Gransnet forums

Christmas

Slightly sad taking decorations down

(29 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Fri 05-Jan-18 12:55:43

Do you feel slightly sad, wistful is perhaps a better word, when you take your Christmas decorations down? I do.

Tree now stripped, decorations packed carefully away, floor swept, chairs back in usual positions in sitting room, and the tree itself taken out of its adjustable star-shaped stand and put outside the garden gate to await collection by boy scouts tomorrow morning.

January seems so dark and cold now - always has, as long as I can remember. I know the days are getting longer, but that does not really help. I also know we wouldn't love Christmas so much if it came twice a year!

Anyone out there who really loves January, except all you who have a birthday in it?

ajanela Sat 06-Jan-18 20:45:54

Well that's why we make such a big thing of it in the UK. We need something to brighten the long winter and short days.

Taking cards down is sad but I don't send so many now and use electric cards. I always feel guilty if I get a real one and haven't sent one.

Well try a Birthday between Christmas and New Year, then you would have something to moan about.

Invite some friends for a drink (tea or wine) and cake on your Birthday and cheer up their January. wine flowers cupcake Happy Birthday.

Maggiemaybe Sat 06-Jan-18 23:59:03

Yes, our decorations have gone now and wistful is a very good word for how I feel. There were a few more, and coarser, words being used earlier when I realised the only way to get our oversized tree out without carpeting half the house with needles was to lop off every branch in situ with our old and blunt secateurs. DH was out and missed the fun, but came home to two bin bags full of branches, one bare trunk in a tree holder and me moaning about my aching hands and fretting about blisters. And so it ends for another year. At least the front room looks a lot bigger. smile

Mapleleaf Mon 08-Jan-18 17:09:23

Yes, I think "wistful" is a good word to use. Our decorations came down on Saturday and the room is now back to normal, but always seems bare for a while until I get used to it again. I think January always feels a bit flat after the festivities, but on the positive side, the daylight hours are slowly lengthening as has already been mentioned by some other posters. It really won't be long before we can think of gardening projects again! ?