Gransnet forums

Chat

What title would your novel have?

(56 Posts)
LRavenscroft Wed 17-May-23 17:29:21

Recently I thought of the phrase 'Sometimes you have to say goodbye before you say Hello' and one Gransnetter thought it was a good title for a novel. What would the title of your novel be if you wrote one?

grandMattie Wed 24-May-23 11:41:05

If life gives you lemons….

LovelyLady Wed 24-May-23 11:52:26

MissChateline. I enjoyed reading your input re waiting for whales. It took me to my own childhood. Our primary teacher was from Barra and she filled our wee heads with the stories of her magnificent island childhood where freedom was accepted. We were in the heart of Scotland and her uplifting stories were magical. We all enthusiastically spoke, even now, with a beautiful island lilt in our wee voices. (Think of Miss Jean Brody) All these years later - Most of us still speak with that emphasis.
My voice has got me more jobs and compliments as well as admirers, and I thank my teacher for this.
Just now our children are speaking with tv type of odd accents. I can assure them get a soft Barra accent and the world will love you.
Some will disagree but it worked for me.

Sawsage2 Wed 24-May-23 12:25:48

I'd rather have a 'bottle in front of me' than a 'frontal lobotomy' !

Keffie12 Wed 24-May-23 12:32:42

"Papa Maverick Chick" and "I guess we signed the Contract"

These are two books I have written. They are not in the public arena nor ever will be, because the story is too outing. We live in too smaller world today

I've got one hell of a life story. Think Kathleen Cookson/Victoria Holte style. I needed to get it all in book format after years of therapy.

The first one was from my birth incorporating 100 year family history before that up until 2011, the year after my mom passed.

The 2nd I started writing the year after my late husband passed in 2018. That book incorporates from 2012 to present day.

It's been a really good cathartic process

Nannyjaxx Wed 24-May-23 12:35:42

As an ex publican mine would have to be ;
My life behind bars.

Coconut Wed 24-May-23 13:02:09

My life story would be called “Kiss Off” ….. as “P off” would probably not be printed ! I’ve never been lucky enough to meet my knight in shining armour, just a lot of idiots in tin foil ! Could fill a book with unsuitable males 🤣 I’ve had the misfortune to come across.

LRavenscroft Wed 24-May-23 13:16:37

On reading some of these titles I would definitely be choosing them from a Good Reads list. They are brilliant.

Jess20 Wed 24-May-23 14:15:20

Not so much swimming as going through the motions - diary of a free-swimmer

CatsCatsCats Wed 24-May-23 14:20:27

I love the title "People of the Mist" but that's already been done.

So it would have to be "The Disappointed Woman". Such a miserable title, no-one would read it, and not have to subject themselves to my terrible writing skills.

Gundy Wed 24-May-23 14:30:17

Everyone has a story within them.

I am convinced. I know I do - so many varied life experiences - and I survived!

Never knew what to call it though, but after reading this great thread I am inclined to riff off from M0nica’s last sentence and call it A Novel With No Name.
Perfect!
USA Gundy

Oreo Wed 24-May-23 15:15:00

Mine would be either
Is this it?
Or
Area prone to fog ( which road sign we passed recently.)

Kathmaggie Wed 24-May-23 15:41:21

I want to be a Great Grandma but not the mother of a granddad

Froglady Wed 24-May-23 15:46:41

Useless, Idle, Good-For-Nothing Child.

Bella23 Wed 24-May-23 15:48:36

Mine would be 'Lonning Lass", a tale from the other side of the fells.

Lizzie44 Wed 24-May-23 15:52:40

More Laughter than Tears

Alie2Oxon Wed 24-May-23 16:08:11

I've written mine - but I'm not telling. Somebody might nick it!

Musicgirl Wed 24-May-23 17:17:04

I've been halfway through (and stuck) with writing a children's book for a very long time but now I am semi-retiring perhaps I will finish it. For this reason I will not say the title. However, any book l do write will have music as its theme and l am also a violinist so Another String to my Bow might be rather appropriate.

Musicgirl Wed 24-May-23 17:20:56

I like A Life Behind Bars, Nannyjax.
It has been said, I can't remember by whom, that everyone has a book in them and that is where it should stay. It doesn't stop a lot of us dreaming about it, though.

Paperbackwriter Wed 24-May-23 18:22:41

The OP's title would be far too long for any publisher to accept, though I do rather like it myself. I speak as one who has written 20 novels!

Patsy70 Wed 24-May-23 19:09:35

‘Could have done better!’

FannyCornforth Wed 24-May-23 19:11:37

Patsy70

‘Could have done better!’

Tell me about it! thanks

Caleo Wed 24-May-23 19:22:02

I wrote short story for an American magazine competition when I was fifteen. The magazine sent me a refusal letter saying "We can't all be champs."

Allsorts Wed 24-May-23 19:25:47

No One Came

Patsy70 Wed 24-May-23 19:37:05

Fanny. If only I had! 🤷🏻‍♀️

AGAA4 Wed 24-May-23 20:01:57

No place for old women.