Gransnet forums

Chat

RSVPs for funerals

(55 Posts)
Aveline Sat 20-May-23 12:51:13

Just wondering about this. A friend is stressing as people have not let her know whether or not they plan to attend her husband's funeral. I know she is going through a ghastly time and seems to be fixating on this a little. Obviously, there are catering requirements to consider. I've never been aware of having to let people know you're going to attend. Maybe that's just me though. Is this a new thing?

Smileless2012 Sat 20-May-23 13:02:38

I've not come across this before but it must be difficult to know how many to cater for if you've no idea whose coming.

Baggs Sat 20-May-23 13:19:44

I think it's a new thing. If your friend assumes most of the people she's told about the funeral and the wake will come, she won't go far wrong.

Aveline Sat 20-May-23 13:33:13

Caterers must be accustomed to potentially too many or too few turning up. I suspect this one will be quite well attended but it's in the middle of the day in the middle of the working week so maybe younger people won't be able to make it or only to the actual service rather than the reception after it. Will have to wait and see.

Judy54 Sat 20-May-23 13:39:03

No people should not be required to RSVP but as a matter of courtesy they should say whether they are able to attend or not.

Fairislecable Sat 20-May-23 13:40:47

As a friend you could ask for a contact list and text or contact all those invited and ask.

“Hi in order to assist _ in arrangements it would be helpful if you could let me know if you are able to attend on Thursday.

Something along those lines to help your friend.

Norah Sat 20-May-23 13:42:38

Fairislecable

As a friend you could ask for a contact list and text or contact all those invited and ask.

“Hi in order to assist _ in arrangements it would be helpful if you could let me know if you are able to attend on Thursday.

Something along those lines to help your friend.

Lovely idea.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 20-May-23 13:44:55

I was certainly very grateful to those who told me they would be attending my parents' funerals. It made it so much easier to know how many people to cater for.

Fairislecable's idea is a good one - I doubt anyone could be offended if you contacted them, saying you are helping out with the catering.

Aveline Sat 20-May-23 13:55:07

Don't worry. Am on the case. I was just wondering if RSVPs for funerals is a new thing.

SachaMac Sat 20-May-23 13:56:07

I agree it is very difficult to estimate the numbers for catering at funerals, it’s the same with trying to work out how many orders of service, to have printed. It is mainly guesswork, some people will go to the service but not back for food afterwards. It is helpful when people informally let you know if they plan to attend. I’d always over estimate a little to be in the safe side.

kittylester Sat 20-May-23 13:57:41

We were asked to rsvp for a nephew's funeral which I thought strange. I said yes and to remind them that I am gf. I was, initially, told to bring sandwiches. I should stress that this was his odd brother not the deceased parents.

Nannarose Sat 20-May-23 14:06:21

I think it might be (a new thing). I grew up -as did most of us I think - with a 'come all ye' attitude to both funerals and the 'funeral tea'. But in my community, it would generally be known who was likely to be there.
However, I have noticed recently, a few 'invitations' to funerals - I think this gathered pace after Covid (when we did have to be 'invited' to funerals) but it was happening before. The people I know who have done it are quiet, reserved people, who don't want to have to deal with the work colleagues not seen since retirement, and the representatives of organisations the deceased was involved in years ago (personally I love a good turn out and lots of reminiscences, but not all do).
And I think if you see it as a 'family event', then rather like a christening tea, or wedding breakfast, you view it as an invitation to be responded to.
And kind of you to help out your friend, I hope it goes smoothly.

Iam64 Sat 20-May-23 14:23:08

I didn’t expect anyone to tell me whether they’d come to the funeral, or the reception afterwards. It would have helped though to have a rough idea. I counted as best I could, added 15 to be sure there was enough food. There was.

Aveline Sat 20-May-23 16:18:47

Good point re Covid. Maybe that's had an effect as only a certain number could attend.
We've now met up and discussed it all. I think it's going to be fine and that my friend will be very pleased at her DH having a good send off.

Jaxjacky Sat 20-May-23 16:35:47

I’ve never responded, only once to apologise for not being able to go.

GrannyRose15 Sat 20-May-23 16:49:09

No one should be invited to a funeral. A notice is published giving the date venue and time and then everyone who wishes to pay their respects can attend. That’s why a wake is usually a buffet so it can stretch if need be.

BlueBelle Sat 20-May-23 16:54:43

I’ve never heard of invitations to a funeral usually it’s a matter of turning up if you know the person well if not you only go to the service
You can tell I m not a funeral goer the last one I went to was about 6 years ago and another 6 before that

Doodledog Sat 20-May-23 17:33:39

I'm lucky not to have been to many. The ones I have been to have been family, where everyone knew I would be going, or people like neighbours, when I have gone to the service to show respect, then declined the invitation to the buffet afterwards. I think that bit is really for family, and maybe people who have travelled a long way to get there.

Nannynoodles Sat 20-May-23 17:44:07

At my late husbands funeral I was told “a few” of his work colleagues would come. It turned out to be literally a complete coach load!
Thank goodness the weather was warm so we could overspill into the garden and I had a superb catering company who were used to catering for large parties so went back and returned with enough crockery, glasses and food from their freezers!
Goodness knows what I would have done if I’d decided to do the catering myself!!
He would have appreciated the fact that so many came to remember him but how much nicer if they had visited him when he was poorly and a chat would have brightened his day,
sadly only a handful did.

Callistemon21 Sat 20-May-23 17:49:39

Aveline

Don't worry. Am on the case. I was just wondering if RSVPs for funerals is a new thing.

I didn't even know there were invitations to funerals so no, we've never sent an RSVP.

We've just gone - to far too many lately. ☹
We may not have always gone to the wake though.

Callistemon21 Sat 20-May-23 17:50:48

He would have appreciated the fact that so many came to remember him but how much nicer if they had visited him when he was poorly and a chat would have brightened his day

Yes, this is so true.

Theexwife Sat 20-May-23 17:55:06

It is probably just something to get angry about and obsess over, typical when grieving, it is usual to feel anger over losing a loved one but to focus that anger on something else.

Callistemon21 Sat 20-May-23 18:09:49

Theexwife

It is probably just something to get angry about and obsess over, typical when grieving, it is usual to feel anger over losing a loved one but to focus that anger on something else.

Good observation, Theexwife

Aveline Sat 20-May-23 18:25:13

We did have a good chat and went over all the plans and possibilities. I really think it's going to be OK.
Quite often I only go to the actual funeral and don't go on to the tea/reception later. Definitely going to this one though!

Grandyma Sat 20-May-23 18:35:23

I Recently helped plan a funeral for a close family member. We compiled a list of all the people we thought likely to come. In our case 60. We catered for 50 and it was about right - there was food left over but we preferred that to there not being enough. We applied the same principle to the orders of service. This was an elderly lady who had been ill for a long time. Quite a lot of people did let us know in advance whether they would be coming. We wouldn’t have felt comfortable asking for RSVPs.