Gransnet forums

Chat

What should I do with my granny's engagement ring?

(66 Posts)
singingnutty Sat 04-Feb-23 23:37:15

I have a dilemma concerning the engagement ring which belonged to my grandmother (my Dad's mum) which she gave to me, I think because I was her first grandchild. It's not a very valuable ring and in fact I would never wear it because her marriage was not a happy one - my grandfather, who I never met, left her for another woman when my father was eighteen. She did play quite a large part in my life when I was a small child - we lived a few streets away from her. However, I came to think that the ring ought to have gone to her daughter, my aunt. When my mother died I inherited her rings and thought that was very fitting. None of these rings would be worth a lot of money and I would never sell them anyway. I heard a few days ago that my aunt has died at the age of 98. She has 3 daughters and some grandchildren. I feel that I ought to pass the engagement ring on to the daughter who has looked after her for the last few years since she had a stroke. When I have talked about my dilemma with friends they have said that it was my grandmother's choice to give the ring to me, so I should not feel guilty about it. I don't have daughters to pass the ring on to. Should I keep it, or give it to my cousin?

Elrel Mon 06-Feb-23 14:52:51

Still - If you feel able discuss the ring with your daughter. ask her what she thinks you should do. If you’re unable to do this donate it to an appropriate charity..

Callistemon21 Mon 06-Feb-23 15:10:45

I think giving it to the charity would be a lovely thing to do, Still, knowing the proceeds of it will go to help others.

Brismum Mon 06-Feb-23 15:38:42

Still. I agree with Elred if you feel you can do it.
Singingnutty. Lots of advice and opinions on here. Do what you feel is best for you.

IrishDancing Mon 06-Feb-23 16:14:58

This thread has really made me think. I have my mother’s engagement ring (to my stepfather who I loved dearly) but I just don’t wear the sort of ring it is. I’ve thought of having it remade somehow so that I could wear it. Mmmm ….

Sardinia2020 Mon 06-Feb-23 16:26:06

Keep it

Jaye53 Mon 06-Feb-23 16:59:48

Spot on Chesnut

holcombemummy60 Mon 06-Feb-23 18:25:14

My wedding ring is my Nans. We had to have it sized up as my fingers are bigger. I treasure it and makes me feel she is with me everyday and it’s nearly 18 years since she passed away .

NannieDeb Mon 06-Feb-23 23:10:12

I agree you should do what makes you feel happiest, and most comfortable. My mum gave me her 2 very thin wedding rings (she was widowed then re-married to my Dad) just before she died. I had them made into a new wedding ring for my marriage later that same year. She also left me a couple of other rings that I would not have worn, so I had them made into a set of modern stacker rings by a very talented jeweller friend. I love wearing them and will pass them on to my DGD eventually.

grammargran Tue 07-Feb-23 09:38:58

All you lucky people! My mum had no jewellery for me to inherit when she died at 45 (I was 12) and, as far as I know, neither did my grandmother (my paternal grandmother died before I was born). All I have of my mum’s is a battered, dented silver locket of very little value but which is priceless to me.

effalump Tue 07-Feb-23 13:20:47

singingnutty They may be worth more than you know. I think gold is around £2500/ounce at the moment. Therefore one gram would be at least £100 and more if there are precious stones in it. If the ring does not hold any sentimental memories for you, you could sell it, or maybe even have it made into another band for yourself or someone in the family. I have both my mums grans engagement ring and my mums original ring, she outgrew that and had another. That one I gave to my niece as a keepsake or to wear.

Supergranuation Tue 07-Feb-23 18:56:37

Have I missed something? It's your grandmother's engagement ring which was given to her by the same man she then married who then left her for another woman? I must admit I do have a terrible habit of speed reading and miss things out but if I am correct I would have no qualms about donating it to a charity shop. At least then someone somewhere will benefit from it. I would think your grandfather would be feeling very sorry for himself as he should and your granny will be sitting on her cloud laughing her socks off!

Maggiemaybe Tue 07-Feb-23 19:33:33

The OP’s grandmother didn’t get rid of it and laugh about it though - she gave it to her eldest grandchild. It obviously still meant something to her.

Callistemon21 Tue 07-Feb-23 19:38:10

However, I came to think that the ring ought to have gone to her daughter, my aunt

If it helps (and if you're still here), singingnutty then, yes, I think it should go down the female side of the family.
That's what we did, although we all had to make the decisions ourselves as no express wishes were made about jewellery.

singingnutty Sat 11-Feb-23 15:19:57

Thanks to everyone who has posted here with advice. I still am not quite sure what to do but I am leaning towards the suggestion someone made of putting together a memory box and the ring could go in there. I would write down many of the memories I have about my grandmother and I have a really nice photo of her to put in as well. I would also put in memories about other family members no longer here and small items which belonged to them. I like this idea. I have a silver napkin ring which belonged to my maternal grandfather and which has the date of my grandparents silver wedding engraved inside it. The memory would be a good place for it. Once again, thanks to all - I have had a lot of food for thought.

silverlining48 Sat 11-Feb-23 15:27:33

That seems a really good idea singing, glad it’s been decided.