Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas Adverts

(169 Posts)
GracesGranMK2 Tue 07-Nov-17 23:59:23

I do like the Tesco one but have only seen that and the M & S one so far.

Jalima1108 Sat 25-Nov-17 17:58:24

I think Heathrow Airport can be enough to make anyone feel a bit anxious at any age!

pollyperkins Sat 25-Nov-17 16:16:57

Exactly my point Lillie. Why teddies?

Lillie Sat 25-Nov-17 10:34:52

I was thinking about Heathrow dJen after your comment and how it has been used as a location in adverts and films. Have you seen "Love Actually"? That gives you some idea how the Heathrow setting is used to tug at the emotions, especially at Christmas. I must get the dvd out to watch again next month!

I've just seen the Heathrow ad and I think it's very sentimental but also patronising to elderly people portraying them as confused and anxious old teddies!
I disagree pollyperkins, most of us pre date that advert, (I was flying BOAC as a child in the 1960s to visit family across the world), so the idea of the teddies ageing over the years and their changing personalities is very true to life, just as I feel somewhat overwhelmed by the same trips now in my later years.
Not quite sure why they had to be teddies though, but I guess it's to do with Paddington bear, although thinking about it did he arrive from Peru by plane at Heathrow or did he use a different means of transport to arrive at Paddington?!?

durhamjen Sat 25-Nov-17 09:45:37

Is there enough room with all those private jets, tax-free, of course.

DanniRae Sat 25-Nov-17 08:51:12

I think the Isle of Man airport is the nicest I have ever visited. Just a perfect little miniature airport!

durhamjen Fri 24-Nov-17 19:56:57

It's on the Divine chocolate website, Jalima.
The poor man lost two days of his trip, as well, as the government refused to give him a visa to visit the UK, last year, I think, until Divine got involved.
There's an omen for the future.

Jalima1108 Fri 24-Nov-17 19:29:40

On our last flight we had the Vienna Boys' Choir - unfortunately they did not give us a rendition. Most disappointing!

Jalima1108 Fri 24-Nov-17 19:28:10

It depends which terminal he came into djen.

Accra? Terminal 3, not what I would call beautiful really, but there is always a buzz of excitement at airports I think.

And wonderful to be at Arrivals, waiting for family and people watching at the same time, seeing all the happy reunions.

suzied Fri 24-Nov-17 18:29:35

Heathrow is a great airport, but I prefer Gatwick if possible as it’s nearer to my home. I wouldn’t chose an airport just because of an ad. I do like City Airport though.

Lillie Fri 24-Nov-17 18:13:20

It's beautiful dhj in a busy, buzzing kind of way. It's modern and high tech, but efforts have also been made to ensure the terminals are architecturally pleasing. I expect the sheer size of it is what struck the grower from Ghana. I often feel overwhelmed when I visit even though I am a regular user.

durhamjen Fri 24-Nov-17 17:57:25

It was his first trip abroad.

pollyperkins Fri 24-Nov-17 17:52:28

Not that Ive ever noticed! It depends what you are used to I suppose!

durhamjen Fri 24-Nov-17 17:21:20

Talking about Heathrow, I was reading today about a Fairtrde chocolate company. One of the growers came over from Ghana to Heathrow. He thought Heathrow airport was beautiful.
I've never been to Heathrow, but I can't imagine I would think of it as beautiful. Is it?

pollyperkins Fri 24-Nov-17 08:51:58

I've just seen the Heathrow ad and I think it's very sentimental but also patronising to elderly people portraying them as confused and anxious old teddies!

suzied Thu 23-Nov-17 17:23:07

I wouldn’t think seeing a Christmas ad would make you more likely to chose one airport over another or even fly if you hadn’t already decided to. If you want to fly somewhere at Christmas you have to book up super early.

durhamjen Thu 23-Nov-17 16:29:17

One of the families in the Tesco advert was a Fareshare group. I can't recall anybody commenting on that family, just the ones that don't seem to fit the 'normal' vision of a Christian family.
The homeless are even overlooked in that advert.

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 23-Nov-17 09:50:10

To encourage people to buy tickets to fly to see their family at Christmas. Or any time.

suzied Thu 23-Nov-17 08:20:01

Love the Heathrow airport ad but why does an airport need to have a Christmas ad?

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 22-Nov-17 23:51:13

DanniRael it's the only one that brought a tear to my eyes too. Apparently there's more than one video with the teddy bears, so I'm off to watch them on YouTube! grin

DanniRae Wed 22-Nov-17 09:04:28

OMG - Just watched the Heathrow Airport ad and I loved it! (Thank you for posting it WMKF)
However slightly concerned how an ad with animated teddy bears can bring a tear to my eye?? shock

Grandma2213 Wed 22-Nov-17 01:27:11

Bah Humbug - I hate Christmas (and most other) adverts and never know what they are for. The one I would watch would be a written message saying,

'We're not doing an advert but donating the money we would have spent to the following charities....... List of charities ...' And pleeeease no background music!!

I would actually look at who had posted this advert and may even make an attempt to shop there!

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 21-Nov-17 22:58:27

Lillie I've just come across the Heathrow one and it's definitely my favourite!

Watch it here

Lillie Mon 20-Nov-17 15:07:01

The Heathrow Airport one! So timeless and universal.

durhamjen Thu 16-Nov-17 22:18:06

I hope they were given a refund, as they probably had to do the cooking and washing up until they were rescued.

Blinko Thu 16-Nov-17 21:35:30

Cosy.