Gransnet forums

Chat

Changing the clocks

(70 Posts)
Nannylovesshopping Sun 24-Mar-24 15:54:16

Been perusing mumsnet today, thread on how out of date are restricted shopping hours on a Sunday. Got me thinking about clocks being changed twice a year, is this now outdated? I wish it was the same all the time, what do you think?

Shelflife Sun 24-Mar-24 15:57:44

Fully agree Nannyloves .

Grandmabatty Sun 24-Mar-24 16:05:38

Doesn't work for us in the north. It would be dark until well after ten in the morning

Bridgeit Sun 24-Mar-24 16:15:00

To make better use of daylight by turning the clock ahead with warmer weather & to save on fuel & costs.

Kandinsky Sun 24-Mar-24 16:21:04

Not bothered about the clocks going backwards/ backwards, but I’d support shops closing completely on a Sunday. Give everyone a rest.
Go back to the good old days.
No one needs to go shopping on a Sunday.

AGAA4 Sun 24-Mar-24 16:34:31

I would prefer the clocks to stay at GMT. It would get dark at 9pm instead of 10 but light earlier in the morning.

62Granny Sun 24-Mar-24 16:38:06

I had to smile when I read your post OP, restricted shopping hours on a Sunday, we all remember no shops being open on Sunday , I wonder how they will cope next Sunday, as no shops are open on Easter Sunday. I also remember half day closing on a thursday, shops closing on Good Friday, and no public houses opening in some parts of Wales on Sunday, "Stop tap" at 11.00 pm. I am not even pension age yet, ( well in a couple of months I will be)😂

Chestnut Sun 24-Mar-24 16:42:50

Grandmabatty

Doesn't work for us in the north. It would be dark until well after ten in the morning

That's assuming we change to BST. If we stayed at GMT then sunrise in Aberdeen would be the same as it is now (8.46am on 21 Dec). Staying on GMT would mean sunrise would be 5.12am instead of what it is now 4.12am on 21 June.

Down in Plymouth their sunrise on 21 June would be 6.05am instead of 5.05am but I think they could live with that.

Oldnproud Sun 24-Mar-24 16:45:15

I am really looking forward to the clocks going forward.

My body seems to adjust naturally as the daylight lengthens and shortens - I am waking up at least an hour earlier now than I was in the middle of winter, so I am ready for the clocks to change, just as I was in October, when I had naturally started waking up about an hour later than I did in the middle of summer.

To be honest, a few more clock changes per year would suit me perfectly, but I'll make do with the two we have, for the sake of those who find it harder to adjust. ☺

The restricted shopping hours on a Sunday don't bother me. There are far fewer restrictions than there used to be, and the Internet is open for shopping 24 hours a day anyway.

Grandmabatty Sun 24-Mar-24 16:48:16

We had it in the 70s and went to school in the dark and home in the dark. Farmers had limited daylight to plant crops and overwhelmingly people complained about it. It would suit some areas but not all.

Chestnut Sun 24-Mar-24 16:48:29

Kandinsky

Not bothered about the clocks going backwards/ backwards, but I’d support shops closing completely on a Sunday. Give everyone a rest.

But what constitutes a 'shop'? Online shopping won't stop on Sunday so people will still order. Can you imagine Amazon closing their online ordering on Sunday? 😂

So who would close, just the physical shops on the street? they are suffering enough and most are closing anyway, but permanently.

The whole concept of shopping has changed so it will never be possible to give staff a rest on Sunday.

Oldnproud Sun 24-Mar-24 17:01:00

Chestnut

Kandinsky

But what constitutes a 'shop'? Online shopping won't stop on Sunday so people will still order. Can you imagine Amazon closing their online ordering on Sunday? 😂

So who would close, just the physical shops on the street? they are suffering enough and most are closing anyway, but permanently.

The whole concept of shopping has changed so it will never be possible to give staff a rest on Sunday.

Also, what would people actually do on a Sunday?

Would entertainment venues like cinemas, theme parks and sports facilities still be allowed to open? National Trust-type places? Pubs and restaurants?
Presumably not, if everyone is to get a rest.

Even though I almost never go anywhere like that on a Sunday, the thought of not even having that option sounds awful to me 😔

RosiesMaw Sun 24-Mar-24 17:42:00

Aye, there’s the rub!
Shopping is now probably the most popular leisure “activity” , even allowing for football or fishing!
We complain about how hard up we are - but enjoy shopping seven days a week, given the chance.
Workers in retail have very little option about the days and shifts they work - this lack of choice may be necessary in the public sector, emergency services, public transport - but shopping?
When I have been in France and Germany and I am assuming they are not unique, couples and families go visiting, or to a gallery or a park, spend time together, walk their dogs, do their gardens, have coffee with friends.
That’s what some people actually do on Sundays, rather that than the Trafford Centre, Merryhell or Bluewater!

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 24-Mar-24 18:11:37

I’m not bothered about the clocks changing twice a year but I would be pleased to see shops closing on Sundays again. We always managed perfectly well before seven-day trading was introduced. The newsagent was open in the morning for the Sunday papers. I have never shopped on a Sunday other than for a newspaper and am still alive to tell the tale. It actually wouldn’t occur to me to go shopping on a Sunday. That’s what we did on Saturday if we worked all week. I also remember when shops - except fishmongers and bakers - were closed on Good Friday. We bought our fresh fish and hot cross buns in the morning and then they closed. There’s so much more to do on Sundays than go shopping!

Romola Sun 24-Mar-24 18:20:48

I can't wait for the clocks to go forward so that we get the extra hour of daylight in the evening.
But... why do we have to wait for a week or so after the vernal equinox on 21st March?
We get the extra hour in the evening for nearly 5 weeks after the autumnal equinox on 21st September.
Logically, imho, the clocks should go forward about the end of February.
It just annoys me.

M0nica Sun 24-Mar-24 18:31:27

Cannot see the point of clocks changing the number of hours of day and night stay exactly the same, and in this 24 hour world, you can shop and party the hours you choose.

Calendargirl Sun 24-Mar-24 19:27:05

Just a suggestion, but go to church perhaps?

smile

Casdon Sun 24-Mar-24 19:31:53

I like the clocks changing because I wake up when it gets light and the birds start singing, regardless of when I go to bed. I don’t have any strong views about Sunday opening for shops, although I’m quite likely to be found in the garden centre on Sundays.

NanKate Sun 24-Mar-24 20:27:15

I hate the dark and welcome the light. Why can’t we have different rules for the south and the north have what they want. They have different time zones in say the USA.

Grantanow Mon 25-Mar-24 09:15:10

It's an old chestnut. I think the main objection to change was on behalf of Scottish farmers. Is time a devolved matter?

Aldom Mon 25-Mar-24 09:33:07

Not everyone could rest on Sundays. Think, emergency services, hospital staff. Then there are pubs, restaurants, garden centres to mention but a few in the leisure industry. It is certainly not just the shops.

MiniMoon Mon 25-Mar-24 09:56:02

I like daylight saving time, I love the long light nights, and the fact that it never gets properly dark in mid summer. Living in the North of England it gets dark in the winter by 4pm and I hate it.

One summer morning in 1905, British builder William Willett was riding his horse through the London suburbs. He passed house after house with closed blinds, and it suddenly came to him that the morning sunlight was going to waste. In 1907 he published the pamphlet "The Waste of Daylight", which caught the attention of Parliament. Sadly Willett died of flu a year before DST became law, and never saw the fruits of his labour.

So to put it simply, we change the clocks to make better use of natural daylight in the morning. During the summer time, we borrow an hour of daylight from the morning and shift it to the evening to reduce our energy consumption.

Nan0 Mon 25-Mar-24 13:49:26

Yes, we do

Norah Mon 25-Mar-24 13:52:35

I love daylight savings time, wish it was all year.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 25-Mar-24 14:13:16

With modern light bulbs and energy saving electric devices it would make good sense to stop messing around with the clocks and go back to GMT all year.

If industries are still saving, due to daylight saving, which I have heard they are n ot, they could adjust working hours rather than expecting as all to get up an hour earlier from the end of March to the end of September.