Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you offer help or give it?

(64 Posts)
kittylester Thu 09-Mar-23 09:12:18

There have been a couple of threads about people needing more help, mostly when they or their partners have health issues.

I'm an offerer as I don't like to presume what the person might need.

But, before a good friend came home from hospital after a long stay, another friend went round and cleaned from top to bottom - changing beds too. My friend's husband was a bit discombobulated.

My contribution was to keep in touch and keep offering.

On the Carers' courses that I help run, we emphasise that people should take up offers of help.

But what do you do?

Which would you prefer?

Callistemon21 Mon 13-Mar-23 10:54:19

kittylester

I would be horrified if someone came in and cleaned my house top to bottom like my friend's other friend did.

My friend would never be disloyal enough to say what she felt but I imagine she was quite taken aback.

I would be horrified if someone came in and cleaned my house top to bottom like my friend's other friend did

Me too, kittylester!

Perhaps if it was family doing it, it might be different but not a friend.
We're offering help at the moment to friends, he's in hospital and I'm sure she will ask if she needs anything. So far she has just suggested that DH could visit him when he comes home so that he can cheer him up (or, more likely, compare notes).

Callistemon21 Mon 13-Mar-23 11:00:37

GagaJo

kittylester

I would be horrified if someone came in and cleaned my house top to bottom like my friend's other friend did.

My friend would never be disloyal enough to say what she felt but I imagine she was quite taken aback.

I'd love it. Sick or well. Anyone that feels they want to do this is very welcome.

😂

When I used to pick up DGD from playgroup and take her back to her own house for lunch then to her afternoon class, I used to wash up and tidy the kitchen as I knew they'd all left in a rush in the mornings.

Then I read on Gransnet that this is an absolute No-no in your DC's home.

Callistemon21 Mon 13-Mar-23 11:05:14

annsixty

Another of your very harsh posts Grammygrammy
Not in the spirit of GN.

👏👏👏

Yammy Mon 13-Mar-23 12:02:41

I am usually an offerer after getting my fingers burned too many times.
My mother when alive lived hundreds of miles from me. She was very ill, I had to go and took a teenage DD with me.
The house had certainly slipped from my mother's high standards through her ill health.
We decided to tidy the house and sort it into what it had been like a few years previously, for when she came out of the hospital.
She was not grateful and I vowed to be an offerer from then on only to be condemned by MIL for not being a giver.
I am also wary of being an offerer these days after being drawn into so many things beyond what I had offered.
DH says"Soft touch",is tattooed on my forehead.sad

dragonfly46 Mon 13-Mar-23 22:30:32

Callistemon21

GagaJo

kittylester

I'd love it. Sick or well. Anyone that feels they want to do this is very welcome.

😂

When I used to pick up DGD from playgroup and take her back to her own house for lunch then to her afternoon class, I used to wash up and tidy the kitchen as I knew they'd all left in a rush in the mornings.

Where did you read that Callistemon? I frequently wash up at DS’s house!

Callistemon21 Mon 13-Mar-23 22:53:57

dragonfly46

Callistemon21

GagaJo

kittylester

😂

Where did you read that Callistemon? I frequently wash up at DS’s house!

On Gransnet, dragonfly! It was a while ago, about interfering MILs but don't ask me which thread as there are so many about interfering MILs.

I don't think DIL minded at all.

welbeck Tue 14-Mar-23 00:04:09

i sometimes feel resentful of how much i have to do for a neighbour.
she is v vulnerable, and i feel kind of snookered.
if she was totally alone, it would be different.
but her AC are v hands off, and she would suffer if others did not do what they ought to do.
the social worker said they should do more.
but they are so disengaged as to be less than useless.
she has multiple complex morbidities.
one of her AC is a bit distant in terms of location.
the other one uses her house as a dumping ground, and barks orders, inc telling her to stop eating.
she is both in awe of him, almost infatuated, and scared, dominated.
it would be better for all concerned if he never came.
it is a tricky situation, and causes me stress.

biglouis Tue 14-Mar-23 04:16:19

I once got lumbered by offering to fill out a DLA form for an elderly neighbour. She took liberties and I soon found myself reluctantly functioning as her virtual PA. If I said I couldnt do something she turned on the tears. She would come around when she knew I was working from home and chat for hours. Then having wasted an afternoon I still had my work to do. She had a grown up son at home but somehow he was "not good" at doing the things she wanted me to do (shopping and social stuff).

I stepped back from the relationship by being gradually less and less available or easy to contact. I told her that the university was no longer allowing staff to work at home and we had to attend the office during normal hours. That cut out the home visits. Fortunately she was not an immediate neighbour so I did not have to pass her house to get home.

Caller ID was available so I used to mostly ignore the calls when I saw her number. I had no compunction about doing this as she had her son (with car) ar home and it was time he made an effort to help her. I was glad when they moved away.

Nowadays I have made an art form of being extremely difficult to reach by people whom I dont wish to reach me. I am also selectively deaf, short sighted and absent minded to such people.

Marmight Tue 14-Mar-23 04:59:08

My ex neighbour (I’ve recently moved away) always put my wheelie bins away only because the sight of them out of place & untidy on the driveway upset him! As soon as they’d been emptied he shot down the path and put them back neatly in their place. Suited me! I think it was the only help he ever gave. Think Mr Fussy or Ove!. When he was away I reciprocated and also watered his umpteen pot plants and picked up the post so possible burglars wouldn’t see it 🤣 but I drew the line at opening & closing the curtains 2x a day for 3 weeks at a time!

Callistemon21 Tue 14-Mar-23 15:08:11

I had an overhelpful 'friend' many years ago.

She took over my life and I found it hard to say No because she was just trying to be helpful.
She didnt clean but she did try to point out what she thought could be in bad taste in my house!!

GrammyGrammy Wed 15-Mar-23 12:54:13

micmc47

Grammygrammy, you're beginning to look like a Troll, who enjoys trying to upset people with your aggressive, rude input. Either change your attitude or go away.

Offity tuck. You do you.

GrammyGrammy Wed 15-Mar-23 13:01:51

welbeck

i sometimes feel resentful of how much i have to do for a neighbour.
she is v vulnerable, and i feel kind of snookered.
if she was totally alone, it would be different.
but her AC are v hands off, and she would suffer if others did not do what they ought to do.
the social worker said they should do more.
but they are so disengaged as to be less than useless.
she has multiple complex morbidities.
one of her AC is a bit distant in terms of location.
the other one uses her house as a dumping ground, and barks orders, inc telling her to stop eating.
she is both in awe of him, almost infatuated, and scared, dominated.
it would be better for all concerned if he never came.
it is a tricky situation, and causes me stress.

It isn't your place to be looking after your neighbour to the extent that you are caused stress. It is good there is a social worker. They are allowing you to pick up the load and you are letting them. Contact them and tell them to set up a proper care plan for her and not include you in it. Extract yourself. This is too much for one neighbour. Bless you for landing yourself in it...but it is now time, for your own health's sake, to get out of it.

grumppa Wed 15-Mar-23 13:06:26

If I was OP's friend's husband I'd be more than discombobulated: I'd be livid!