Gransnet forums

Chat

We said we wouldn’t do it again but we did…and got the same result

(91 Posts)
bytheway Thu 16-Mar-23 18:01:46

So we are downsizing and before the house goes up for sale we are having a huge clear out.

Lots of stuff of no use to us so we decided to put them on freegle, which if you didn’t know is a site where you can post things you’re willing to give away. People interested can then email you and hopefully someone will come and get item at time convenient to both parties. (Similar to another site called Freecycle)

First item, lady wants us to deliver to her. Bit of a cheek considering it’s free but prepared to do so locally. She’s a good 25 min drive so we say no but she’s welcome to collect if still interested. Apparently she no longer wants item.

Second and third items: chap emails wants them - will pick up between 7 and 8pm last night. We move items to front door ready for collection. He doesn’t turn up.

No word til this morning, he emails again, apologising and says can he collect tonight by 8pm. Hopefully he will

We then remembered that we had used this site a few years ago to get rid of unwanted items and had similar experiences of people saying they would come and not turning up. And we said, at the time, next time it all goes straight to the dump!

Clearly we forgot.

Has anyone else had experience of using these sites. Any similar stories?

Froglady Sun 19-Mar-23 18:05:38

harrigran

Freecycle didn't really work for us, people rarely turned up. One exception was a lady who ran a cattery 100 miles away and wanted our new, unused laser printer. She arrived with a friend to do the lifting and a bunch of flowers for me.
When we sold our second home we gave the entire contents to a hospice charity but it cost us almost £500 to have it delivered and they charged us storage until they sold it.

That is just ridiculous- they are getting the stuff for free, and charge you for them storing it uny they sell it? Mickey taking.

Grammaretto Sun 19-Mar-23 18:19:33

If you live in a city the charities collect, no problem but if you are more rural or out of town they don't in my experience.
(Deep sigh)
It's about time we copy NZ where you weigh your car before and after and pay to deposit things in the recycle.
It is well staffed and you are told exactly where to put your stuff. My DS tells me this

There is a tip shop as well where you can buy things others have dumped.

Here our local recycle tries hard but they aren't able to take old fridges and often you are just told to put it all in the general waste skip.

I love your exception Harrigran smile

Dempie55 Sun 19-Mar-23 18:37:18

I've got rid of loads of things on our local Freecycle site. Nearly always women who come to collect! Yes, there have been a couple of timewasters, but most things get snapped up within 24 hours. However, there is one individual who keeps on snaffling items as soon as they are put onto the site - rumour is that she sells the stuff at car boot sales each weekend! Most people don't mind though - they just want rid of their items.

Amalegra Sun 19-Mar-23 22:15:34

I always arrange larger unwanted items to be picked up by a local charity prior to moving or when just clearing out. It’s free and I know they go to a good cause which helps raise much needed money plus gives someone a bargain. A win win situation as far as I’m concerned. From what I’ve heard from others these free sites are a bit hit and miss.

Bignanny2 Sun 19-Mar-23 22:53:28

Yeah - same experience with selling things on local face book. Will you deliver? No it’s £5 it’s worth £25-£30 new, I don’t drive, if you want it that badly surely you can come and collect it. Or the ones that turn up to collect and say at that point ‘oh will you accept £xx ?’

LynW Sun 19-Mar-23 23:10:16

Crazygranny, sadly jumble sales are a thing of the past in a lot of areas.

SuperTinny Sun 19-Mar-23 23:47:18

Similar experience with Facebook Marketplace.

One guy messed me around with collection times and when he eventually turned up said he didn't have any money so could he take the items on his way to the cash machine..........hmm.

Another couple turned up on time for some tall IKEA bookcases. I couldn't imagine how they were going to fit them in their small car. No matter, they proceeded to dismantle them in our living room where we had been watching TV. I automatically started to help until I caught my husbands eye..... we sheepishly moved to the kitchen and left them to it..........one hour later they were gone!

Have you considered charities who will collect from your house?

V3ra Mon 20-Mar-23 00:12:28

Joseanne

The delivery issue is problematic when trying to offer large items for free. I currently have a big John Lewis larder fridge only 3 years old that I no longer need in our new kitchen, but I can't be expected to deliver it however close the people who want it might be.

I've kept my Dad's fridge freezer, it's in my garage. We switch it on at Christmas for all the extra food and it's really useful!

suelld Mon 20-Mar-23 00:23:19

I saw a ‘Wanted’ ad on my local ‘ Next Door’ - the Neighbourhood site. They wanted boxes for moving I had a few strong moving boxes, as I’d recently had a load delivered to me (with things in from an auction). so rather then recycle I answered the Ad and arranged a time for him to collect. He didn’t turn up , no word, so emailed him to ask, he said sorry and arranged another /day - again no show - so fed up with this after a week I put them up on the same site with a note that I’d been let down by X and anyone else interested. He had the gall to complain that I’d named him! THEN A person who literally lived just around the corner answered, ‘just what she was looking for’ …. Arranged time - No show - didn’t know her house number and they were too bulky for me to deliver, so tried again - arranged - No show! I put them out for recycling! Also for the first man I answered to his ‘want ‘ I had also put ready bubble wrap for him ! I got a reply from the Next door site from another lady who said she’d also answered him and again - no show twice!! Who are these people who have all your info but can’t be bothered to contact you and say they’ve changed their minds or have a problem and can’t come??? I despair! Having said that, a long time ago I did advertise a couple of things on Gumtree for money and the people who answered came and collected and PAID. They were older peoples - the ones who didn’t bother to come or apologise were younger - What is it with no manners nowadays?

Modompodom Mon 20-Mar-23 09:32:35

I have used Nextdoor to give things away for free, and most people have been extremely grateful, and have even given me a small thank you gift.
I have had a few time wasters on Gumtree. They disappear into oblivion once you try and get them to tell you when they will be collecting.
I haven't used Freegle for a while.

Maggymay Mon 20-Mar-23 09:51:42

I use Facebook marketplace to get rid of stuff for free,it usually works well. To make sure it is gone quick I always say must be collected today no holding.

Patsy70 Mon 20-Mar-23 10:01:21

Had similar experiences using free recycling sites, but had good results donating to BHF and using nextdoor.com.

Summerfly Mon 20-Mar-23 13:57:10

Yes I agree. BHF are always grateful for anything donated, as long as it’s in decent, clean condition. I’ve donated several large items. They pick up too which is a bonus!

LizH13 Mon 20-Mar-23 14:20:39

Our local Facebook area has a Reuse and Recycle page that is really good. I’m always amazed what people offer and it all seems to go. You put the item on for a minimum of a hour. And then do a draw to offer (if there is more than one request) Because it’s local most people are reliable.

haighsue Mon 20-Mar-23 16:28:36

Emmäus are brilliant. They’ll take whatever you have, renovate, recycle or sell as it is. They’ll pick up your stuff for free. We used the French organisation when we were clearing our house there recently. They provide work in their workshops and accommodation for their workers, who would be homeless otherwise. Facebay can be all right but lots of scammers about, who get very nasty when you won’t pay a carrier for the transport upfront (they say they’ll repay you - don’t believe a word! )