Good Morning Everyone,
A dark but dry start to the day here in Brackley this morning.
Todays plans , housework , and watch some TV a bit of cycling as well.
Have Lunch.
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick
Gransnet forums
Chat
Good Morning Sunday 4th October 2026
(37 Posts)Good morning from Malta where the forecast is for possible showers otherwise sunny with a high of 28°C.
Enjoyed coffee with my friend yesterday, we walked down to the bakery before I went home and put my feet up after an early start.
The boys arrived in the afternoon and were great company. We had a long FaceTime chat with DD2 and DGD in the US who had just collected their new puppy.
He’s a long haired mini dachshund and looks very sweet. I now have more four legged grandchildren than two legged ones!😂
It was late by the time I’d bathed the boys, fed them and read stories so I went to bed myself.
I can hear DGS1 coughing which I’m sure will wake him up, poor little chap.
I’m going to try and sneak to the living room to watch Alcaraz whose match starts soon.
Wishing you all a good day.☀️
Good morning from Bristol. It’s 8C at the moment, rising as soon as the sun is properly up.
Yesterday was very odd. I’d psyched myself for my jab at 8, so had an early breakfast, walked down to surgery in the other village, arriving bang on time,,only to find it firmly locked. Rats!
Crossed the road to a mini Tesco for the paper. No papers, they hadn’t arrived yet. Bother, so climbed back up the hill home for another hour.
During that time,I prepared the vegetables for the cottage pie I needed to make. This involved finely chopping 6 onions and celery and cubing carrots,
I then packed my trolley with milk, biscuits and£ teatowels to tak3vto my church, then proceeded back down the hill to the surgery.
A very slick organisation; the queue was very short, I don’t think I was there for more than 5 minutes. Picked up my trolley again and slogged back up that blooming hill (it is very steep)and walked all the way, past my flat, to the church, whip is, of course, the other side of the other village!
The church was amazingly today, considering that it had hosted over 200 people for the vicar’s farewell party and dance. I got everything ready, expecting my partner imminently. She never turned up. Lovely lady, but not very dependable.
Only 8 people turned up; I suspect that, as most of them had been at the party, they were too tired/hungover to bother coming. I wasn’t feeling my best and decided to shut up shop early; besides it was barely worth having opened at all. I was tidying up, when one, then another person turned up. I gave them their drink and cake, apologised and went home…
As I had 1kg of mince to cook, I decided to use my preserving pan to make the base of this cottage pie. It is to serve 8. I hope people have big appetites because the portions look huge. 2kg of potatoes to be boiled and mashed, cheese and butter added…. It looks ok, but having followed the recipe given to the letter, I found it all rather bland.
I liberated a teeny bit for my dinner. The rest of the day was spent feeling under the weather.
So today is the big retirement day, with the bishop coming to bless the new altar, wave farewell to the vicar, and celebrate the church’s centennial. (Very young church to someone used to worship in very old churches in Kent, a local one was was in the Domesday book)
Then the lunch. I hope we have helpers to setup and then clear up/wash up afterwards. People seem to disappear once lunch is over!
My jab site is very sore, but I don’t feel to bad at the moment. I decided to have both, on the same arm…
I hope everyone has a blessed, peaceful Sunday. Carpe diem ✝️🦩🦩🦩🦩
Good morning from Sheffield
Bellasnana, that is one very pretty pup
Well we had an eventful cycle ride yesterday. It was on a disused railway line deep in the Peak District. You would never know it was there . Hidden amongst the rolling hills and beside a reservoir, which was shockingly lacking of water. A beautiful route which ended in a village where we had a very good coffee. Then hubby decided to take slightly different route back which looped over the reservoir and joined with the path we had been on. The roughest stoniest steep path I have been on. I walked most of it. I am no mountain biker. I was,shall we say slightly annoyed with him. He was very sheepish and apologetic. I’m aching a bit this morning due to the extra exertion
Today we are looking for some tiles for an outside toilet. We are sprucing it up and the builders coming in two weeks so we need to get organised.
Take care everyone 
Good morning everyone still dark here in the Black country.
Last early start for this season's fishing, DH will not be going on the last 2 contests due to other commitments.
Have not decided on my plans yet will decide once I've woke up properly.
Lovely looking dog Bellas.
grandMattie hope all goes well with the lunch and there are plenty of helpers to clear away.
Have the best day you can everyone whatever your plans will catch up later with everybody's news.😎
Good morning Michael and all GN.s on a very dark still chilly morning in yorkshire. After yet another rubbish night I can only hope that the magic shower will improve matters for me. I am full of aches and pains, hardly any sleep, and no where near the amount of jobs done yesterday I had intended!
I seem to have got into a very bad routine of poor sleeping, lots of pain one way and another and frustration with the little I get sorted. Yesterday was a sunny day, without the promised showers, but I was really struggling , in a lot of pain and nothing I did seemed to improve matters. I could have had a good day doing things in the garden and tidying up generally outside, but I didnt even improve enough to even make any effort in the garden at all. At least I did have the common sense Not to buy some lovely looking cyclamen in the market, with beautiful markings on the leaves, and quite a few with beautiful scent. But I knew there was no chance of me bending down planting them, and it wouldhave only been very frustrating seeing them waiting to be planted.
Fortunately I was able to get round down the town with the yellow peril, despite bumpy paths and roads.Got round the market and bought fresh bread , and they had my favourite loaf in so that was good. They all know by now how things go for me. I park up properly and get off and go in when I am able to, but yesterday looked more a Hyacinth Bouquet version, as I satyed on the buggy and gave a little ring on the bell or waited until I caught their eye, and they came round and I paid and they put the bread etc in the bag at the back of the seat for me, for which help I was extremely grateful . I had managed to put a good few books together for the charity shop, and so another place where someone was just going in and I was able to ask them to tell the assistant that I was outside with books for her. She came and was grateful for the books I had and lugged the bag into the shop to empty it and then returned the bag to me, so another good job done and a bag free for the shopping. Considering how I was feeling, I did quite well with my purchases and had written Bathtowel in large letters to remind me to go to that stall as I have been looking for probably what they call a bath sheet, for a decent towel for swimming. I have plenty of towels but not such a large one, and now my plan is toget back to swimming regularly, but I am even slower moving about so feel the cold more, I decided to treat myself to a bigger thicker towel to hopefully stop me freezing as I get dried at the pace of a tortoise! The usual stall man came up trumps and I have found rather a lovely turquoise colour, which if my memory serves me rightly, have not seen any of the regulars with similar colour, so when it is left by the side of the pool I shant mix it up with anyone elses. I then went to get the Yorkshire Post and they had a half price sale on lots of books and I found a copy of the lovely Mosley recipe book. Having a quick flick through to check that there were recipes that I would actually have a go at , I saw quite a few possibilities and of course this is his recipes for losing weight, so I am hoping it will both inspirational for new ideas and at the same time my halo will show as I keep the calories down.
So I felt mentally quite pleased with my efforts and purchases, but oh my was I in pain. Enough that when I went into Cafe Nero I actually got a tablet out to take with the much needed coffee. It was very busy with quite a queue, so I was content to get myself sorted at a table with the Yorkshire post and let the queue die down a bit, as it was so lovely and sunny outside, everyone was out earlyish and I could see regulars of the time, plus others that I normally see later on. So it was rather a full house, with babies in buggies, several dogs and busy tables. I sat looking at my paper, waiting for the queue to die down, but as fast as someone left more people came in. I was just resigning myself to creaking up to join the queue, when the lovely assistant was clearing another table, looked across and came and said to give her my cup and she would sort it out, which I gratefully did, and told her that I was in no hurry, but to sort it when she had time. I was very very grateful to be able to just sit and recuperate and soon enjoyed my fresh coffee and indulged in my hot apricot croissant. Lovely and with a pain killer, and a sit down I began to feel a bit better, as the cafe started to empty a bit more and the staff managed to win and get empty tables cleaned up and washing up done.
So I got home, pleased with all the various purchases, but still struggling . I got things put away and slowly did a few jobs, but couldnt face even the slightest amount of ironing or cooking, and was happy to listen to a Pucchinni opera and then some world music on the radio, and went to bed hoping for a better night. No chance! absolutely rubbish with my legs stiff and aching and not finding a comfortable place to settle my back into something comfortable So here I am weary and exhausted, waiting for the day to dawn, and to hobble into the shower and see if I can manage to go to the Harvest festival at a local church, which I could manageto go to on the yp. Well I shall have to wait and see, and at least get two or three sets of clothes ironed from the mountain! Plenty of paperwork stuff I need to do, but need to have had a bit more sleep and feel on the ball before I make mistakes in things.
Hope you have a steady day Mick and enjoy some cycling a great picture of the dog Bellasnana. Hope you managed to see some tennis before the grandchildren were up. GrandMattie you had quite a day of it yesterday. Hope things go more smoothly today and that your arm improves. You definitely deserve a rest today, and a medal for all your efforts yesterday. Well I hope all GN's have a peaceful and pleasant day today, and am off to make my coffee and think that today is a day for boiled egg and soldiers for breakfast. Definitely in need of comfort food etc. Enjoy a good autumn day today everyone.
Good morning from s somerset, it will be a sunny day after 9
GM I wish you had more rest time
Yesterday I again revamped two patterns, involving A4 printing and sticking, it is an enjoyable process when done in stages. I did find some much cheaper and lighter A4 paper locally but still ended up carrying a heavy load back home, vegetables, milk etc. I was glad to be home. back to my nest. The paper is actually better, more flexible
Wardrobe changeover is now complete and was not difficult, it looks tidy in there, for now and I can easily see what I have and what is needed for the future. I even did my sleepwear. I did put 2 pairs of thick fleece-lined leisure trousers into a drawer, comfy and baggy, not yet needed but would be excellent if we have a freeze and no power, which could happen.
My mouth felt much better during the morning yesterday and I think the ulcer has healed, so today I am going to the allotment, I have already packed my pannier. The e bike today as I don`t want to dampen my immune system, which uses a lot of energy., hence feeling tired and needing rest. I will be planting onions and shallots and also de-weeding quickly with a hoe and I will be bringing some leeks back with me
I can see me being back home around lunchtime. I did bring a length of fabric downstairs, viyella and I have had it so long, not knowing what to make. I know now and will trace a stylearc dress pattern today. I looked through all my dress patterns but this fabric needs a bit of fullness, not fitted and there was not a suitable prepared pattern in my stash. . Warm when its hot, cool when its not, I remember that from the tv adverts from the old days. Made from a cotton and wool blend
So that is my day sorted, I still need to add chocolate and Bramwell and knitting the rib on my jumper sleeve. Lovely
Good morning from a cool and clear Herefordshire.
Lovely day yesterday spent chatting with DS and his girlfriend. I went to the market and got some fresh veg to make a roast today. I haven't had roasted parsnips for about six months, I associate them with autumn and winter meals. Looking forward to it.
madeleine I love Mosley's recipes. I'm trying to work through them myself.
This morning I shall pop into church before cooking the roast then will sit down to watch Traitors on catch-up.
Peaceful Sunday all.
Good morning, Michael and all GNs from South Yorkshire where a soft sunrise is in progress. It’s chilly!
Yesterday I did an early shop and then got stuck into continuing to clear up spent plants from the garden, weeded the front rockery and gave some of the plants a trim. I’m heartened by the way they have recovered since some were toasted, curled up wrecks in the summer. It should be business as usual in the Spring. The wasps nest in the rockery wall is still, quite literally a hive of activity and I’m hoping it won’t be long before they go wherever wasps go in the winter. My window cleaner is coming on Tuesday and he’s reluctant to clean the front of the conservatory as he’s afraid of being stung, though they don’t seem to bother me as I go to and fro to the shed.
I must do some ironing today and I have a feeling that DD and the menfolk may call over sometime, so I’ll bake a cake just in case they do. If they don’t - more for me!
Have the best day you can folks.
Good morning, dry and cool here in south Glos, hopefully we will have some sunshine today. I was out early yesterday carrying on with tidying up the borders in the front garden but it started to drizzle heavily before I got much done so I’ll carry on where I left off this morning.
I achieved little else but never mind because a lazy day was good!
I did cook a chicken with honey and mustard for today’s dinner with salad and new potatoes, DH will finish up the beef casserole, he’s not keen on salad but it’s what I fancied 😋
I will change the bed in a bit, get the washing hung out then potter around outside. I do love being outside, I get cabin fever if I stay inside.
I do need to get some mulch once I’ve finished the borders, manure or bark? Not sure. I’ve never used bark…
Have a lovely day 🌹
Good morning from a quiet, still, warmish Cornwall with not a breath of wind on my patio. Gorgeous.
Yesterday my hospital appointment was fascinating as I was triaged (their word) by two nurses, one of whom took a lot of photographs of the alien being on my neck. I await a hopefully rapid response when the images are forwarded to the dermatologist.
After that I hopped on the first bus that came along and had a lovely ride to another town via a panoramic cliff road overlooking a bay. Then more buses, shopping, coffee etc etc before coming home to sew some more patchwork trousers.
Today I'll bus to church then ditto to a superstore to buy my granddaughter's birthday present. Much later there's a gentle worship evening at a wharf I could go to involving a bus and a longish walk with a torch. Sounds like I'm talking myself out of it already. Oh, and I've just remembered that Legomasters Australia is on the TV, yippee!
Good morning from a bright looking Torbay.
I hope the after effects of your vaccinations soon wear off, grandMattie. Thank you for your concern. I found that Friday was a dies non for me but I was fully back to normal yesterday, I’m pleased to say, even managing some long overdue ironing!
We are travelling to Portsmouth today and staying overnight before catching the early ferry to Ouistreham tomorrow morning. I shall enjoy the luxury of being driven as DH has his car here so we shall leave mine behind. Autumn will have taken hold by the time we return in late October.
A blessed Sunday to you all. 🦩🥰✝️💐🦩
Good morning everyone from mid Essex. The sun has come up, dispersing the very damp mist. It’s a cool 8 degrees out. Yesterday it was bright in the morning but very grey in the afternoon. I washed the garden table but wasn’t able to put the cover on as it didn’t dry, I’ll cover it today, ready for the winter.
Changed the bedclothes, washed and got them dry in the morning. I put the autumn weight duvet on the bed and slept quite well.
grandmattie I hope the lunch goes well and that you have plenty of help clearing up afterwards.
madeleine a successful morning’s shopping for you yesterday. I hope you are able to get to a Harvest service this morning.
I’ve been invited to DD2’s for an early roast dinner this evening, DD1 and family will be there too. It will be good but no doubt noisy!
Thinking of all who are in pain or worried for any reason and hope life improves today.
Have the best day possible everyone.
Good morning from South Lanarkshire, it’s dry here at the moment and I do hope it stays that way.
We took a long walk along one of our favourite beaches yesterday where I picked up lots of sea glass. Sometimes there only seems to be white pieces but yesterday there was an abundance of pale bluey green and darker green. I’ve yet to find any cobalt which is my goal. Photo of pieces of glass with some veining.
Mass this morning, the first with our new Parish Priest who took up residence on Friday.
I think the rest of the day will be fairly quiet.
Have the best day possible everyone.
Good morning everyone from Inverness where it’s dry with light grey clouds
Safe travels Ash enjoy the time together in France
I’m looking forward to a catch up call with DS first thing, I always enjoy our calls and he’s very good at keeping in touch. We’ve a furniture delivery expected too, they’ve given us a 2 hour time slot and a link to track their whereabouts so that’s good. I don’t think we’ll go out today, hopefully do a bit of gardening if it stays dry
Gorgeous puppy Bellas!
Hope everyone has the best day they can, take care all 💐
Good morning Mick and everyone from a nippy Carlisle, it's 8°C at the moment and looks like it will be a sunny day again as it was yesterday.
Unfortunately, I couldn't take advantage of the lovely weather as I was feeling unwell fighting off a kidney infection. I'm going to have to contact the docs tomorrow especially as my BP has become worryingly, to me, high. That's a first, never been a bother before, quite the opposite. So I had a frustrating and inactive day.
Today I shall also take it easy. Fortunately, my brain seems to be functioning again, brain fog just took over yesterday.
I was OK when I went for my early flu jab and that isn't affecting me apart from a mildly tender arm. I shall go for the covid one later in the month.
I had my usual long phone chat with my sister and am promised a flying visit from DS1 and DiL soon.
I'm planning a special trip into town next week. The moon has dropped from the sky and is now hanging from the ceiling in the Cathedral. Yes, really! It should be an amazing sight.
I'm feeling up to sorting out more drawers and clothes storage, starting to swap out the summer gear for autumn and winter wear. I shall dig out my Arctic clothes in case of power cuts, I can't remember when I last had one of those. Sis and I have our new wind up radios ready and plenty of toilet rolls! Probably not going to be needed of course.
I hope you get enough help for clearing up grandMattie.
And have pleasant Sunday everyone if you can.
Good morning all. It feels chilly.
Yesterday a frustrating day as well as being productive and satisfying.
Firstly walked to the chemist praying my eye drops were in. Yes! Then went to book flu jab but the visiting doctor offered to do it there and then. Another Yes!
Walked back home and ‘lady ear cleaner outer’ was due but half an hour late due to traffic. Did DH’s ears . Another Yes, he can hear me (nagging mostly ).
By then it was too late for me to go to the bank as it closes as 12.30.
I got started in putting back the bedrooms. Bagging up stuff and dismantling clothes rails. Up and down the stairs to put sacks in the garden so DS can just load up the car.
All going well. I said to Dh, shall we order fish and chips from our lovely chippy. I did. An hour and a half later it arrived by Just Eat. We were so hangry. Opened the bag and there was one sausage and large chips. I’d ordered 1 plaice , 1 cod and one small chips. 😡. We were so hungry so we ate it. Phoned the chippy who was apologetic but it was down to just eat to compensate. Of course I cannot get through to them. I’ve sent an e mail. Never again. First and only time!
Next I opened the bag with my eye drops in and only one lot instead of two different ones. My others have already run out due to the doc not signing off the prescription. I ordered them a week ago. 😡. Another trip to pharmacy and docs in the morning along with the Bank!
In the ‘old’ days , I would hop in the car and it would take a jiffy! Now im walking everywhere or waiting for buses. Takes so much longer.
Oh well let’s hope for a less annoying day.
DS due here at 8.15 to load up car and go to the tip. He’ll return this afternoon to help me clear out the conservatory, as new roof begins tomorrow . What would I do without my wonderful children?
Sorry to ramble .
I hope all your days are happy ones with no stress, pain or worries. 🙏.
Good morning all from Polmont where it's currently 11° and cloudy. Bellasnana a lovely wee dog. GrandMattie it sounds like a full on day again for you. Madeleine can't anything be done to help your back pain?
Yesterday I had a lovely catch up with my friend and a tasty breakfast too. In the afternoon, I did some housework and changed the duvet cover for one with autumn colours. At night I watched Strictly- now part of my autumn to winter schedule. Ds messaged to say the people who came to look at his flat seem very keen, but things can change as Grammaretto unfortunately knows.
Today I'm going back to the garden centre for breakfast! This time it is with family. My aunt, uncle, dd and the boys. Dsil is away this weekend and ds is flying to Munich for a conference. Dd is picking me up. When she returns me home, I intend to clean the cupboard under the sink. I've been threatening to do it for ages. The excitement! Dinner might be chicken curry, if I can be bothered making it. Have a good day all
Good morning all from a brightening North Leicestershire.
My choir is singing at a local market today - must try not to visit all the stalls. DS2 might call in this afternoon to tell us about his holiday. And that is it apart from the papers and Strictly results.
I have been reflecting on the change in this thread since the early days on GN. It used to be just people saying good morning, talking about the weather and saying what they were intending to do.
Have the best day possible, everyone.
Good morning from a cold Morecambe Bay. My weather oracle says it’s 5 degrees. That’s cold! I hope it warms up. It was glorious yesterday when I took DS2 to Cumbria. We walked into Ulverston along the canal into the town. Apparently it’s the shortest yet widest canal in England. Not much autumn colour around, just very noticeable red Virginia creepers.
Today I’m taking DS2 home. I’ll do some more cleaning for him. He assures me he has kept on top of his kitchen and lounge since my last efforts. I do hope so. Anyway it’s his bedroom’s turn.
Not a suitable tip for the swimming pool, but one an old gardening friend gave me for drying the awkward bits you can’t reach after a shower such as your feet. Use a hairdryer!
Wishing everyone an enjoyable, peaceful Sunday. Take care🌸
Good morning from N. Bucks .So pleased to see that the mild weather is continuing.
Good day yesterday, we saw most of the family and youngest DGS didn’t want to leave but his Daddy had made plans to meet with some friends.
Today I’m meeting my scrapbooking craft pals. Lots of chat , coffee and cake and probably some crafting too.
Home late afternoon and and easy dinner planned. Scampi, homemade oven chips and peas.
Wishing all a good day with a smile along the way.
Good morning from Shropshire .A dry but slightly cooler start today.
I have had a busy few days with unexpected hospital appointments and yesterday a big celebration of family birthdays with family and friends.Today we are spending with all three grandchildren which we are looking forward to as we don’t see them altogether very often.
I have rearranged the week ahead apart from our usual childcare as I feel life has got a bit hectic.I haven’t had time to think or relax for weeks.I love being at home pottering without any plan so am hoping a quieter time will restore my equilibrium and let me find my peace again.
Thinking of all our mountaineers 🙏🏻💐and wishing everyone the best day possible🦩🌻
Good morning 🙋♀️ looking out of my bedroom window is like a traditional autumnal scene. The weeping ash leaves are beginning to turn golden and there is a light mist and pale sun.
I have absolutely nothing planned for today other than roast pork for dinner around 7ish.
I have been reading my kindle in bed since 6am so as not to wake up DH. It was a joy to read something light, I am struggling with Dan Brown’s latest offering which I am also reading (it’s a proper book, not in kindle so I need good light to read it)
Wishing you all a pleasant Sunday 🙋♀️
Good morning from another sunny Suffolk start to the day where we have no plans which is lovely because a busy week ahead.
I need to get a new mobile phone but I dislike having to get anything new which involves any kind of technology. I have no interest in the latest gadgets,gizmos etc. My iPhone must be 6 years old,possibly more and has served me well for what I need it for. It looks so small compared with the size of others I see.
Although it charges well, the brightness of the screen sometimes just fades so it is very difficult to read. Friends have spoken well of the help and service they’ve had from the large Tesco in a nearby town so a trip there later in the week is planned.
A small problem in an ever worrying world. I hope today is a good one free from pain and worries.
Good morning from a quite misty grey N Surrey. Today I shall carty on with raking and sweeping, but the garden bin is full so I will sweep into big piles and hope we dont get any wind before the bin is emptied.
Many dead plants now dug up. So the garden looks tidier but rather empty. One potted hydrangea which is very shrivelled I need to attend to and put it in a sheltered spot to recuperate. Hopefully..
Fingers crossed the sun comes out to dry the washing load I put on optimistically. A good day to all.
Join the conversation
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »

