Gransnet forums

Christmas

When does it start for you?

(38 Posts)
WilmaKnickersfit Fri 15-Dec-17 23:25:41

It starts for me in the first or second week of December when the trees and decorations go up and we sit in the dark every night with all the twinkling lights (I love fairy lights all year round). ?????

Then not much happens until I go to the panto with my friend, which is next Wednesday. This year it's my favourite Cinderella ????????????

It drops off again until we arrive at my Mum's in Scotland which is the 23rd this year. Then it's really Christmas. ???⛪?????????

grannyqueenie Fri 15-Dec-17 23:01:01

Im not sure when Christmas proper starts for me, probably Christmas Eve. But the start of the run up is definitely making mince pies with Christmas carols playing as I manhandle roll out the pastry!

M0nica Fri 15-Dec-17 17:37:52

Christmas starts when either DD or DD, DS and family arrive. When DC were young Christmas started when DH's parents arrived.

This year we have a full house, so Christmas will start late on 23rd December when DS and family arrive after a 4 hour evening journey south. DD arrives late the previous day.

Marmight Thu 14-Dec-17 22:58:22

It has to be Christmas Eve.
In the past, once the children were in bed and there was the mad rush to fill their stockings before one or all woke up and asked 'has he been yet....?'. Now, because I still get that special feeling of the wonder and magic of Christmas and remember the Christmases of my childhood when things were simpler but still full of excitement. I loathe the commercial build up to Christmas which seems to go on for ever. I'm not particularly religious but I think we've forgotten what it's all about. Peace and goodwill to all mankind in the middle of the frenzy of buying, buying, buying .....?

Bathsheba Thu 14-Dec-17 22:35:54

On Christmas Eve, when my DD and GD have arrived, and everything has been done, all presents wrapped and under the tree, all food bought and prepped. Anything that has been overlooked, well it's too bad because the shops have shut!! Which means I can relax and stop trying to think of any last minute things, pour myself a drink and listen to Christmas carols tchsmile

Grannyben Thu 14-Dec-17 21:28:34

Its different things for me, when the children were at homer it was when the decorations went up then other times it seemed to be when they broke up from school. Now it seems to be when I watch Alastair Sim every Christmas eve

Grandma70s Thu 14-Dec-17 21:03:02

When the solo choirboy sings Once in Royal David’s City from King’s Cambridge.

lemongrove Thu 14-Dec-17 20:57:28

The morning of Christmas Eve feels like the start of Christmas to me.whatever we are doing, it always feels like a special day, ending in midnight mass and hopefully a starry night to come out of church to and home for a hot cup of tea or hot chocolate.
Years ago, we had a good walk to church, up a long wooded lane which I really enjoyed, but I live next to the church
now, so no walk involved.

BBbevan Thu 14-Dec-17 19:44:15

When I worked in a school, Christmas started just after half term in October. That was when we started practicing the Christmas plays, making calendars etc. Loved it. Now , although I am all ready, Christmas doesn't start until the family get here. Possibly the 23rd or 24th.

merlotgran Thu 14-Dec-17 18:58:40

It'll start for me when we arrive at DD2's on Christmas Eve.

Up until then I'll be dealing with all the last minute stuff, taking the dogs to kennels on 23rd, trying to ignore DH's mounting travel anxiety and setting off as early as poss on 24th - praying that no traffic probs will make a three hour journey even longer.

We always have a wonderful time when we get there so I'm shoving any negative thoughts out of mind.

Smithy Thu 14-Dec-17 18:48:46

It starts for me when my daughter gets off the train ready to spend a few days over Christmas. Can't wait.

Greyduster Thu 14-Dec-17 18:00:10

Me neither, GA! Christmas Eve for me, when anything you’ve forgotten will have to stay forgotten, last minute prep is done, carols are on the hi fi, and I have a large drink in my hand!

grannyactivist Thu 14-Dec-17 17:39:48

As a child I remember thinking that Christmas had started when the decorations and the tree went up. As a young married woman it started when we set off on our Christmas holiday visit to my in-laws in Devon (the best Christmasses ever). Nowadays it tends to start on Christmas Eve. In some ways it was easier when I was working because we had a works Christmas 'do' to get in the spirit of the season and then the holiday started when I finished work. I don't ever remember a time of relaxing and just doing Christmassy things that didn't require me to do a whole lot of organisation to make it happen.