Gransnet forums

Chat

Ooh Hello! How nice to see you at my front door! C’mon in ... ?

(147 Posts)
Urmstongran Sun 05-Dec-21 17:43:42

Hi everyone! It’s December, dark and dismal. And sadly, Lonely for some. I had this idea just now. Open our front doors to all our virtual friends on GN! Here, Stand at my front door and this is what you see. You are very welcome. Come on in, take the weight off, kick off your shoes and let me pour you a drink.

What would I see if I came to YOUR front door?

sodapop Sun 05-Dec-21 17:52:36

Someone throwing their tablet at the wall in frustration at
a) having to access GN in a roundabout way
b) having to make umpteen attempts to post.

sodapop Sun 05-Dec-21 17:54:48

Sorry Urmstongran didn't mean to derail your thread.
Here we have two dogs in front of the fire and my husband making pizza in the kitchen.
I'm organising Christmas from the sofa smile

Kate1949 Sun 05-Dec-21 17:55:26

Bare walls as the decorator didn't turn up today angry

Kate1949 Sun 05-Dec-21 17:55:49

I mean yesterday

Jaxjacky Sun 05-Dec-21 17:57:11

Me with a glass of white, MrJ with a beer, the smell of silverside of beef in the slow cooker. We’re poised to watch Dr Who, we’d record it and watch later with visitors here.

Kandinsky Sun 05-Dec-21 18:02:25

Your house looks lovely Urmstongran very welcoming & cosy. ?

Urmstongran Sun 05-Dec-21 18:10:29

Thank you Kandinsky it’s only a small apartment but home as they say, is wherever you lay your hat. The main thing is it’s cosy and welcoming. Now, what can I get you? Howya doing? xx

muse Sun 05-Dec-21 18:14:35

Me with mulled wine and about to watch current series of Dr Who from Ep1. Mya (dog) asleep next to me on sofa, having enjoyed a few scraps of venison. MrMuse and I will enjoy the rest of it in two hours. Log burner is glowing.

Nice to see you Urms.

Blossoming Sun 05-Dec-21 18:15:46

A hallway cluttered with muddy boots, walking sticks and outdoor clothes, leading to a warm kitchen currently full of drying laundry!

Urmstongran Sun 05-Dec-21 18:20:05

You too muse that fire looks snug to be sat beside.
Blossoming no matter the clutter. It’s the welcome, especially these dark evenings, that is important.

Dottygran59 Sun 05-Dec-21 18:21:02

Ooooh Urmstongran - your home looks so lovely and welcoming, beautiful flooring and stylish pendant light shades in the hall. Love your hall table - always wanted one but never had the room. Okay - if you looked through my front door you would see me in my office (we live in bungalow) where I work from home - it's in the bedroom opposite the front door, where I am sitting chatting to the grans on here - complete with fairy lights twinkling on the window. It's the smallest room in the house therefore very toasty and has pictures of all my 6 DGC on the gallery wall behind me. I love it. My hall is very bare I'm afraid - no pics or tables or anything really - very minimalist but it has got quite funky grey and silver wallpaper and nice oak doors with glass in. I can't be doing with dusting you see -hence the lack of ornaments.

Thank you for inviting us into your home, now when I read your threads I will picture you there

Dottygran59 Sun 05-Dec-21 18:23:23

Oh Muse I am jealous of you too - always wanted a wood burning stove. Sigh - there are many things I've always wanted....a conservatory, and console table - wood burner.....I feel quite under priveledged!

Kandinsky Sun 05-Dec-21 18:25:57

Oh I’ll have a nice glass of wine ? please ?
& you’re absolutely right, home is what you make it.
I’m doing fine thank you, been busy wrapping grandchildren’s presents today & getting all the Christmas stuff out of the loft.
We don’t put our tree up until around the 17th though as I get fed up looking at it grin

BBbevan Sun 05-Dec-21 18:27:25

Big pile of cards on the hall table, for posting tomorrow, Me in my DG and just going to watch some Dutch police thing on tv.
Wood burner pumping out heat. Might warm some Gluwein on top.

Urmstongran Sun 05-Dec-21 18:30:08

Oh Dottygran how lovely are YOU?
Thank you for the compliments.
I agree, if we share a little about our surroundings, we do ‘place’ one another better and our posts have an inclusivity.

I like the sound of your bijou space. I’ve always loved ‘small’.
Now what can I get you? Would you like another cushion?

Aw, don’t be shy the rest of you. This is what you see if you’re standing a bit further back. Come to the door ... it’s open.

mokryna Sun 05-Dec-21 18:34:05

As you rang I quickly closed the armoire doors to hid the tv, you can still see it but make yourselves confortable while I switch it off.

Dottygran59 Sun 05-Dec-21 18:34:30

A balcony? Have you got a balcony Urmstongran? Oh now I am well jell. I think I'll wrap up warm and have a nice hot chocolate on the balcony please...then I might pop over to Muse's house for a warm by the stove, and be even more jell

Dottygran59 Sun 05-Dec-21 18:37:23

Well this is a bit like through the keyhole, isn't it? Another home with beautiful flooring, Mokyryna - is it engineered oak? And look at those fab chairs. You are all very posh grans I see

Urmstongran Sun 05-Dec-21 18:38:34

Hey grandMattie can you see my candle bridge? That’s my bedroom by the front door. My favourite ‘safe’ space.

If you all walk through the hallway, that’s the main room. You’ll have to budge up a bit! We downsized here 11y ago to the town centre. Two floors only, up in the lift, above commercial. I do love our small balcony though. We are in the town centre. Urmston train station is across the road. If we open the patio door and step out, it’s buzzing down there and we’ve made it pretty today with Christmas lights.

Grandmadinosaur Sun 05-Dec-21 18:40:14

A lovely idea Urmstongran your home looks very cosy,relaxed and welcoming.

If you came to my front door you would find a hallway with various trainers that needs not just a tidy up but a revamp. It is on our list of jobs to do in the new year. I do have my welcoming Merry Christmas door mat out though ?

At this time of year a Sherry would go down well if you have any. Failing that could I have a milky coffee with something alcoholic in please!

grandMattie Sun 05-Dec-21 18:42:29

Urms, I do indeed and am thrill and delighted at the pleasure and lift it gives you!
Small but just right apartment. I’ll do my hall tomorrow, or perhaps in a minute…

LauraNorderr Sun 05-Dec-21 18:44:03

Thank you for the invitation Urms, what a lovely warm welcoming hallway you have. A small dry white would go down well thanks.
Would like to reciprocate, the walls have yet to be painted but the welcome is warm.
Don’t worry about the little mouse in the skirting board, harmless.

Urmstongran Sun 05-Dec-21 18:44:18

I agree Dottygran ... that your gaff looks posh mokryna! Very nice. Is the kettle on? Or better still, something this time of an evening in a glass perhaps? Just a large one for me ... I can’t stay long.
?

Yes, totally like that ‘through the Keyhole programme ’. And why not? We all like a nosy...

TillyTrotter Sun 05-Dec-21 18:47:03

At my front door you would step on a Christmas doormat to ring the bell, there is a penguin holding a basket of red cyclamen and white heather. A Christmas wreath hangs on the front door.
Once the door is opened the warmth would rush out and envelop you, and my feline friend and I would usher you in and offer you coffee laced with Baileys and a chair by the fire.
Thank you for starting this gentle thread.
I think I would be very comfortable in your apartment Urms.