Gransnet forums

Chat

So much choice in cosmetic products now

(68 Posts)
Glorianny Mon 27-Mar-23 12:10:44

I don't use that much make up and since Covid I've tended to buy what I need in my local (quite small) Boots. Last week I ventured for the first time for ages into a large Superdrug looking for foundation. I came out with nothing. I wandered around for a bit, dazzled by the array of skincare products and cosmetics. It was all too much for me. How do young women cope? Or are all you older women in there as well? Am I just getting too old. It was so much simpler when there was just Rimmel and Max Factor (which you couldn't afford anyway)..

M0nica Mon 27-Mar-23 12:51:18

My reaction to cosmetics has always been the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid) - in fact that is my approach for most things.

I concentrate on skincare, and keep it simple, and for cosmetics limit myself to foundation, blusher and eye make up - end of.

You could let me loose in the biggest cosmetic department in the world and I would just walk through it with a shrug.

My DD and DGD are both happy with how I look and would be the first to warn me if they thought my make-up or clothes were dated. DGD informs me I have lovely skin.

I buy csmetics mainly online because of skin allergies.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 27-Mar-23 13:29:41

I wear eye makeup every day but dislike foundation. Although I wear it every day most stuff lasts ages and when it’s running out I just buy the same again as over the years I’ve found out what suits me - adapted as I’ve got older and have grey hair - and works and what doesn’t. I’d be totally overwhelmed by the choice available if I was browsing. I think a lot of young women today spend money experimenting and throwing things away. Just as well there wasn’t a lot of choice in our price bracket when we were young - I remember Miners, Outdoor Girl and Rimmel fondly and lusted after Mary Quant!

Glorianny Mon 27-Mar-23 16:30:56

Well I'm not going in there again! I just wondered if I was the only one stuck in my ways with stuff I have used for ages. The huge range of products shocked me. It used to be a couple of sorts of cleanser, toner and moisturiser. Now there are so many different things to use. Some of it with pseudo scientific claims, serums, vitamin c liquids etc. I came out in a complete daze.

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Mar-23 16:39:49

I just wondered if I was the only one stuck in my ways with stuff I have used for ages.

No, you're not, Glorianny.

I think I've found what suits me and generally stick with the same brands so haven't looked at others, although I did choose some less expensive Boots own brand lipstick recently. It's ok.

Years ago I used Max Factor and Rimmel - and Anne French cleansing milk which was good. Then Almay as I got a few skin problems.

Perhaps some brands are considered too expensive for young people; I use Clarins and Clinique but very sparingly anyway.

Anyone remember Panstik? Perhaps some modern brands are more like that!

If someone could recommend something to make eyelashes grow I'd be grateful - why are they disappearing?

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Mar-23 16:41:49

Glorianny

Well I'm not going in there again! I just wondered if I was the only one stuck in my ways with stuff I have used for ages. The huge range of products shocked me. It used to be a couple of sorts of cleanser, toner and moisturiser. Now there are so many different things to use. Some of it with pseudo scientific claims, serums, vitamin c liquids etc. I came out in a complete daze.

I came out in a complete daze.
I bought a new Boots wonder serum a few years ago, supposed to be a miracle cream

I came out in lumps.

Glorianny Mon 27-Mar-23 16:47:11

Callistemon21 grin
Hope you recovered quickly

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Mar-23 16:48:31

Yes, but it was an expensive mistake!!

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 27-Mar-23 16:50:40

Nivea always gave me spots.

GagaJo Mon 27-Mar-23 16:52:27

Glorianny

That's exactly how I feel. I'm quite open to trying new things but am confused by the millions of choices.

I've just stocked up on the stuff I like because I'm sure it'll be discontinued at some point.

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Mar-23 16:59:25

Germanshepherdsmum

Nivea always gave me spots.

Is it Joanna Lumley who said she has always used it? hmm
I found it too thick.

My Mum used Pond's vanishing cream and Yardleys cream. I used to 'borrow' some.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 27-Mar-23 17:14:39

I think she said she has always used Astral - plus a lot of far more expensive stuff that she doesn’t mention I bet!

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Mar-23 17:48:40

😁

Did she say where she uses the Astral?

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 27-Mar-23 17:51:18

I don’t think she did … 🤣

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Mar-23 17:59:53

Her cheeks !

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Mar-23 18:00:26

Sorry for lowering the tone.
blush

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 27-Mar-23 18:07:19

Which cheeks? 😁

Georgesgran Mon 27-Mar-23 18:30:55

I use make up every day, and I’m probably stuck in a rut too. However, I’ve started to employ the Jamie Oliver method for my morning routine! Miscellar water and eye makeup remover are put onto cotton wool pads, toothpaste on my brush and I take the tops off my serum and tinted moisturizer before I start. Then a slick of eye liner pencil, mascara and coloured lip balm and I’m done. I’ve got it down to a fine art and I’m sure it takes a few minutes off.

eazybee Mon 27-Mar-23 18:45:48

There may be a plethora of beauty products to buy, but seeing and testing them is impossible since the department stores have gone. I refuse to buy expensive make-up without seeing it first, so have to wait until I visit a city such as Southampton, Winchester or Chichester if I need eyeshadow or foundation, when the colour and texture is important.

SueDonim Mon 27-Mar-23 18:53:17

Same here, Eazybee. The three stores that sold the brands I like have all closed and it’s either online or traipse to another city. Annoying.

CanadianGran Mon 27-Mar-23 18:56:09

There are so many because it is a very lucrative business! Have you been into a Sephora? So many brands, it can indeed be overwhelming. They tend not to carry the 'drugstore' brands, but opt for more expensive items. Nothing wrong with the drug store brands, I say!

Most cosmetics departments have beauty advisors, so next time you are in, just have a chat with one of the sales advisors, and they should be able to assist. Makeup and skincare does not need to be terribly expensive, and it can feel like a treat.

Instead of traditional foundation, which I always found too heavy, I use a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen. They can be found at all price points. the brand I use is Canadian, so most likely not available to you, Boots should have No.7, which has a version, at a reasonable cost.

Casdon Mon 27-Mar-23 18:58:41

I always use Estée Lauder, they have an excellent range for my skin, I have for many years. I wait until there’s an offer with free samples if you spend over a certain amount, buy the things I know I like and will use, and I also then I get to try the samples of new products for free. It’s not cheap, but because I use it all up, I don’t feel wasteful.

dahlia Mon 27-Mar-23 19:12:07

In "The Times" beauty page a few weeks ago, the writer (who often recommends cheap and cheerful brands, not just expensive potions) recommended Rapidlash Eyelash Enhancing Serum, sold in Boots.com for £40.00 A bit dear, and I haven't tried it myself, but it might be worth a try, Callistemon21.

Wyllow3 Mon 27-Mar-23 19:25:39

I don't wear make up, I never had since being a teenager, but do like to do the best I can for skin without too much bother. I learnt how to look after skin by having a few facials and working the process out - cleanse (including sometimes microdermabrasion), tone, serum, moisturise, SP factor, special eye cream.

but have moved on skin care wise a bit: added a serum under moisturiser is a ++

but doesn't need to be expensive - on Amazon for example The INKEY List 2% Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Serum to Plump and Smooth Skin for All Skin Types is £6.29.
Also finding the right product for around your eyes.

Eyelashes - you can have them dyed for special occasions, its not expensive

Nivea was mentioned above. They used to use so much perfume it was a complete no no but recently I was given some night cream and it was OK, they have changed the formula.

My favourite find over the last 3 years that I've stuck to is M n S Formula extra rich anti ageing night cream. I use it in the day too and put the SPF product on top.

MayBee70 Mon 27-Mar-23 19:47:17

I hardly wore make up through the pandemic but when I recently put on the make up that I used to use I looked awful. I realised that it’s because the skin on my eyelids has drooped and my eyelashes are almost non existent. And my grey eyebrows seem to have moved to another part of my face so when I put eyebrow powder on I look a bit Picasso like with them now floating around from where they used to be. And although I wear high factor face protection my skin is covered in wrinkles. It’s all a bit depressing as, although it’s obviously happened over three years I feel as though it has happened all of a sudden.