Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's warm and welcoming kitchen for friendship...

(1001 Posts)
soop Thu 05-Oct-23 16:59:12

Here we are again...
And a very warm welcome to the newest kitchen.
wine cupcake flowers smile

Jaxjacky Fri 06-Oct-23 18:35:26

Evening everyone, you should be home now Yia thank you for the great pictures. Yours too Grannmarie I was seconded from work to La Gaude, north of Nice many years ago, fond memories.
Your daughter is admirable Baggs Minibaggs is athletic.
A busyish day, a walk, grocery delivery and the window cleaner came. We’re just in from the pub, my son and two friends were there on their way to Winchester, a pleasant surprise.
Hope your friends arrived safely soop.

Grannmarie Fri 06-Oct-23 19:34:33

Good evening, Soop and lovely Kitchen people. I'll make lots of soup for the new kitchen when I get home.

Thank you for all your good wishes for our wee holiday, we're having a lovely sisters' time.

Hello 👋 Baggs, I'm glad to hear that your DD is doing well, you are all in my prayers 🙏. Well done the climbers, that wall looks very scary.

I hope all who had their Covid/ flu jags are recovering well and manage to sleep comfortably. I've been scolded by dear Sis2 ( the bossy little sister 🤣) who claims that my snoring kept her awake last night....

Best wishes to Gillgran and all on their holidays, safe home to YiaYia and all returning soon.

We enjoyed the open top bus tour, fantastic views, then we spent time in Vieux Nice, I do like an old town. We walked along the promenade around 7ish and it was very busy. Lots of people were still on the beach and swimming in the sea as the sun was setting. Now we're enjoying cocktails on the rooftop bar. Tomorrow we plan to go to Monaco.

TOYA, NNGB.

Urmstongran Fri 06-Oct-23 20:13:43

‘Evening All’

I had a bit of a wobble at teatime but I’m calm again and hopefully equilibrium will be restored once I’ve had a good night’s sleep.

Grandmabatty 🤣 I think you’re pretty amazing minding two boys on your own. You do a grand job and I bet those little boys adore you.

Baggs like you, I am humbled by the acceptance and stoicism shown by someone living with incurable cancer. Courageous doesn’t even begin to describe them. I hope your darling girl continues to respond well to her treatment. The Christie hospital is the most awe inspiring place isn’t it? TG for their expertise and kindness.
x

Nannytopsy Fri 06-Oct-23 20:51:42

Hello! Just got home from the school/swimming/gymnastics run and sitting with something warming!
We are running a quiz tomorrow night, and people are still emailing in to book a table. DH has written all the questions and it should be fun and raise some funds.
Sadly a younger lady from the village has died suddenly - a shock for everybody. That will be a funeral in the church I guess.
NNGB

Jaxjacky Fri 06-Oct-23 20:53:51

You’re allowed wobbles Urms good to see you in the kitchen x

brook2704 Fri 06-Oct-23 22:02:51

Good to see you here Urms hope you’re feeling a little bit better now and you sleep well tonight ❤️

RosiesMaw Fri 06-Oct-23 22:03:13

A whole year Baggs- goodness. I'm sure there have been days you would
rather not relive but it is wonderful that her treatment is helping to keep her with her family and with you.
It bears out my LAD theory- Life After Diagnosis.
There will be some here who will know only too well what I mean.

Grannmarie Fri 06-Oct-23 22:11:24

Aww, Urms, sending you a warm hug, and hoping you can manage a good night's sleep.
You and MrUrms, and all your family, are in my thoughts and prayers. 🙏 NNGB.

Blossoming Fri 06-Oct-23 22:18:43

Lovely to hear from you Baggs and Urns, sending you both a virtual hug,

Thank you for sharing your beautiful pics Grannmarie, they are so uplifting.

Hello there RosiesMaw

I’m glad things have settled down Cornergran, you have had a challenging year so far.

Glad you got your jabs sorted Brook and hope you have a good night’s sleep.

Goodnight everyone, TOYA ❤️

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 06-Oct-23 22:35:42

I’m thinking of you Urms, and Mr Urms of course. 💐 Sleep tight.

Baggs Sat 07-Oct-23 10:29:38

A wobbly hug from me too, Urms flowers

Baggs Sat 07-Oct-23 10:32:28

And thank you, everyone, for all the kind thoughts and prayers. I appreciate them all.

annsixty Sat 07-Oct-23 10:58:56

I too can’t believe it has been a year since you got that dreaded news.
Your DD and you and her family have all been so stoic throughout it all.
We know that you and others on GN going through similar have your “moments” but you all soldier on, it is all you can do.

The Christie is indeed a wonderful and inspiring place, I had treatment there myself many years ago now and since then it has gone on from strength to strength with some very vital research and pioneering treatment.

My next door but one neighbour a young man with a young family has had cancer twice now and the latest immunotherapy has cured him yet again.

My sincerest good wishes go to you all.

Naughtyneine Sat 07-Oct-23 11:45:20

Just popping in to say I have been reading but not been up to posting for the last week or so. I'm getting there so will post soon. As always I think of you and pray for those that need it even when I'm not posting.

brook2704 Sat 07-Oct-23 12:14:23

Sending you a virtual hug neine and hoping all is well 💐

Grandmabatty Sat 07-Oct-23 12:23:00

Urms and Baggs, I think of you often. 💐
Today it is an extremely wet day in Polmont and the surrounding area with flooding. I have been to Aldi, the washings are on, the housework mostly done. I have an enormous slow cooker pot of Ragu on and I'm simmering a ham hough to make lentil and ham soup. This afternoon the Christmas spiced red cabbage will braise away. It's that kind of a day. Have a good day wherever you are

Grandmabatty Sat 07-Oct-23 12:25:36

Neine my apologies for missing you out. 💐 Be gentle to yourself. Brook I hope it isn't too wet in Inverness. I'm thinking of Suedonim too and any other Scottish grans. Lucky Grannmarie! The south of France looks very appealing right now

Nannytopsy Sat 07-Oct-23 13:24:15

GrandmaB you are being very industrious! I keep thinking of plenty to do indoors when the weather turns, but it’s still pretty warm and dry here. Tomorrow I must get the grass cut and the bulbs potted!
Baggs, Urms &Neine are brave ladies, allowed occasional wobbles.
I took cocodamol for my knee last night and I am very sleepy. I must wake up, peg out washing and walk the granddog.
I hope the rain and flooding are not too awful for the Scottish grans.

brook2704 Sat 07-Oct-23 14:34:38

It’s very wet here grandmabatty thank you for asking. We’ve had non stop rain for hours now so I’m not doing much except sorting a few clothes out and reading my kindle. Definitely a day for staying home !

Grandmabatty Sat 07-Oct-23 14:38:35

Nannytopsy I spread it out! Sadly, the spicy red cabbage will have to wait until tomorrow because Aldi don't have ground cloves which are an essential ingredient. And there's so much flooding locally, I'm staying put. The car park at my local garden centre has a photo of horrendous flooding. One car there and you can barely see its roof! So soup making this afternoon and stovies for dinner.

SueDonim Sat 07-Oct-23 15:20:30

My first visit to the new kitchen. I’ve brought elderflower and pink lemonade sponge.
These ‘active’ grandchildren keep us on our toes, don’t they? I love the pic of your GS hogging your bed, GMbatty.
Thinking of you, Baggs, as your unwanted anniversary approaches. flowers It’s a year next week since a handgrenade was also thrown into our lives wrt ds1.
Blossoming I can highly recommend this product for shower drains. www.lakeland.co.uk/46490/showershroom-hair-stopper You just lift out the centre bit and remove the hair, very simple.
Sending you lots of hugs, Urms. Xx
Hugs for you, too, Neine. Xx
Such lovely holiday photos from various folk!

As with other grans in Scotland we’re having a very wet day here in Perthshire. It’s been raining for 18hrs and there’s just another 24 hrs to go. Extraordinarily, there are gardeners in shorts working on a play park near our house. Their wellies must be full of water! I’ve not heard reports of local flooding but we’re not going out anyway. The Xmas cake and puds I spoke about the other day are still unmade so I need to crack on with that when I’ve written this.

Summing up the last few days, I’ve got Dh new trousers and shirt for our visit to the US. Why do men always want to buy the same garment as the one that no longer fits/has worn out/looks like a ragbag? Anyway, he’s been updated whether he likes it or not. grin We took GD to dancing earlier in the week and she had her tea with us. Last time for a while as it’s the tattie holidays now.

It was GS’s second birthday yesterday. He bimbled about singing Happy Birthday to himself for much of the day. He’s still too young to understand what it’s about but his sister was as high as kite about it. His best toy was a pop-up musical toaster, he was entranced by it. I’m hoping I might have a future gardening buddy in him. He was looking with me at a gardening catalogue and to my astonishment picked out white Japanese anemones and pink oriental poppies as both being in ‘My garden!’, which is true, they have big groups of both. My neighbour was doing her grass yesterday and he said to her ‘Me do mowing?’ 😂

Now I must get on with the cake and puds - I need to walk the walk, not just talk the talk. grin

Stay warm and dry, everyone. Xx

cornergran Sat 07-Oct-23 15:40:01

Lovely day here. We’ve been along the coast, enjoyed a beach walk and an excellent lunch. Mr C drove there, first time behind the wheel. since his surgery, he’s very proud of himself.

Trying to think about pre-Christmas days out. We usually do a couple by coach . Maybe a Christmas market fairly close to home this year and perhaps an independent night or so in a hotel. I’m assuring Mr C that yes, we do deserve it.

Love and flowers to all dealing with hand grenades as sued has put it. A good term I think for unexpected and overwhelming health challenges. Wobbles are to be expected urms, don’t give yourself a hard time. I don’t always comment on everyone’s struggles but do read and keep you in my thoughts.

I’ve decided the down side of a beautiful day is that washing dries quickly and then needs ironing so off to do that now. I’m garden taming tomorrow. Lets hope the climbing roses aren’t hungry, they have a tendency to eat people grin. TOYA.

Charleygirl5 Sat 07-Oct-23 16:24:23

The sun is shining and it is 23C. I do wonder sometimes which country I live in.

I have no idea where all of this washing comes from but I did recognise the duvet cover and pillowcases so some of it must be coming from here.

Sued I am desperate for a lawn mower, that young man sounds ideal. I promise to look after him and pay him well.

TOYA

Blossoming Sat 07-Oct-23 17:24:25

Good evening all, I’m in bed at the moment, had a bit of a fright. Just want to sleep tbh.

Keep well lovely people ❤️

RosiesMaw Sat 07-Oct-23 17:43:57

Get better soon Blossoming bed is generally the best place to be but please don’t hesitate to seek help if you have any doubts. flowers

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion