Gransnet forums

Chat

Am I alone thinking this about King Charles today?

(99 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 07-Mar-23 16:20:21

He & Camilla arrived in Colchester. As the limousine drew up, Charles got out of the car and walked straight off to be saluted at and greeted. But my gaze strayed to Camilla who struggled on what looked like a springy soft mattress on the car floor, to get her balance and get herself out of the vehicle.

Look, I know her husband is the King but the optics just looked bad. What happened to common courtesy? Could he not have waited one minute to assist his 75y old wife by offering an arm? Or does his status mean he is above all this?

Poor lady I really felt for her!

Cabbie21 Tue 07-Mar-23 16:22:09

Was there not an aide to help her?

Baggs Tue 07-Mar-23 16:23:01

What kind of shoes was Camilla wearing?

Baggs Tue 07-Mar-23 16:23:17

Also what Cabbie said.

Baggs Tue 07-Mar-23 16:27:17

On another occasion I saw a bit of video of them both arriving somewhere and it was Camilla who got out first and went straight over to greet people. She didn't wait for Charles.

eazybee Tue 07-Mar-23 16:30:06

I think it is protocol; I remember a similar thing happening with Princess Margaret and Prince Charles, many years ago.

NotSpaghetti Tue 07-Mar-23 16:36:42

Is this the footage?
metro.co.uk/video/charles-camilla-arrive-colchester-celebrate-new-city-status-2892139/

The inside floor of the vehicle does look very odd!

Norah Tue 07-Mar-23 16:37:55

I believe part to royal protocol.

Camilla has helpers, hopefully helping. The King and Queen follow the rules, unkind as the rules seem to public people.

Urmstongran Tue 07-Mar-23 16:44:53

It looked kinda spongey didn’t it NotSpaghetti?
She was wearing block heels Baggs and no-one moved forward to assist.

I thought it looked a poor show. If I were getting out of a car Himself (and definitely my stepfather) would at least wait for me to land my feet on the ground before setting off. In fact my stepfather who has impeccable manners would not walk off first at all. Then again, we’re not royals.

Nannylovesshopping Tue 07-Mar-23 16:45:10

Tbh she was probably safer in the car, picking your way through the pot holes here is challenging to say the least😳

Blossoming Tue 07-Mar-23 17:29:25

Yes Urms, I thought exactly the same! Leaving an elderly lady to struggle out of the car like that looked so bad.

Riverwalk Tue 07-Mar-23 17:29:35

NotSpaghetti

Is this the footage?
metro.co.uk/video/charles-camilla-arrive-colchester-celebrate-new-city-status-2892139/

The inside floor of the vehicle does look very odd!

Goodness, they both looked very out of sorts and unsure of themselves in that clip.

As for Camilla getting out of the car - it's hard for the person who has to take a few steps to the other door as even in a royal car you have to take those steps whilst being bent over!

Riverwalk Tue 07-Mar-23 17:37:18

I've had another look at the video - think you're being a bit harsh on Charles there Urmst!

She does stagger/plod a bit to get to the door but then she was OK and didn't need any help to step down.

Camilla is now The Queen and gotta get on with it!

Calendargirl Tue 07-Mar-23 17:42:47

Have just looked at the footage.

Charles also looked a bit wobbly getting out, well they are both no longer spring chickens.

And Camilla had her clutch bag in her right hand, meaning she had to shake hands with two officials with her left hand.

Then she kept fiddling with her coat buttons with same left hand, it seemed to be bothering her (the coat).

As for Charles not helping her, I imagine he thinks an aide will be there.

Poor Camilla, I think many of these engagements are a worry, especially as she is getting older, but it’s part of being married to the King.

Callistemon21 Tue 07-Mar-23 17:56:53

And Camilla had her clutch bag in her right hand, meaning she had to shake hands with two officials with her left hand.

Perhaps her right hand is painful from too much firm handshaking.
Just a gentle shake is fine.

She does look unsure of herself in that clip.

That car doesn't look easy to get out of, best way is to swing your legs out then stand up but the seat looks too far back for that.

Baggs Tue 07-Mar-23 18:06:37

Was she ever a scout? 😉

I had another look at the footage. Yes, plodding rather than anything worse. I thought it looked as if she was stamping a blasted blanket down so she didn't trip over it.

BlueBelle Tue 07-Mar-23 18:16:29

I think it’s was how it was meant to be protocol wise but agree she was plodding about a bit inside the car bit of grape stamping going on there and she usually looks so nice but I didn’t think the brown hat looked right with the black bag boots and gloves
Ahh well who am I to comment

Fleur20 Tue 07-Mar-23 18:19:00

I think she has looked quite frail and nervy recently.

Riverwalk Tue 07-Mar-23 18:27:06

Well, of course the officials shouldn't have been proffering their hands - it's for your elders and betters to extend their hands.

JackyB Tue 07-Mar-23 18:33:09

There was a chappie holding the door, you would have thought he could have offered a hand.

welbeck Tue 07-Mar-23 18:39:47

wouldn't it be nice if charles took on the last monarch's practice of wearing bright colours in public.
he'd look snazzy in a bright fuschia overcoat, or lemon yellow, or lime green.

ginny Tue 07-Mar-23 18:43:08

I think she was just making sure she put the most comfort ( for her)foot out first. Didn’t seem to struggle actually getting out.
Was Charles never taught that it was bad manners to keep hands in your pockets , even one hand.?

Callistemon21 Tue 07-Mar-23 18:57:14

welbeck

wouldn't it be nice if charles took on the last monarch's practice of wearing bright colours in public.
he'd look snazzy in a bright fuschia overcoat, or lemon yellow, or lime green.

A la Michael Portillo!

Zoejory Tue 07-Mar-23 18:59:34

Maybe the booing was causing a bit of wobble

Calendargirl Tue 07-Mar-23 19:13:06

I didn’t have sound on so didn’t hear any booing.