Gransnet forums

Chat

Return of the Granny trolley!

(79 Posts)
RosiesMaw Tue 02-Apr-24 05:22:02

digitaleditions.telegraph.co.uk/data/1662/reader/reader.html?social#!preferred/0/package/1662/pub/1662/page/13/article/NaN
Did it ever go away?
Yet again, Grans know best smile

grandMattie Tue 02-Apr-24 05:37:38

No, but now with much prettier and more ergonomic styles.
I was given one last birthday and wouldn’t be without it. I no longer have a car and shopping is heavy! I can easily take it on the bus, etc. Certainly it saves my back and arms and I can do more shopping in one go.

Grammaretto Tue 02-Apr-24 05:48:52

I've been using one for about 20 years. It carries not just shopping but my yoga gear.

I'm a potter and used to take pottery to craft markets in central Edinburgh. I could take it on the bus and not having to cart heavy pots from an expensive carpark was a lightbulb moment!

Mine is purple.

HelterSkelter1 Tue 02-Apr-24 05:58:02

I wouldn't be without mine now. I spent a fortune with an osteopath for neck and back problems. So many times she told me to get a shopping trolley...but I thought I am too young! When I think of the the weight of shopping I carried. How stupid.
Four years ago I bought a black and white striped Rolser trolley and love it. It carries so much, so easily. I live a 5 minute walk from the supermarket and walk there every day. It's my morning routine now.
And I see young children with heavy rucksacks on their poor young backs. People trundle suitcases on wheels as they would be mad to try and carry a large suitcase anymore.
I would like an inner zipped pocket on mine but that is my only gripe. It's Spanish and I call it Raffa.

karmalady Tue 02-Apr-24 06:04:21

I have two old rolsers, one is shiny off-white with a cow pattern, they were invaluable when I moved. They are hanging in my garage and I have not used them for three years but am open to using both again in the future

Polly99 Tue 02-Apr-24 06:55:41

They sound like a great idea to prevent back problems. On a practical level now do you manage it in the supermarket. Can it be connected to the shopping trolley or do you leave it at the back of the store until you have gone through the checkout ?

Georgesgran Tue 02-Apr-24 07:02:19

I’ve just read yoga gear as Yogi Bear Grammaretto. I think I’ll get up and find my specs!

Grammaretto Tue 02-Apr-24 07:05:39

That's a good question Polly. I mainly shop in our community store where trollies/ buggies etc can be parked or minded by staff.
In lidl, my other go-to, I drag my shopper along and push their instore trolley. It's not easy and takes up space

HelterSkelter1 Tue 02-Apr-24 07:12:34

In the supermarket I lay my shopping trolley inside the supermarket trolley...wheels uppermost so they dont touch the trolley. And then lift it out at the end when I go through the self checkout and pack the shopping straight into it.
It doesn't hang easily from the supermarket trolley handle and its difficult to push both trolleys at the same time round the shop.
I did have problems at first until I lifted it in. No problem now.

BlueBelle Tue 02-Apr-24 07:23:57

My new trolly, a lovely one covered in flamingos, also doesn’t fit on the supermarket trolly (If only they had a hook on the end of the supermarket trolly) but I wouldn’t put it in the shops trolly, how can it fit with all your shopping ? I just pull mine along with one hand and push the supermarket trolly with the other The first time I used it I was merrily trotting round when I realised I didn’t have it ….big panic and a quick run round the busy Asda and thankfully saw it sitting waiting for me I had stopped to look at something and completely forgotten I d got it with me ( new trollier)😀
I never knew they d gone away and they don’t seem old peoples things now I see younger people using them

HelterSkelter1 Tue 02-Apr-24 07:31:14

I did the same BlueBelle left it in one aisle by mistake.

I rest a supermarket basket on top of my tolley and put the stuff in there. Or beside my trolley.

It works for me as I shop every day so not loads of shopping, but sometimes it is heavy.

Aldom Tue 02-Apr-24 07:35:48

Polly99

They sound like a great idea to prevent back problems. On a practical level now do you manage it in the supermarket. Can it be connected to the shopping trolley or do you leave it at the back of the store until you have gone through the checkout ?

Both Waitrose and Sainsbury's suggested to me that I should place my shopping directly into my Rolster shopping trolley. I took them at their word and have been doing so for over a year now. Never had a problem and it is much easier than pushing a supermarket trolley in addition to my own trolley. smile

Mogsmaw Tue 02-Apr-24 07:47:33

I used to put my trolley in the lockers that Morrison’s had behind the tills for you to put your filled cart in when you visited the cafe.
Just park it there, shop, use an adjacent till, retrieve trolley and I was good to go.
I now use a folding trolley that I can stand at the front of the cart, the wheels are inside and it doesn’t take up much space.

Polly99 Tue 02-Apr-24 07:49:33

Thanks for the replies everyone. I usually drive when I have heavy shopping but would prefer to walk and cut down on mileage if there is a good solution.. I will definitely look into it.

Lollin Tue 02-Apr-24 07:53:36

I place my shopping inside my trolley too. When overseas last month I noticed stores have a park and clip method which operate like an open locker so you loop a wire through and take your key until you return and unlock. No charge and all very neat. I suggested it here but guess it might take some time!

grace56580 Tue 02-Apr-24 08:02:27

Back in the 80's I lived in Gibraltar the border had just opened and we were able to go across to Spain and shop. The choice of fruit & veg was awful before this, at first I carried huge bags back, some friends suggested that I should get a Granny Trolly being in my 20's at the time and thought they were for 'old ladies' within a few weeks everybody had one and so did I !! It was a godsend not only did we eat better but saved money too.

lixy Tue 02-Apr-24 08:10:48

Lollin what a great idea - guess it'll take a while to arrive here though. I used the bike racks to store mine while shopping but it was a faff.
I had a trolley from Lakeland that was great for wheeling books to be marked home from school. It kept going for more than 10 years daily use - school and shopping - and I was so pleased I'd invested in a good model.
Now I don't have one here - though maybe I should...!

Elegran Tue 02-Apr-24 08:55:03

Polly99

I haven't used mine for a while as I get online deliveries now, but managing it round the supermarket depeded on the kind of wire trolleys they had. Some had a hook for a shopping bag, I would hang my trolley from that by the handle. Others had no hook, that was more difficult. I used to lay it horizontally across the top (handle at my end where I could grab it if necessary), and "post" items under the side of it into the wire one. In some supermarkets, I left it near the checkouts, but that always seemed a bit risky.

AskAlice Tue 02-Apr-24 09:21:07

I wish I still had mine! I bought it about 15 years ago, my younger daughter laughed herself silly when she saw it and said it was for old people. UNTIL she needed to borrow it when she moved into a flat by herself and had to do a "big shop"(she doesn't drive). It folds flat when empty and can fit into the bit at the front of a supermarket trolley.

I've not seen it since, and she's still using it regularly!

Doodledog Tue 02-Apr-24 09:29:23

I have one that lives by the front door so that I can load heavy items from supermarket deliveries into it and wheel it to the kitchen. It’s much easier than going back and forth with bottles and jars. Squashable things like bread and yoghurt go in a cool bag that sits inside the trolley between deliveries.

Glorianny Tue 02-Apr-24 09:33:25

I have tried a trolley but I found that pulling it twisted my back and was most uncomfortable. I did try moving it from one hand to the other, but it never felt right. Was I doing something wrong? Or is it to do with the height or something?
I'm shopping online now anyway and only buy little bits at the shops.

AskAlice Tue 02-Apr-24 09:34:03

Doodledog, what a good idea!

HelterSkelter1 Tue 02-Apr-24 09:39:46

They will be like second hand cars soon and hold their resale value!!!

HelterSkelter1 Tue 02-Apr-24 09:41:29

Posted too soon. If you are tempted to buy one, don't buy a cheap one. The wheels take a lot of weight. A good one will last.

Freya5 Tue 02-Apr-24 09:44:05

I have one with flamingos on. So much easier than lugging carrier bags .