Gransnet forums

Christmas

Do you buy yourself a Christmas present?

(97 Posts)
Teetime Mon 30-Oct-17 09:17:28

Simply that - do you buy yourself a Christmas treat - if so what?

goldengirl Mon 30-Oct-17 11:19:53

Yes I do - and get DH to wrap them up!!! It's always a surprise as I usually forget what I've bought grin

loopyloo Mon 30-Oct-17 11:22:01

Ah someone else likes Miss Read. Haven't read any for ages. Must get back to them.

Pagzy Mon 30-Oct-17 11:24:13

RolandeflowersBig hug

angie95 Mon 30-Oct-17 11:34:03

Yes, a book or a DVD, to unwind with, after the hectic buying and wrapping of presents :-)

Jaycee5 Mon 30-Oct-17 11:34:40

I do usually but I have redecorated my living room this and bought myself a new sofa, coffee table and console table so that will have to be it.
I do quite a lot of competitions and I keep anything I win from now on and open them on Christmas Day. I have two which I think are from craft mags and I am waiting for three which should come this month so I usually have a little pile.

SparklyGrandma Mon 30-Oct-17 11:54:33

Someone else said they buy themselves a book or books, I do buy perhaps 2-3 books to read over Christmas and through bleak January. And maybe something to drink or eat at home just for me.

But the ideas on here are lovely, maybe a new handbag?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 30-Oct-17 12:04:43

I've got a few books and as I'm given cash from MIL I'll pretend she's bought them for me, she's too far gone with dementia now so even the cash is given out on her behalf by BIL. It makes me feel less guilty about spending money and I'll put what's left over into the bank for a rainy day.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 30-Oct-17 12:12:58

Sunseeker and Rolande flowers

glammanana Mon 30-Oct-17 12:17:23

I always buy my favourite perfume just in case they forget to check on my supplies wink

Everthankful Mon 30-Oct-17 12:22:04

Yes, it’s the only way I’ve ever get what I really want, my lot are hopeless with hints!

wot Mon 30-Oct-17 12:24:09

Yes, I do and unbirthday presents! Result= cluttered house and happy me ?

maddyone Mon 30-Oct-17 12:36:46

What a good idea, think I'll start that tradition this year!

Lilyflower Mon 30-Oct-17 12:38:20

My OH and I gave up getting each other presents for Christmas when the children were small but expensive and we couldn't afford to buy extras.

His birthday is on the 27th December so he had presents for that while I forewent cash-bought pressies for having the Tesco's Clubcard points to spend instead. I never felt hard done by. Our exchange compensation was to go to the post Christmas sales to buy things we actually needed at knock-down prices.

Since retiring I have almost given up buying things. I never purchase anything that isn't money off or in a sale. I don't miss 'stuff'.

The present I will not have this Christmas and which I will really miss is having my DD home. She has just got engaged and the couple have to take it in turns at the respective parents' houses. They have started with his as the in-laws to be are older.

Marnie Mon 30-Oct-17 12:52:20

I always buy five or six presents each for my OH and myself because if I didn't the only present on Christmas day would be the male and female smellies from the meals on wheels people. Family don't bother any more. Buy for the little ones and get a posed photo beginning of Dec. As my husband says Bah humbug to the holiday.

stevej4491 Mon 30-Oct-17 12:53:21

I buy myself presents all the year round if I see something I want.

Grandma70s Mon 30-Oct-17 13:06:43

No, I don’t. Like others here I buy things I want (not much) at any time. We now only give Christmas presents to children in our family. It reduces a lot of stress and waste. We are lucky enough to have everything we need.
P
Greenfinch and loopyloo - I’m another Miss Read fan. If anyone discovered a new book by her, I’d certainly want that! I have old tapes (yes, tapes) of Gwen Watford reading her books. Very soothing. There are some CDs too.

Hopefully64 Mon 30-Oct-17 13:09:48

My birthday is in December and my mum gives be Christmas and birthday money. It used to go on Christmas when the kids where small. Now I spend on myself in sales .

W11girl Mon 30-Oct-17 13:13:58

No I don't, why would I? Call me old fashioned, but Christmas is about giving, not indulging in myself.

pollyperkins Mon 30-Oct-17 13:47:38

No I don't, but probably would if on my own.
So sorry Rolande - this Christmas wil be hard for you so indulge yourself as much aa you want!
I do get vouchers from some family members so look forward to spending those in the New Year.

luluaugust Mon 30-Oct-17 13:51:18

I do like something new to wear Christmas day.

seacliff Mon 30-Oct-17 14:22:17

I like visiting a couple of Christmas craft markets, they have beautiful unique items. I usually come away with at least one present for me. Not expensive, perhaps a lovely stained glass hanging ornament or a piece of pottery.

This year my cousin and I are going together, and have agreed to each buy ourselves something. Instead of for each other.

Imperfect27 Mon 30-Oct-17 14:22:17

I don't buy myself a Christmas present, but am quite nice to myself generally! I will buy myself flowers, books, candles, clothes, jewellery ... A lot of what I buy comes from charity shops - I tell DH I really am cheap to keep! But I don't do 'guilt' when I buy myself something .. I figure I am 'worth it' smile.

Sararose Mon 30-Oct-17 14:46:33

My husband has severe dementia and is in a Nursing Home so obviously cannot buy me anything. I will try and find something I would like and show it to him just in case he can understand.

Yorkshiregirl Mon 30-Oct-17 14:52:05

Yes Ive already bought it and had it fitted. A lovely fireplace and fire. Other years Ive bought myself a dishwasher, and a faux fur coat.

ElroodFan Mon 30-Oct-17 15:44:46

My husband and I don't exchange gifts at Xmas. Like Dianic we usually get something we need together. We don't feel we're missing out as we luckily have family who treat us.