Gransnet forums

Chat

We said we wouldn’t do it again but we did…and got the same result

(91 Posts)
bytheway Thu 16-Mar-23 18:01:46

So we are downsizing and before the house goes up for sale we are having a huge clear out.

Lots of stuff of no use to us so we decided to put them on freegle, which if you didn’t know is a site where you can post things you’re willing to give away. People interested can then email you and hopefully someone will come and get item at time convenient to both parties. (Similar to another site called Freecycle)

First item, lady wants us to deliver to her. Bit of a cheek considering it’s free but prepared to do so locally. She’s a good 25 min drive so we say no but she’s welcome to collect if still interested. Apparently she no longer wants item.

Second and third items: chap emails wants them - will pick up between 7 and 8pm last night. We move items to front door ready for collection. He doesn’t turn up.

No word til this morning, he emails again, apologising and says can he collect tonight by 8pm. Hopefully he will

We then remembered that we had used this site a few years ago to get rid of unwanted items and had similar experiences of people saying they would come and not turning up. And we said, at the time, next time it all goes straight to the dump!

Clearly we forgot.

Has anyone else had experience of using these sites. Any similar stories?

harrigran Fri 17-Mar-23 07:13:47

Freecycle didn't really work for us, people rarely turned up. One exception was a lady who ran a cattery 100 miles away and wanted our new, unused laser printer. She arrived with a friend to do the lifting and a bunch of flowers for me.
When we sold our second home we gave the entire contents to a hospice charity but it cost us almost £500 to have it delivered and they charged us storage until they sold it.

JaneJudge Fri 17-Mar-23 07:15:32

yes, the world is full of time wasters and they live amongst us. Have any of you ever posted anything for sale on facebook maketplace? You get some right chancers on there 'oh please can i have your xbox listed for £100 for free because my dog has died and the kids are so sad' type stuff. It is shocking

Allsorts Fri 17-Mar-23 07:23:06

Once I’ve had my use of something, I donate it to charity, give it away or take it to the recycling centre. I know I’ve lost money by doing this but I consider it’s my added donation to a good cause. I don’t want people whom I don’t know coming to my home, so for me it works.

Calendargirl Fri 17-Mar-23 07:51:22

No good for large kitchen items, and also no good if you’re not reasonably agile, but we have got rid of a lot of stuff at car boots.

We try and do one a year in the summer, some stuff you practically give away, but it clears space and nice to see people pleased with some of our old treasures.

JackyB Fri 17-Mar-23 09:51:45

I never believe anyone will turn up until they're actually there. If someone gets there before them, that's the other person's bad luck. First come first served. No holding something back for someone who's not there yet and might never come.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Redhead56 Fri 17-Mar-23 10:33:49

I gave up on Freecycle the demands by fellow posters irritated me take photos deliver to me and worst of all not turning up.
I give to the charity YMCA now and they are unlike some charities very grateful for every contribution.

Hetty58 Fri 17-Mar-23 10:41:45

I still use Freecycle - but if the first person doesn't turn up I lose patience and just leave it outside. I'm amazed by what people will take if I simply leave it in the front garden (near the pavement but not on it) with a note saying 'New home needed, please take'.

Tenko Fri 17-Mar-23 10:51:12

When my dm downsized . We used the BHF for furniture. They turn up on time and are happy to take furniture except sofas as they need a fire safety label . We used a local charity with a huge warehouse for smaller items. This charity gets used by film, tv and theatre people looking for props from certain periods .
The problem with free cycle etc is most people wanting stuff don’t have transport.

HeavenLeigh Fri 17-Mar-23 11:02:01

Yes I’ve had the same thing happen, people contact say they are coming at certain times never bother, I give up now! Their loss as lot of my stuff is brand new unwanted presents, I just take to charity shop they are always pleased.

overthehill Fri 17-Mar-23 11:08:11

Yes I use freecycle. I've learnt a few things over the years. I go to first person to respond by email and tell them when it is convenient for them to call and see if they reply I also give them my post code (not the door number) if it's too far they won't come that's sorted from the off. If they can't do that I offer another time, but that's it. After that go onto next person when a date/time is agreed I give them my address. Regarding others I tell them someone is supposed to be collecting and should they not show I will get back to them. I don't get too much trouble and recently I gave away two matching sets of duvets and the person was so pleased he wrote back thanking me....nice.

cc Fri 17-Mar-23 11:17:13

We took most of my mother's furniture to the local Sue Ryder where they have regular auctions. They won't take upholstered furniture without a fireproof label. Last time we moved we asked a local charity to take a really nice pine table and the driver ummed and aahed about taking it when he arrived - I won't bother with them again. Many local authorities will take usable furniture or know people who will, it seems such a shame to just scrap it.

cc Fri 17-Mar-23 11:23:17

My daughter has tried the local free sites to get rid of stuff but, as others have said, they very often don't turn up. When she's sold things for a small amount the buyers who do turn up always quarrel about what they'll give her.
When she's taken stuff from there she's normally turned up to collect it (single parent, with her two young children) only to find that is needs disassembling or carrying to the car and no-one to help her carry it.
We live on a large private estate and people simply go on our WhatsApp and offer it for nothing, or for a small sum if it's worth much or new. There are always people who are willing to help with moving it if you ask.
I've got rid of old baby chairs and various other things this way, at least you know it's going to be of use to someone else.
What irritates me is if someone takes something for nothing and then you see it advertised for sale.

cc Fri 17-Mar-23 11:26:41

The labourer who works for the builder who did our renovation recently was moving house and took our kitchen equipment, most of which was relatively new and had been left by the previous owner. It's so nice when somebody appreciates what you give them, rather than quibbling about a tiny mark on the side or moaning when you won't deliver it.

sandelf Fri 17-Mar-23 11:33:12

You have to be very clear about what and when and not get bothered if people change their minds. You are the one giving away - if someone wants the item they should do any associated work - not you.

Baggs Fri 17-Mar-23 12:28:01

I'm another who used Freecycle successfully when we last moved house. People came when they said they would.

Doodledog Fri 17-Mar-23 19:13:05

I don't mind dealers on Freecycle, but I don't like them on the local recycling page, which is expressly intended to be for people up cycling and recycling things. We get everything from old doors and plant pots to items of furniture suitable for painting or staining and making new. It worked really well until the owner expanded the are from Hometown to Homecounty and the dealers moved in. It's not what the site is for (if people just want rid of something there are places like Freegle and Freecycle) and it lessens the chances of someone getting an item they can work with.

M0nica Fri 17-Mar-23 20:59:10

I am using Freecycle less because of people not turning up, or saying they wanr something and then not responding.

The worst we had was seeing something we had given away on Freegle for sale at local auction rooms a few weeks later (it fetched £20)

Froglady Sun 19-Mar-23 11:10:19

Yes, I use Freecycle to offer things and have before resigned after getting the runaround several times.
But I have rejoined and it's a lot better this time around. Just put a soul maker and a coffee and herb grinder on this morning so I'll see how it goes. No good keeping things thst I'm not using. Ic it doesn't work out, I'll take them to charity shop.
But people do annoy me when you are giving something away for free and they mess you around- think it's because it's free that people think it doesn't matter if they don't turn up. Weird psychology!!

Rileysnana Sun 19-Mar-23 11:10:57

Experienced something similar a few weeks ago. I had no room for a medium sized chest freezer in my kitchen anymore. Put it on a local site. To be fair I went in order of people asking. 2 no shows one person kept saying tomorrow, tomorrow. I left it at the side of my house for them to collect it. Still a no show. Last person turned up a few hours after telling him it was available. Who would have thought it would be so difficult to give free stuff away.

Froglady Sun 19-Mar-23 11:11:02

That meant to read soup maker not soul maker!!

civetcat Sun 19-Mar-23 11:14:55

I've used Freecycle/Freegle to get things for the home and to give things away.
I good way to spot timewasters is to see what sort of response people give. I offer to those who take the time to say 'yes, I'd really like this, when can I collect?' and ignore those who leave a v short message and a mobile as they usually don't show up.

SueEH Sun 19-Mar-23 11:17:54

I use Freecycle fairly regularly- no Freegle close to me - and find it a great way of getting rid of large items that the council would charge to take away. Two very large and heavy bookcases went last week. Of course there’s the ones who want bells on - free delivery etc - but I’ve always had several people interested in items so if someone is too fussy or doesn’t turn up just get in touch with the next on the list.

Noname Sun 19-Mar-23 11:24:26

Yes, we have a local Facebook group for helping local families in need. The idea is you post your unwanted item with a photo and the first person to request can collect but then give a suitable monetary donation to the charity.
It beggars belief that there are comments like “yes if it’s still available “ or “yes if you will deliver” Honestly! No manners, it makes my blood boil!!

Nannashirlz Sun 19-Mar-23 11:27:37

Yes and I was put off using them because a few things I give away the same person put them on Facebook for sale and I said I give you them for free and she said not my fault your a soft touch. So I now give anything I’m getting rid of to local charities to drop off or them pick up. And I’m helping them too.

Dizzyribs Sun 19-Mar-23 11:28:43

I’m a regular freecycler and have not had any problems at all. Once or twice the collector has texted to rearrange the time at the last minute, but never been let down. I suspect it depends where you live.
I’ve also given large furniture to British Heart Foundation. They collect when they say they will and are very efficient.