Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas Films

(35 Posts)
Billybob4491 Wed 22-Nov-17 06:05:19

Am I the only person on Gransnet who thinks that the Christmas films currently shown on TV (mainly afternoons) are complete and utter rubbish. Sloppy sentimental stories with sickly happy ever after endings! Its an instant turn-off for me. Oh well back to my tried and trusty friend - the radio.

Fishpieplease Fri 24-Nov-17 13:51:20

Another vote for the first one in Nativity series

annsixty Fri 24-Nov-17 09:49:19

The first film in the Nativity series is definitely the best.
The finale, though totally unbelievable, is just wonderful and tearjerking.
The children are so natural.

KatyK Fri 24-Nov-17 09:43:33

Annie Do you know, I could have sworn I saw Father Mc in Fitzgeralds grin On the subject of Christmas films, I have never really enjoyed animations but was surprised how good
The Polar Express was.

annodomini Thu 23-Nov-17 16:21:00

I discovered 'Nativity' just last year and was charmed. But for a good oldie you can't beat 'It's a Wonderful Life'.

TerriBull Thu 23-Nov-17 16:17:32

Hi gilly, yes all in English although most of the cast, being Welsh, have the attractive Welsh lilt Ruth Jones is wonderful in it, as she was in Gavin and Stacey, that was much more of a ensemble cast, and although there are some well known faces that pop us, this is very much her vehicle. It gets funnier as it goes on, although it has it's sad moments. She's calling it a day with series 6. Boohoo sad. We are binging on it at the moment in our house.

Apologies for derailing the thead again. To return to the Christmas theme, I would reiterate Day6's recommendation, The Nativity school play films are very good, particularly when watched with a grandchild who is preparing for theirs, it resonated with my granddaugher when we watched one of them together last year just pre Christmas, she did me her rendition of "we are camels", which gave us plenty of opporunity to ask her "whether playing such an animal gave her the hump", yes awful I know, but it's amazing what corny lines you can get away with when they're 6 grin

gillybob Thu 23-Nov-17 15:55:49

Is Stella in the English language Terri? I love Ruth Jones but can't understand a word of Welsh (although it does sound very nice) . smile

My DGC and I have a "nativity" box set that we watch at Christmas time. The first one is the best in my opinion though.

Anniebach Thu 23-Nov-17 15:45:41

Terri, my younger daughter loves Stella, I will add it to my list, thank you. x

Day6?, no I haven't seen it, would like to , will look for that. It's the American films that make me want to throw something at the tv. Thank you x

Day6 Thu 23-Nov-17 15:39:52

Stella IS good TerriBull.

There is one film that really gets me at Christmas time. Given the sausage roll furore, I perhaps oughtn't mention it. Annie, have you seen 'Nativity'?

It is a beautiful film, quite funny, for children and adults alike, set in a church school about preparing for the annual Nativity play. As they rehearse they sing and so many of the songs are touching. The ending when the play is performed outdoors has me crying every time. The Christmas message is there. It really is festive and about the reason for the season and 'love'.

There are a few of them now, but the first Nativity film is the best and a must for me (and the family) in December.

TerriBull Thu 23-Nov-17 15:13:07

Hi Annie ARE YOU THERE, as you've popped up here I'm taking the liberty of suggesting another box set, if you haven't seen this already. Not Chrissmasy "Stella" written and strarring the wonderful Ruth Jones, set in a fictitious South Wales town called Ponderberry. I love it a mixture of humour and pathos. It was on Sky, which I don't have, but get it through the post from Cinema Paradiso. Nearly finished season 3, she's only witten 6 sad Very Welsh and very good.

Apologies to everyone else for going off topic.

Anniebach Thu 23-Nov-17 14:42:23

Ooooh Katy, was Father Mc in there having a sly one ?

KatyK Thu 23-Nov-17 13:56:06

Oo memories of Ballykissangel. We went there once. It is a village/town called Avoca in Ireland. We had a drink in Fitzgeralds smile

Ilovecheese Thu 23-Nov-17 13:18:17

I rather like the version of A Christmas Carol with Ross Kemp.

Anniebach Thu 23-Nov-17 12:45:41

Hoping I can concentrate then for me it will be

Larkrise to Candleford and. Ballykissangel box sets

Lindylo Thu 23-Nov-17 11:08:57

It's A Wonderful Life is just great and for a bit of a giggle The Grinch.

lemongrove Thu 23-Nov-17 10:54:25

The Muppets Christmas Carol.... enjoyable.
Lampoons Christmas, very funny.

Don’t enjoy tearjerkers though, so usually avoid Christmas themed fims.

Loved the book Stickman ( I was found the other year, sitting on a beanbag in DGS’s room reading this book.) grin
Must look out for it on film.

pensionpat Thu 23-Nov-17 09:01:27

Travels afar. That film is The Bishops Wife. The original starred David Niven. There was a remake but I haven't seen it.

Anniebach Thu 23-Nov-17 08:46:18

Better to be funny in the early morning moocow than be a grump as I was when I posted in the middle of the night.?

But I so dislike Christmas films

travelsafar Thu 23-Nov-17 08:12:01

I love an old black and white film which i cant remember the title of. Its about a vicar's wife who falls for a angel, plus of course It's a Wonderful Life. I also enjoy watching Scrooge for some reason too!! lol

Moocow Thu 23-Nov-17 04:08:53

Remains!

Moocow Thu 23-Nov-17 04:08:15

I know what you mean aniebach however I must disagree! Once the film is over it's replaced til the end of the season or bit after. Once the tooth has gone it too is gone but the gap remeans!

I really shouldn't be trying to be witty at this hour, in my current state should I!

Anniebach Thu 23-Nov-17 03:42:12

Having a tooth extracted would be preferable to Christmas films,

Eloethan Thu 23-Nov-17 02:10:48

I would generally agree - but I can't resist the old black and white film The Shop Around the Corner and Notting Hill.

Day6 Thu 23-Nov-17 00:58:47

There are some BRILLIANT Christmas films, I think, but the dross made for the Hallmark channel or Movies 24 and the Christmas channel is sickly, sentimental, low-budget, poorly acted pap.

The ones they churn out daily really are dreadful slop, mostly made-for-TV films and have a simple story-line and a predictable beginning, middle and end. I love a good Christmas film to get me in the festive mood, but those fail miserably. They are so bad they make me cross.

Jalima1108 Wed 22-Nov-17 21:17:49

I like Stick Man, in fact I recorded it when it was first on and have seen it several times.

Actually, we don't watch many films so many of them (even the old ones) will be new to me and I hadn't realised they were on in the afternoons. Just the thing for a wet and windy day, doing a bit of craft at the same time!

Deedaa Wed 22-Nov-17 21:09:33

Stick Man is great and I always count The Gruffalo's Child as a Christmas film.