Gransnet forums

Chat

Insomnia - What works, what doesn't, for you ?

(104 Posts)
AnnieGurt Mon 27-Mar-23 00:59:18

The Curse of Insomnia will be familiar to so many ladies after menopause.
I've been tracking foods and activities to see what promotes sleep for me, and what aggravates the insomnia.

I'm an easy-to-sleep, waking at 1-2 and unable to get back to sleep, type of insomniac.
However, too much alcohol, any white potatoes, tomatoes and various other foods, can prevent ANY sleep.
Beefsteak, on the other hand, and cooked vegetables, can help me get a few hours.

What's your observation and experience ?

Bicycle1 Wed 29-Mar-23 11:48:53

I was like yourself , tried everything , here’s what actually works , look up Tom Coleman sleep expert life saver on Instagram gives advice free , cut out caffeine , I get up and go to bed at same time regardless of sleep , use sprays not sure if works but smells nice 😊 hope this helps

Juicylucy Wed 29-Mar-23 11:49:31

This resonates with me. I’m a go to bed around midnight lay awake until around 3am then wake around 8.30. My pattern is horrendous but I cannot seem to break it 5 hrs is most I can get and it’s been like that for 6 years now. If I go to bed earlier it makes no difference so I just sit up watching TV or scrolling or reading as I’m never tired before midnight. I’m still active next day it never hinders my everyday life I’m not sedentary person anyway. It’s abit concerning as regards to my health as I know it can affect it. I’m 66 and way past the menopause I came off HRT 10years ago it was my decision.

LiliWenFach44 Wed 29-Mar-23 11:51:49

I’ve been a wretched sleeper all my life!
My GP put me on Amitriptyline 20 mg at night to help with sleep and I’ve taken it for some time but it really was ineffective… then about a month ago I mentioned to him whether there was something else I could try and he has put me on Gabapentin 300 mg at nighttime . I now sleep really well, and wake up at about 5 am and suck a Dr Bach Rescue Remedy Night pastille and drift back to sleep until 7.15 am! Don’t know I’m born! Just hope it lasts!
I have PMR and on Prednisone and MTX and a lot of other meds which I’m sure doesn’t help, but the Gabapentin has been a salvation! I really do sympathise with everyone who has a sleep problem. It’s a curse. Fortunately both my children sleep really well… although my parents and siblings were/are insomniacs too. 😴

Kartush Wed 29-Mar-23 11:55:02

Insomnia and I are old friends, sometimes I fall asleep easily sometimes it takes me hours sometimes I don’t sleep at all. When I am having difficulties I read my kindle or just get up and watch netflix. Either way, I have stopped worrying about it, it is what it is

GrammarGrandma Wed 29-Mar-23 11:56:25

I have high cortisol all day and into the evening - the stress hormone although I am not knowingly stressed! I've had it tested in 2009, 2013 and 2022 - always the same. In 2013 I went GF and then slet well for 7 or 8 years but the insomnia came back 18 months ago when I had to go on the anti-oestrogen pill after breast cancer. I take a Zopiclone about twice a week.

sandwichgeneration Wed 29-Mar-23 11:57:00

Taichinan, full moon has always had an effect on sleeping for me as well as my grandma and mother. Our bodies are made up of lots of water and, just like the moon's gravitational pull on the tides, I imagine it also has an effect on us.

BlueBalou Wed 29-Mar-23 11:58:09

I try not to fret if I have a poor night, I get up and have a hot drink and a biscuit, read for a bit and if I still don’t feel sleepy I just accept it. Some nights I have 4 hours sleep and that’s it. Last night my restless legs started again (seems to be when I have done too much walking?), I tossed and turned from 10 to 12, had a hot drink and read until 4, slept until 7.45. Luckily being retired I don’t have to worry about work, if it happened when I was working it was far more annoying.

Grannyjacq1 Wed 29-Mar-23 11:58:21

I think the main thing is not to get too stressed about insomnia. Waking often during the night is hard-wired into people as a safety mechanism (apparently) from when we were hunter-gatherers. Generally the body gets as much sleep as it needs, though all those TV doctors and articles about links between lack of sleep and various illnesses make everyone very stressed about it, exacerbating the insomnia. I have a Fitbit which records sleep each night and the various levels of sleep - deep sleep, light sleep, REM sleep and being awake. I find this interesting - and surprised at how little 'deep sleep' I get each night!

Saggi Wed 29-Mar-23 12:01:25

Nothing has worked so far …even 3 sleeping pills!!

Saggi Wed 29-Mar-23 12:02:28

I ageee with another post… once you realise your sleep allotment is going to be 4 broken hours …learn to live with it! 🤷🏻‍♀️

Saggi Wed 29-Mar-23 12:04:01

I have a fit bit grannijacq1 …my rem sleep is about 40 minutes!

Keffie12 Wed 29-Mar-23 12:06:44

I put on an hour long sleep meditation each night on my phone, off YouTube usually. I cover the phone, with a tissue or something lightweight and leave it on the side. I do that to minimise the light coming from it.

If I wake in the night which I do, I put it back on. It helps me to distract lieing there. Its a hell of alot better than counting sheep 🐑

Ailidh Wed 29-Mar-23 12:12:07

I used to be able to get off to sleep within five minutes, sleep until the alarm, accidentally drop off during Midsomer Murders in the 20:00-22:00 slot, go to bed and repeat.

That all stopped after Cancer/Chemo/Radio ten years ago, and my anxiety about it began to impact every part of my life.

Within the past year, I decided that as I could still drop off in front of the TV (but, like others, become instantly awake as soon as I got into bed) that I'd defy all the normal advice about electronic devices inthe bedroom - none of it worked - and I now get a regular 7-7.5 hours a night.

I watch a dvd of Frasier, the same one every night. If I'm still awake at the end of it, I go back to the beginning. I've never watched it through more than once. Mostly, I'll surface halfway through track 2 or 3 and think, "Wow, I've been asleep after all!", and that reassures me so much I drop off again.

Ilovedragonflies Wed 29-Mar-23 12:12:53

Like others, I too can't sleep in the couple of nights leading to a full moon. Once it has passed, I sleep like a log. I've been like that all my adult life so nothing to do with menopause (and that was a long time ago now!)

HannahLoisLuke Wed 29-Mar-23 12:20:19

I take Inulin, a prebiotic to help with my IBS and a welcome side effect is that I sleep so much better. It’s a powder made from lettuce root which you can mix into any hot or cold drink. Take it about an hour before bedtime and hopefully you’ll get a good nights sleep. Word of warning, start with half a teaspoon and work up to a teaspoon as too much too soon can have a laxative effect.

Mamo Wed 29-Mar-23 12:23:54

I have been a poor sleeper since my first child was born nearly forty years ago now. I’ve tried lots of natural remedies over the years and fine tuned my sleep hygiene habits, such as no screens for two hours before bed, no caffeine, same bedtime and rising times every day, etc. I’ve always had back trouble too, and my pain consultant kept telling me how important sleep is for the healing process, and offering me medication, mainly for nerve pain e.g. amitryptline or gabapentin. Which I consistently refused as I was all too aware of their side effects having been a medical secretary for the past 20 years.
Eventually he suggested a low dose of mirtazipine- normally an anti depressant at 30g or 40g, but found to be effective at low dose 15g to help sleep problems. I reluctantly agreed to try them, and bingo, it worked! Can’t believe I’m now getting good quality sleep for about seven hours. I DO wake a few times for the loo, but go back to sleep immediately. I’ve now cut the dose to 7.5 mg and it still works. Yippee!!

Alwaysaworrier Wed 29-Mar-23 12:31:11

I”ve bought a weighted blanket and i find that this really helps.
I have also bought Melatonin abroad, as it is available over the counter, but only on prescription in the UK. That helps too.

choughdancer Wed 29-Mar-23 12:35:51

Keffie12

I put on an hour long sleep meditation each night on my phone, off YouTube usually. I cover the phone, with a tissue or something lightweight and leave it on the side. I do that to minimise the light coming from it.

If I wake in the night which I do, I put it back on. It helps me to distract lieing there. Its a hell of alot better than counting sheep 🐑

I have had many of the sleep problems that others have described, until I discovered the ONE thing that worked! Like Keffie12 I use a meditation on my phone beside the bed. But I find the very best are by Jennifer Piercey; her Yoga Nidra one is my go-to favourite, easily found online. She also has several sleep meditations on the app, Insight Timer, which is free.
It has changed my sleep completely! The only thing that wakes me up now is my bladder hmm... and then I can play the meditation again and get straight back to sleep, rather than lying there awake.

I recommended it to a friend a while ago, and she kept saying that she would try it but didn't. Eventually she did, had the best night's sleep, and now is recommending it to everyone!

Very good luck OP!

Bluedaisy Wed 29-Mar-23 12:46:26

ESMAY Have you tried melatonin for your Dad for his night terrors? My husbands got Vascular Dementia and had the same, night after night keeping me awake until I went to the Doctors to ask for sleeping pills for me. Once I explained it was DH having these night terrors he was put on melatonin and now it’s much better.

Scarlettsnan Wed 29-Mar-23 12:55:55

Unfortunately, nothing works for me I was diagnosed with idiopathic insomnia when I went to a sleep clinic several years ago and I’ve had it all my life to varying degrees.
Over the years it has lost me relationships and has been truly debilitating…
Now
I’m retired, I don’t worry about it so much and I have the occasional zopiclone if I’m really struggling.
I don’t drink smoke, and I’m not overweight and take regular exercise. Unfortunately it’s something that I’ve had all my life and I’ve just had to learnt to live with it.

PamQS Wed 29-Mar-23 13:03:22

The new moon shines on my face in the middle of the night, this seems linked with waking up in the first couple ofç

Tanjamaltija Wed 29-Mar-23 13:04:22

Nothing works... so I get up, run a load of laundry, cook, play games, read, write, do beading... then I rest for 30 minutes before getting on with my day. I try and get a siesta in, though - but this doesn't always happen. So... 4 hours' sleep at night, and maybe 1 hour's siesta...

When eyes are closed and sleep descends so sweet,

The demons of the night, they like it not.

They bid my Guardian Angels to retreat

And hinder their fine works with all they’ve got!

I try; I strive to be the best I can;

Yet strife and doubt beset me all day long.

Each wee success is but the flash-in-pan

Each tune a mournful dirge and not a song!

Each time I laugh, there’s bitter tears in store

For each success, a failure’s sure to come.

I will get less, for I dared ask for more…

I’m bound to fail, when all is said and done.

Welcome insomnia, wakefulness at night;

I cede my sleep – though not without a fight!

swampy1961 Wed 29-Mar-23 13:04:23

Magnesium is meant to help by activating the mechanisms that quiet and calm you. That said it's meant to be good for quite a few things so maybe try it for a few weeks

Romola Wed 29-Mar-23 13:24:58

First of all, sympathy and respect to Esmay, and an urgent suggestion that she gets respite help You know how it is, if Social Services reckon you're coping, they leave you to get on with it MAKE A FUSS
On the subject of insomnia, I found Michael Mosley's recent BBC series helpful, especially the one about regulating your breathing . Suddenly it's 6 45 which was the time my alarm clock used ro go off before I retired at 62, 15 years ago. Perfect!

Mallin Wed 29-Mar-23 13:44:00

A doctor told me I was “true, no nonsense insomniac” and that I should be thankful that it didn’t worry me!