Gransnet forums

Chat

Am I alone thinking this about King Charles today?

(100 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 07-Mar-23 16:20:21

He & Camilla arrived in Colchester. As the limousine drew up, Charles got out of the car and walked straight off to be saluted at and greeted. But my gaze strayed to Camilla who struggled on what looked like a springy soft mattress on the car floor, to get her balance and get herself out of the vehicle.

Look, I know her husband is the King but the optics just looked bad. What happened to common courtesy? Could he not have waited one minute to assist his 75y old wife by offering an arm? Or does his status mean he is above all this?

Poor lady I really felt for her!

MaizieD Tue 07-Mar-23 19:19:04

Was there booing? I had the sound turned off.

Not being a royal watcher I couldn't really see any problem with them getting out of the car. I think anyone would struggle getting out of a car like that. It doesn't exactly promote elegance, does it?

I just watched to catch a glimpse of my long ago home town grin

I'll promote it now. If anyone visits it this is a bit worth going to. Those are the gates not only to the castle but also to a really, really nice park.

mokryna Tue 07-Mar-23 19:30:43

How old was Queen Elizabeth 11 when her elder son complained she was too old to serve the country? Just asking. I think I have been watching too much Netflix.

Elegran Tue 07-Mar-23 19:48:57

Maybe they were both feeling the cold, Charles with his hand tucked into his pocket (doesn't he have a hand health problem?), Camilla wearing boots and with a rug over her knees that fell to the car floor when she moved. Perhaps the brown hat was a warmer last-minute choice?

Pittcity Tue 07-Mar-23 19:52:02

I was in Colchester today and caught several glimpses. She did look uncomfortable whereas Charles was in his element.
It was freezing and she was bundled up in hat, coat and boots. Over 2 hours meeting and listening to enough people to fill 2 days. I bet she was glad to get home.
The lady in waiting was wearing heels but was a lot younger.

Pittcity Tue 07-Mar-23 19:54:00

Yes there was booing....a large presence of the "Not my King" group. Seems odd that they don't just stay at home as I don't see what point they're trying to make at occasions like this.

Pittcity Tue 07-Mar-23 19:56:09

Nannylovesshopping

Tbh she was probably safer in the car, picking your way through the pot holes here is challenging to say the least😳

The council had been frantically filling the ones in the High Street in the last week.

MaizieD Tue 07-Mar-23 20:29:52

Pittcity

Nannylovesshopping

Tbh she was probably safer in the car, picking your way through the pot holes here is challenging to say the least😳

The council had been frantically filling the ones in the High Street in the last week.

I do hope the Castle Park hasn't gone downhill in a similar fashion. It has always been a lovely area; beautifully planted and maintained. But it's at least 4 years since I last visited.

Poor old Colchester. It was a lovely town 50 years ago...

Pittcity Tue 07-Mar-23 20:39:42

Maizie Castle Park is as lovely as ever and has been improved in recent years as it's run by Colchester Council. The roads and pavements are in the realm of Essex County Council and we believe they've forgotten about Colchester.

Jaxjacky Tue 07-Mar-23 20:48:01

Camilla had covid not so long ago so may be a bit wobbly.

25Avalon Tue 07-Mar-23 20:58:19

Camilla knows her place. She does not try to upstage Charles and is very supportive. That’s what he likes.

Sammz21 Tue 07-Mar-23 21:23:55

I've always thought the reason they can't hover around when they get out of cars, is due to it being a security risk.
Which is why they exit quickly and walk across to the venue.

lemsip Tue 07-Mar-23 21:28:41

The King and Queen Consort were met with a mix of boos and cheers as they visited Colchester today and were accosted by anti-monarch protesters including conspiracy theorist Piers Corbyn.

Crowds of well-wishers had gathered to greet the monarch, who had travelled to Colchester, Essex, to mark its newly awarded city status.

But among them were anti-monarch protesters who waved 'Not My King' banners and shouted at the Royal to 'come over and talk to your critics'.

Urmstongran Wed 08-Mar-23 08:02:46

I agree Avalon I think Camilla knows how to soothe his ruffled feathers. Or petulance. Or pen mishaps. I get the impression he rather enjoys the finest things in life (thanks to the influence of his spendthrift grandmother the Queen Mum whose daughter paid her enormous debts when she died) and is charming when things go his own way but I also think he can be easily irritated. No wonder Camilla likes her own space occasionally. I think he’d be hard work. “There, there dear”.

ParlorGames Wed 08-Mar-23 08:16:24

That link only shows a crowd of people - no footage of a royal car, King Charles, or a wobbly Camilla.

biglouis Wed 08-Mar-23 09:57:21

In the 1960s young ladies used to be given lessons on how to get out of a car elegantly without showing everything when they were wearing a short skirt! The idea is to swing out your legs - keeping them together - and then stand up. Someone in Camilla's position would expect an aide to be standing outside ready to offer his arm if necessary. My nephew does this for me (without being asked) when we get out of a car or taxi.

welbeck Wed 08-Mar-23 13:17:41

that's only suitable when getting out of small/regular cars, not a limousine where you have to clamber across a spongy floor from the far side, while bent over, to even reach the door.
probably equates to a sort of work-out.

MaizieD Wed 08-Mar-23 13:35:28

welbeck

that's only suitable when getting out of small/regular cars, not a limousine where you have to clamber across a spongy floor from the far side, while bent over, to even reach the door.
probably equates to a sort of work-out.

😂

maddyone Wed 08-Mar-23 13:38:20

I really think the monarchy is past its sell by date, but I don’t agree with booing at all. Very disrespectful.

MaizieD Wed 08-Mar-23 13:39:00

Pittcity

Maizie Castle Park is as lovely as ever and has been improved in recent years as it's run by Colchester Council. The roads and pavements are in the realm of Essex County Council and we believe they've forgotten about Colchester.

So glad to hear that, Pittcity. I love that place.

Chestnut Wed 08-Mar-23 14:51:26

Pittcity

Yes there was booing....a large presence of the "Not my King" group. Seems odd that they don't just stay at home as I don't see what point they're trying to make at occasions like this.

Exactly this. Why are two elderly people travelling around in the cold and shaking hands with people in the street? It's completely pointless. I know the people might enjoy it but what does it achieve that makes it worthwhile? It's just not necessary for them to be seen in public every five minutes just for the sake of it.

Chestnut Wed 08-Mar-23 14:52:30

I do think someone should design a vehicle that allows an easy exit to the street, where they can just stand up and step down without all the bending and scrambling. Very useful especially for ladies in posh dresses and shoes, elderly folk or pregnant women. I do wonder whether Charles and Camilla might go tumbling one day as they get older, and I always had this worry for the Queen but somehow she never did.

welbeck Wed 08-Mar-23 16:05:23

a kind of popemobile ?
kingmobile.
adapted fork-lift truck, so they can maintain an easy semi-seated/standing position, with almost level access on exit.
bullet-proof glass roof surround for all-weather waving.

Grandma70s Wed 08-Mar-23 17:00:39

Whatever your opinion of the monarchy, it is just plain bad manners to boo visitors.

NotSpaghetti Wed 08-Mar-23 17:48:02

it looked as if she was stamping a blasted blanket down so she didn't trip over it. - exactly Baggs!

Wyllow3 Wed 08-Mar-23 17:59:23

Protocol, probably they had talked it over as in "you'd better go ahead": possibly, Camilla, feeling wobbly, preferred the attention going properly to Charles getting out to meet and greet. Practically, I think the door opener could have given the help quickly and no fuss but then we don't know what Camilla wanted do we? Not letting vulnerabilities show....