Gransnet forums

Christmas

John Lewis Christmas Advert

(204 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Thu 15-Nov-18 08:01:13

Just watched the John Lewis Christmas Advert ?????

Good publicity for Elton John

Lisagran Tue 20-Nov-18 07:23:54

The Christmas ad by Waitrose is quite amusing, although I thought the daughter was rather young to be a big fan of Elton John smile

thevideosuite.com/waitrose-make-fun-of-john-lewis-with-their-cheeky-fast-forward-2018-christmas-advert/

Maggiemaybe Mon 19-Nov-18 23:11:02

Oh, I hadn't realised that, PamelaJ1. It seems a bit of a strange carry on.

PamelaJ1 Mon 19-Nov-18 16:45:00

He will be able to claim a bit back.

annodomini Mon 19-Nov-18 11:51:00

I just love the Waitrose ad. DiL put it on FB this morning and I laughed like a drain. And it clearly hasn't cost the Partnership very much!

Jalima1108 Mon 19-Nov-18 11:32:41

I think they reconciled Niobe, before she died a year or so ago, and he continued to support her during those 8 years, despite all.

Sparklefizz Mon 19-Nov-18 10:59:09

Niobe Yes, this has been mentioned on here already, and yes, he had an 8 year feud with his mother because she didn't like his partner/husband (a topic that crops up a great deal on GN) and he supported his husband against his mum, but - to be fair seemingly for the rest of his 63 years Elton and his mum got on well, so it's not too bad a track record, is it?

Niobe Mon 19-Nov-18 09:02:29

Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this has been mentioned already but didn't Elton have a long running feud with his mother for many years? The same mother whose gift of a piano set him on the road to fame and his huge fortune? The faux sentimentality of this ad makes me gag.

Jalima1108 Sun 18-Nov-18 23:14:20

But ticking the gift aid box just benefits the charity, not the donor, surely?
Yes, it does, the charity can reclaim any tax. I'm not sure if there is a limit. When I used to do foot-slogging door to door collections for a charity, I was surprised to find one or two people had special 'charity cheque books' so presumably a separate account just for charity giving.

Maggiemaybe Sun 18-Nov-18 22:25:12

But ticking the gift aid box just benefits the charity, not the donor, surely? I certainly hope he did tick it!

PamelaJ1 Sun 18-Nov-18 19:18:29

Annie, I think I am ‘middle class’, if the advert was aimed at me then it’s missed it’s mark. I think that I am capable of judging what is the ‘right type’ of present to give. As, I am sure, are the lower and upper classes. In fact , anyone with a ?.
I expect that if he donated to charity then he ticked the gift aid box!
Horrid, cynical, moi?

Iam64 Sun 18-Nov-18 18:41:41

NanaPlenty, you're so right about a wonder of a book, or a box of paints. I share your sadness for those living in poverty, war and other dreadful situations. I've found getting older leaves me feeling tearful at the suffering so many endure.

NanaPlenty Sun 18-Nov-18 10:54:56

I love it, I love Elton and I love music. I know that it's money making for the store - but of course that's advertising. I can see the magic of the message that something you give a child can spark an interest that lasts a lifetime and it doesn't necessarily have to be as big as a piano, it could be a book or just about anything. And for me it envokes imagination...the World is full of wonder, my only sadness is for those who are living in poverty, war and other awful situations and for them no time of year is good. As I get older I feel very strongly that the distribution of wealth is very wrong. Sorry ...., started to go off on a bit of a rant there.

GreenGran78 Sat 17-Nov-18 14:46:17

I agree, Iam64. I occasionally buy online - mainly second-hand books from Amazon that I can't track down elsewhere. Otherwise, I would rather see what I am buying "in the flesh", even though I don't enjoy trailing around the shops.

I try to support our local small shops as much as possible, even if it is a little more expensive. We used to have a thriving twice-weekly market in our little town, where you could buy virtually anything. Now that so many women are working, and haven't the time/can't be bothered it is reduced to just a handful of stalls. I think that it will be completely gone in a little while, which is such a pity.

As you say, use it, or lose it. Sadly, times change and online shopping is killing off our high-streets.

Iam64 Sat 17-Nov-18 10:59:14

John Lewis, like every other retail store on the High Street, or in the shopping mall, is no longer making the profits it once did. It's inevitable that will be reflected in the bonus paid to workers. I'm sure cleaners working for a firm who won the contract from John Lewis will be in a similar position to the majority of other workers in similar situations these days.
It's a really tough world out there. Yes yes, I know many of you will continue to criticise JL for the money spent on this Christmas advert. Its aim is to publicise the store, get people shopping there rather than from Amazon and other on line retailers.
We pay for our high street, or we lose it. That's my view for what its worth.

MiniMoon Sat 17-Nov-18 10:46:50

£7,000,000 for a Christmas advert is obscene. John Lewis and Waitrose are shedding staff, and cutting ancillary cleaning hours in order to save money. My DH works for a cleaning company employed by JL and Waitrose, and he and the other cleaners are expected to do the same job in less time!
Also the bonus paid to the partners will be the lowest ever.
The following is from the Guardian.
Workers at the John Lewis Partnership will receive a bonus worth just 5pc of their salary this year after the retailer cut the annual payout to its lowest level in 63 years.

Pre-tax profits at the employee-owned company sank 77pc to £104m in the year to January 27 due to £111m worth of restructuring costs and property impairments and narrower margins at its supermarket chain Waitrose.
To me the advert is more about Elton John than Christmas.

glammagran Sat 17-Nov-18 09:48:08

I feel desperately sorry for shop staff who have to endure Slade et al at this time of the year on an endless loop.

Anniebach Sat 17-Nov-18 08:34:49

Perhaps BlueBell it was the ‘middle class’ the advert was aimed at

Purplepoppies Sat 17-Nov-18 05:45:37

I don't mind a bit of Elton. I don't mind a Christmas advert. But I can't help think that maybe all the big advertisers should maybe save a little on their adverts (let's face it, we know they're there and whether or not we're going to shop there) and donate a chunk to charity anyway?
I expect we consumers find it commendable Elton donated his fee? I personally haven't got a pot a pee in most of the year but especially this time of year, but happily do what I can. Alot of charities suffer this time of year because of Christmas.
Anyway, that's my thoughts.
The advert was ok. ?

BlueBelle Fri 16-Nov-18 23:23:00

Been better if they hadn’t used a middle class looking family with an expensive gift that few families in the 40 s 50 s would have been able to afford

GreenGran78 Fri 16-Nov-18 22:35:32

LinAnn52 I agree with your sentiments. I think that EJ is very talented. I just don't see the sense on spending such huge amounts on advertising.
My little GD is getting a small gift and a course of swimming lessons from me. I doubt that I will be here to watch when she competes in the 2032 Olympics, though! sad

LinAnn52 Fri 16-Nov-18 22:22:55

I am a huge fan of Elton John, so I love the ad, and the message it conveys - don’t waste money on plastic tat for children, which will possibly end up in landfill within months. Give meaningful gifts, which may hopefully inspire them towards other interests. Not always easy I know, as I have grandchildren who are influenced by what is seen on television.

GreenGran78 Fri 16-Nov-18 22:19:20

I haven't read all the posts, so someone may have already made this point. I don't know whether Elton John will pass on his fee to charity, or not. The fact remains, though, that the money has been paid by the public through what they have spent at John Lewis. In effect, WE are paying his fee, whatever he decides to do with it.

Iam64 Fri 16-Nov-18 21:39:57

How exciting Maw, I expect all the family will be full of joy
Bluebelke, no I haven’t changed my name since I joined. I may be operating under false prestences. Or, maybe I can self ID as 64, I remember my knees didn’t ache so much then, so lots to recommend it

Maggiemaybe Fri 16-Nov-18 20:48:38

For him, Maw, not her. Where’s that ruddy edit button?

Maggiemaybe Fri 16-Nov-18 20:47:39

Oh, that’s lovely, Maw, how exciting for her!

I did have tap dancing lessons, and wowed many a local village hall audience with my hula dancing and All the Nice Girls Love a Sailor. There wasn’t much on telly in those days and at least we were in colour.

Yes, Jalima, how our talents were squandered.