Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone else suffer from this? There really should be a support group.

(83 Posts)
Anne58 Sun 26-Feb-12 16:01:03

I feel that it's time to come out of the closet about this, but perhaps it might be more accurate to say "come out of the cupboard".

For years I have suffered from an affliction that whilst it is in no way life threatening, can cause distress, confusion and create more washing up.

I refer to "Philpott Syndrome". I feel that there may be many sufferers among us, but we go (as yet) unrecognised and undiagnosed.

The principal symptom is the complete inability to identify the amount of a substance be it liquid or solid, and recognise the size of the container into which it will fit.

How many times have you considered a quantity of cooked mince and onions, destined to become a shepherds pie, and dithered over the selection of a suitably sized pyrex dish to accomodate it, plus the correct proportion of mash?

Have you, too, poured soup or sauce into a tub, ready to go into the freezer, only to find it either overflows the container, or that you have a left over amount that is of of no practical use?

Or even, perhaps, looked at that last bit of wine in the bottle and wrongly thought that it would fit in your glass, only to find yourself reaching for the kitchen roll?

If you can answer "yes" to any of the above, chances are that you too are a sufferer.

Unfortunately there is currently no help available, but by standing together,shoulder to shoulder (allowing of course for the possible lack of judgement over shoulder distance) we can raise awareness of this condition.

Thank you for reading.

bagitha Sun 26-Feb-12 16:04:14

grin

I've got it bad, phoenix!

So that's two of us. Bring your shoulder over here.

em Sun 26-Feb-12 16:09:06

Phoenix how brave of you. I feel I may have a less extreme version of your syndrome. I find I frequently select a container which is too BIG for the quantity I want to freeze and feel I have to choose a second smaller one. This means of course that I have to wash up more than I should so not only is it inconvenient but a waste of resources. I also find that the quantity of wine left in the bottom of the bottle ISN'T the one unit I estimate - there is always another half-glass which has to be consumed.
I am right behind you!

Anne58 Sun 26-Feb-12 16:14:47

em errors in the estimating of wine only count if wine is spilled , an extra half glass doesn't constitute an error under the rules of Philpott Syndrome.

syberia Sun 26-Feb-12 16:23:23

grin

em Sun 26-Feb-12 16:54:13

How very reassuring - I rarely spill wine so perhaps I am not a fellow-sufferer after all.

Anne58 Sun 26-Feb-12 17:08:02

em consider yourself lucky, I'm a martyr to it. Many's the time that Mr Phoenix finds the contents of the dish cupboard arrayed across the worktop, as I stand bemused, confused and distraught with a pan of some substance at hand.

On the other hand, on the odd occasion that I have mis-judged the contents of the wine bottle, he has found me bent over the glass daintily hmm slurping before attempting to move the afore mentioned receptacle.

Sewsilver Sun 26-Feb-12 17:23:56

I suffer from it too,,, so reassuring to find others. Plus total inability to find my way from one place to another. Glad spilled wine doesn't count. At the risk of being pedantic ( not normally but this flu is having weird side effects) why is it called Philpott syndrome? Ooh quite exciting to think I might have a syndrome instead of just being clumsy. Sometimes I swear the container shrinks whilst I am actually pouring

glammanana Sun 26-Feb-12 17:24:18

I'll stand in the middle shoulder to shoulder next to anyone with over flowing wine glasses then I can catch the overflow from either side hmm

Greatnan Sun 26-Feb-12 17:27:59

I have a cure for the wine problem - buy a box with a tap on. 5 litres for €18.

kittylester Sun 26-Feb-12 17:31:56

My name is kitty and I too have Philpotts Syndrome. I have the extreme version which includes the total inability to judge distance and linear sizes too! For example - judging how much foil is required to double wrap the lasagne dish, etc. There is a fairly rude joke about why women can't judge length but I won't go into that now. grin

Sewsilver - Philpott - fill pot! smile

Anne58 Sun 26-Feb-12 17:36:26

Got it in one, kittylester ! wink

GoldenGran Sun 26-Feb-12 17:52:48

My goodness, I have it too! Many's a time I have had soup trickle over the top of the jug and down onto my feet. I have sometimes had a whole series of pots out on the counter before I get the right one. Nice to know there a few of us out there, I'm not alone.grin

jeni Sun 26-Feb-12 17:59:24

Me too!

em Sun 26-Feb-12 18:07:54

Oh no! Now I'm worried again. It was the comment about the dainty slurping of the wine glass that got me. I always thought when that happened that I'd filled the glass to precisely the right level for drinking - just not for carrying. I'm beginning to think I really may be one of you. Not that I am afraid to admit it and I am not in any way being discriminatory - but am not yet quite ready to stand up and make a full confession. However if I do pluck up courage and admit it to myself, then I know that I have a supportive sisterhood of fellow sufferers.

Anne58 Sun 26-Feb-12 18:25:53

em, whenever you are ready to come out of the cupboard, rest assured that we will be here for you.

We recognise that it can be a hard journey along the road to recovery, (if, ideed that is possible, given the appalling underfunding under the current government, or any previous governments, come to that) but that first step, that initial admission that you do indeed have a problem, is something that only you can take.

kittylester Sun 26-Feb-12 18:34:14

em you'll feel better if you admit it to yourself - we all do.

jeni Sun 26-Feb-12 18:35:29

I gather there is a dedicated and of advisers available, if you feel you are bad enough to need their services.

Anne58 Sun 26-Feb-12 18:43:14

jeni what????

Jacey Sun 26-Feb-12 19:28:20

grin ...I only have a minor attack of this syndrome ...to do with finishing off the bottle!! hmm

nanachrissy Sun 26-Feb-12 19:35:26

I think I may have a related condition, (Philpants syndrome) in that I always think I can get in a size 14, but usually overflow blush into a size 16.

This is not in any way a nappy situation shock

bagitha Sun 26-Feb-12 19:42:37

chrissy grin

phoenix, dedicated band, perhaps?

Anne58 Sun 26-Feb-12 19:45:17

nanachrissy yes, you are right, Philpants syndrome is indeed related to Philpots.

However, I'm not entirely sure that you actuallly meant to refer to (and I quote) a "nappy situation" ???

jeni Sun 26-Feb-12 19:52:31

As in a policemans lot is not a nappy one. Nappy one!

Anne58 Sun 26-Feb-12 20:02:54

grin