Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas Films

(34 Posts)
Billybob4491 Wed 22-Nov-17 06:05:19

Am I the only person on Gransnet who thinks that the Christmas films currently shown on TV (mainly afternoons) are complete and utter rubbish. Sloppy sentimental stories with sickly happy ever after endings! Its an instant turn-off for me. Oh well back to my tried and trusty friend - the radio.

MesMopTop Wed 22-Nov-17 06:45:08

Many of the films are repeats, year after year. I much prefer my music too!

vampirequeen Wed 22-Nov-17 06:46:10

I can't stand them.

ninathenana Wed 22-Nov-17 07:03:03

Why do we have three threads for this ??
Far too early to be showing Christmas films.
All Christmas themed films are sentimental. It's how the makers assume we feel at this time of the year.

Teetime Wed 22-Nov-17 09:23:21

I like some of them - Danny DeVito's Christmas Lights is very funny.

hildajenniJ Wed 22-Nov-17 10:14:28

They are awful! I never watch any of them, but DH would.?? I hate soppy sentimentality with a passion. Give me a good comedy or sci-fi movie any day.

JackyB Wed 22-Nov-17 12:00:13

I love a good cry and will be watching some of these over Christmas. I don't watch TV though - I cuddle up in bed with my laptop and DVD's.

granoffour Wed 22-Nov-17 16:09:10

Ooh - I love a good Christmas film, Love Actually always get watched on Christmas Eve. And the grandkids love Stick Man and Elf (as do I if I'm honest!)

Treebee Wed 22-Nov-17 19:12:45

My favourites are Love Actually and Bernard and the Genie. The latter is quite ancient now and I would love to buy it on DVD, but it’s no longer available.

Deedaa Wed 22-Nov-17 21:09:33

Stick Man is great and I always count The Gruffalo's Child as a Christmas film.

Jalima1108 Wed 22-Nov-17 21:17:49

I like Stick Man, in fact I recorded it when it was first on and have seen it several times.

Actually, we don't watch many films so many of them (even the old ones) will be new to me and I hadn't realised they were on in the afternoons. Just the thing for a wet and windy day, doing a bit of craft at the same time!

Day6 Thu 23-Nov-17 00:58:47

There are some BRILLIANT Christmas films, I think, but the dross made for the Hallmark channel or Movies 24 and the Christmas channel is sickly, sentimental, low-budget, poorly acted pap.

The ones they churn out daily really are dreadful slop, mostly made-for-TV films and have a simple story-line and a predictable beginning, middle and end. I love a good Christmas film to get me in the festive mood, but those fail miserably. They are so bad they make me cross.

Eloethan Thu 23-Nov-17 02:10:48

I would generally agree - but I can't resist the old black and white film The Shop Around the Corner and Notting Hill.

Anniebach Thu 23-Nov-17 03:42:12

Having a tooth extracted would be preferable to Christmas films,

Moocow Thu 23-Nov-17 04:08:15

I know what you mean aniebach however I must disagree! Once the film is over it's replaced til the end of the season or bit after. Once the tooth has gone it too is gone but the gap remeans!

I really shouldn't be trying to be witty at this hour, in my current state should I!

Moocow Thu 23-Nov-17 04:08:53

Remains!

travelsafar Thu 23-Nov-17 08:12:01

I love an old black and white film which i cant remember the title of. Its about a vicar's wife who falls for a angel, plus of course It's a Wonderful Life. I also enjoy watching Scrooge for some reason too!! lol

Anniebach Thu 23-Nov-17 08:46:18

Better to be funny in the early morning moocow than be a grump as I was when I posted in the middle of the night.?

But I so dislike Christmas films

pensionpat Thu 23-Nov-17 09:01:27

Travels afar. That film is The Bishops Wife. The original starred David Niven. There was a remake but I haven't seen it.

lemongrove Thu 23-Nov-17 10:54:25

The Muppets Christmas Carol.... enjoyable.
Lampoons Christmas, very funny.

Don’t enjoy tearjerkers though, so usually avoid Christmas themed fims.

Loved the book Stickman ( I was found the other year, sitting on a beanbag in DGS’s room reading this book.) grin
Must look out for it on film.

Lindylo Thu 23-Nov-17 11:08:57

It's A Wonderful Life is just great and for a bit of a giggle The Grinch.

Anniebach Thu 23-Nov-17 12:45:41

Hoping I can concentrate then for me it will be

Larkrise to Candleford and. Ballykissangel box sets

Ilovecheese Thu 23-Nov-17 13:18:17

I rather like the version of A Christmas Carol with Ross Kemp.

KatyK Thu 23-Nov-17 13:56:06

Oo memories of Ballykissangel. We went there once. It is a village/town called Avoca in Ireland. We had a drink in Fitzgeralds smile

Anniebach Thu 23-Nov-17 14:42:23

Ooooh Katy, was Father Mc in there having a sly one ?