Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas decoration

(84 Posts)
jenpax Sun 10-Dec-17 15:37:54

This year for a convoluted reason I will be alone on Christmas Day.I am wondering if it’s worth putting Christmas decorations up. Do other people put Christmas decorations up when they aren’t having family over?

mpb1952A Wed 13-Dec-17 02:02:33

I have just taken the Christmas tree down as my beloved husband died on Monday after a long battle with illness. I can not pretend to feel Happy and jolly, but I can not cope with all the people who are telling me how sad it is he has died. In the end he had nothing but pain I am relieved he is not suffering anymore. My day will be spent going to a local care home for people with mental illness and learning difficulties to help bring them some happiness. My family can do and think what ever they want this year I do not care! My advice to you is think of yourself and don't give a dam about what others think try and find something to do like me or spend the day doing what ever makes you happy. Remember Christmas as we know it is just a commercial con and you should not feel obliged to join in if you don't feel like it!

BlueBelle Wed 13-Dec-17 04:24:02

Mpb I just would like to say how sorry I am to hear your news and hope you can find some comfort in the work you are planning to do instead of celebrating this Christmas
I hope you find some peace in 2018 ?

Mapleleaf Wed 13-Dec-17 08:48:01

mpb1952A I am so sorry to hear of your loss and echo BlueBelle's sentiments.
Jenpax, you must do as you feel best, but I do think some decorations look cheery, especially a few lights.

Franbern Wed 13-Dec-17 10:01:06

I have never really liked the tinsel and glitter of christmas and, these days, actually resent the light pollution that comes from so many people thinking that they need to decorate the outside of their homes as well as inside.
When the children were small, and the in the years I had Christmas at my house, with g.children I did decorate, not a lot, but enough to keep them all happy. Always was delighted when I got it all down and put away on New Years Eve. A couple of years back, thinking I was moving to a smaller place I got rid of all the decorations I stored, and have never felt any need to replace them. I am always away at Christmas, and really cannot see the point. I am not a killjoy, enjoy any festive occasion, whatever religion it is supposed to be based on. Do get all my children and g.children Festive Presents. But decorations - no thanks, particularly the lit ones.

mpb1952A Wed 13-Dec-17 13:51:08

Thank you for your kind s thoughts

Maggiemaybe Wed 13-Dec-17 17:03:01

I'm so sorry for your loss, mpb1952A. flowers

M0nica Thu 14-Dec-17 15:10:36

My heart always goes out to those who lose family close to Christmas and all my sympathy goes to you mpb. No one can feel happy on a day of feasting and jollity when you have suffered a grievous loss so close to it.

They turned the my sister's life support off on Easter Sunday. As Christians, Easter Sunday is about Christ rising from the grave, new beginnings and new life. We certainly did not feel that, that Easter, nor the next when we went away as a family to place where all church services were in a foreign language, but after that we slowly recovered - as you will too*mpb*. I do not know when, there is no timetable. You do not stop grieving, but you get used to it, the loss is always there but so are the memories of all the good and happy times.

Christinefrance Thu 14-Dec-17 19:24:17

So sorry to hear of your loss mpb I think you are doing exactly the right thing for you and others you will be helping at Christmas, I hope you find peace and contentment in 2018 flowers
Low key and tasteful is not me either for the decorations, put it all up there with each memory it holds and enjoy.