Gransnet forums

Chat

Escape!

(46 Posts)
loopyloo Tue 05-Mar-24 08:25:54

Hi, the mood I'm in this morning is feeling I want to walk out the door and escape and do something new!
Plan an outing somewhere... buy some new clothes. Join something different.
Is it the spring?
What do you peeps do when you feel like that?

JamesandJon33 Tue 05-Mar-24 08:32:12

Think about why. Talk to DH and then plan something.

Esmay Tue 05-Mar-24 08:35:34

Hi loopylou !
I certainly know that feeling of wanting to escape .
I'm wondering if I don't have seasonal affective disorder .
This cold weather is getting me down .
I find just going into the garden helps and I enjoy a simple walk on the park . I can always do a painting .
Failing that , the cinema or theatre .
I long for a holiday .
It's probably why I seek the escapism of books and writing .
Sadly , I haven't been well since the beginning of November and everything is on hold .

lixy Tue 05-Mar-24 08:37:11

I go to the bus station, get on the first bus leaving and stay on it to the end of its journey. Found myself in all sorts of places!

I just stay for a coffee and a walk around and come home again usually. Sometimes OH comes too but usually just me with the itchy feet!

Patsy70 Tue 05-Mar-24 08:38:10

Just go and do it! If the weather’s good I lose myself in gardening, as there is so much to do at this time of year. Probably go for a brisk walk to blow away the cobwebs and get some fresh air, watch the birds, sheep - enjoy the countryside. Or, I’d meet my daughter or a friend for coffee and/or lunch. I’m not a shopper, but might look at summer clothes on line and order something for my holiday. Whatever you choose to do, enjoy it! 😊

Cabbie21 Tue 05-Mar-24 08:50:07

I feel a bit like that today. I think it is because the weather is fine and dry. Yesterday was bright and sunny after an early frost, but I had workmen here so could not go out. More workmen again tomorrow too.

I hate gardening, but I’d better do a bit of tidying up out there. So many jobs to do in the house too. If I had someone to go with, I would like to go for a country walk, but I don’t enjoy walking on my own.

keepcalmandcavachon Tue 05-Mar-24 09:00:01

I like your style lixy, sounds good to me. I pick up a few leaflets from the tourist info or library when somewhere new, then off to a coffee shop to peruse them before setting off for a happy hour or twosmile. Usually lucky to find some kind soul to fill me in on a bit of local scandal (historical or otherwise) too!

Georgesgran Tue 05-Mar-24 09:05:45

Why talk to the DH JandJ?
There’s no mention of a second party involved.

M0nica Tue 05-Mar-24 14:20:42

I go for a good long walk.

Casdon Tue 05-Mar-24 14:31:49

It’s the End of Winter blues that does it - this year it’s worse than usual because it’s been so wet that it’s not been pleasant outside for months, bar the odd day. Get out for a walk in the countryside, park your car up near some water and watch the ducks/seagulls while you have a drink (coffee or tea, obviously!), and treat yourself to a little something at the garden centre would be my remedy.

ginny Tue 05-Mar-24 14:42:09

I felt like that a couple of weeks ago.
Got up one morning and said to DH let’s go out but no idea where. I found a map and folded it so everywhere shown was less than two hours from home and plonked a finger down. We ended up in Maldon Essex having a nice walk on the quay and around the park and then on to Battlesbridge.
Nice meal on the way home. Felt so much better.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 05-Mar-24 15:23:23

Since retiring I have never had the desire to escape. When I was working I could happily have walked out and disappeared. It’s called contentment.

grannypiper Tue 05-Mar-24 15:47:54

Lixy What a great idea, you have inspired me. I will be off tomorrow on a magical mystery tour.

keepcalmandcavachon Tue 05-Mar-24 15:54:52

ginny

I felt like that a couple of weeks ago.
Got up one morning and said to DH let’s go out but no idea where. I found a map and folded it so everywhere shown was less than two hours from home and plonked a finger down. We ended up in Maldon Essex having a nice walk on the quay and around the park and then on to Battlesbridge.
Nice meal on the way home. Felt so much better.

Sound's perfect ginny.I hope always to feel the curiosity of exploring somewhere new, knowing there are things out there I've yet to discover that will bring immense joy and continuing to seek it all out.
The map spread out and a "finger plonked down". Perfectsmile

VioletSky Tue 05-Mar-24 15:59:00

Lately I have really needed a break, I haven't figured out what that looks like yet

SeaWoozle Tue 05-Mar-24 16:04:37

I did that the other day. Stress of moving got to me so took myself off into the hills (by car!) and just drove about in the middle of nowhere. Got out every now and again to watch the lambs and relax in the beauty of the hills.

JamesandJon33 Tue 05-Mar-24 16:13:13

Georgesgran we have been together since 1962. We get along extremely well and do a lot together. Every morning we discuss the coming day. Where I am going, where he is etc. Why not involve him. We are married after all.

Kim19 Tue 05-Mar-24 16:56:56

I do a riverside walk. Very lucky to have a beauty nearby which cures all ills and uplifts. Something less calm but equally exciting would be a bus to the big city for lunch somewhere special.

Joseann Tue 05-Mar-24 17:11:12

Ooo, take me with you on your escapes! There's so much to see.
I live in one of the most beautiful areas in the country, but occasionally, I feel the need to escape somewhere different. I'm going to be the proud owner of a bus pass next week, so I love that idea of just travelling off anywhere for the day. Thank you.

Georgesgran Tue 05-Mar-24 17:28:33

Good for you JandJ but the OP made no reference to A N Other in opening the thread.

Oreo Tue 05-Mar-24 17:41:28

Georgesgran

Why talk to the DH JandJ?
There’s no mention of a second party involved.

Why give Jamesand John33 a lecture Georgesgran !
I would the same as her if DP and me had some time to ourselves to do something.
To answer the OP, with work and some childcare we or I don’t get much time but when we do then it’s off out to park somewhere out of town and a good walk with coffee and cake a the end of it.
If on my own I simply enjoy a quiet read, or take Mum round the shops, and that usually ends in coffee and cake too.😁

AreWeThereYet Tue 05-Mar-24 18:03:32

I go to the bus station, get on the first bus leaving and stay on it to the end of its journey. Found myself in all sorts of places!

I used to do that when I was a teenager 😃 There's a shortage of buses around here though, there are only two directions to go. If we wanted to change buses and go somewhere else it would probably take a couple of hours or more to get anywhere then a couple of hours back. I do sometimes take the bus to the end of the line just so I can sit and look around or read my book for a couple of hours - I often have the bus to myself most of the way.

Serendipity22 Tue 05-Mar-24 19:14:47

Germanshepherdsmum

Since retiring I have never had the desire to escape. When I was working I could happily have walked out and disappeared. It’s called contentment.

Yes I agree 100%.... the word is contentment. My mum used to say she was content just sitting in the house and now I am here ( live here ) I am as content as contended can be.

😃

Casdon Tue 05-Mar-24 19:20:04

Serendipity22

Germanshepherdsmum

Yes I agree 100%.... the word is contentment. My mum used to say she was content just sitting in the house and now I am here ( live here ) I am as content as contended can be.

😃

Is it me, I don’t think being contented with your life has anything to do with waking up one morning with a touch of spring fever and a desire to spend your day differently to your routine?

AreWeThereYet Tue 05-Mar-24 19:36:46

Is it me, I don’t think being contented with your life has anything to do with waking up one morning with a touch of spring fever and a desire to spend your day differently to your routine?

I agree. I am very content with my everyday life but still have the occasional urge to zip off somewhere, even if just for the day. The beginning of Spring when the sun starts shining usually gets me. It just be might be that it's been so wet that we've not been out walking as much as we like.