Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas shopping

(78 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 15-Nov-18 11:13:01

Struggling for Christmas gift ideas for the partner who has everything? Trying to find the perfect gift for your grandchildren? Want to share a link to a brilliant bargain or that perfect winter coat? Or are you looking for advice about whether or not those penguin slippers you've seen on Amazon are over the top?

We thought we'd start a thread where you can all share Christmas gift ideas or links to things you've bought or are considering buying but need advice on.
Any good bargains too! tchgrin

Blue45Sapphire Fri 16-Nov-18 08:53:04

Lurking on the dark side, I found the ideal gift for DD - it's pricey, but she has been very good to me since DH died. I think it's called Book Spa, and they will deliver a book every month or so over a year. I can get her a voucher for it. She will need to contact them to discuss her reading tastes, likes/ dislikes, then they will search out books for her. As she has requested books for Christmas, it seems ideal.

gillybob Fri 16-Nov-18 09:07:30

Oh what an amazing gift for a book lover Blue45Sapphire I hope your DD loves it, I know I would . smile

HellsBells Fri 16-Nov-18 09:50:57

"Don't buy her flowers.com" has a wide selection of very thoughtful gifts for men and women and cancer sufferers that you can send by post with a handwritten gift tag - ideal for grown ups -its the children i struggle with

sazz1 Fri 16-Nov-18 10:05:47

I have 15 children to buy for including my 3 DGC so all great nieces and great nephews over 3 get a selection box and a toy for the little ones. Nieces and nephews get a bottle of wine and tin of biscuits which is always well received. Sons get money bottle of spirits and tin of chocolates. Daughter gets money or gifts she chooses, she writes a list and I pick from it. And us 4 sister's do secret Santa to the value of £20. We write 3 things on paper in a sealed envelope with our name on and pick one to buy. Works well.

Katekeeprunning Fri 16-Nov-18 10:12:16

Pecs - great idea. Can you check the www as I can't get that web page to come up?

Juliet27 Fri 16-Nov-18 10:13:05

Seasider..I did the DNA test too and it came up with just one match - an exact one with my son. I hadn’t realised he’d done the test too. Could have saved the cost.

jenni123 Fri 16-Nov-18 10:15:25

Because I have about 16 people to buy for, ie family and friends and I am on a tight budget, I start to shop for Christmas in January and continue throughout the year. I buy my cards in January, you can get really nice cards very cheap. i have a box I place gifts I have purchased in, Yes occasionally I will see something for sale and decide to get it for a certain person then find I had already got something for them but if that happens they get the other gift for a birthday. It works for me and I don't panic in Nov, Dec that I can't afford things for people.

Angelmph Fri 16-Nov-18 10:18:50

We have all agreed that time together is more precious than 'things. Also no one really wants more dust collectors. So this Christmas my DD and SIL will receive a certificate rntitling them to a day at the seaside. This could be in the winter with fish and chips lunch and brisk walk, or in the warmer weather with ice creams and swimming in the sea. I have been gifted a day at a museum for my birthday... to be enjoyed when we can all make it. I can thoroughly recommend this type of gifting smile

Kim19 Fri 16-Nov-18 10:24:41

B45S what a great find and thank you for sharing. I will certainly make use of this and already have one person in mind. I do reasonable and in-depth searching of sites and it never fails to amaze me how many I'm unaware of. This chatroom certainly comes into its own when recommending products and 'finds'. I've made a few sizeable purchases as a result. Thank you all contributors and keep 'em coming, please. Terrific.

Dancinggran Fri 16-Nov-18 10:45:56

Over 10 years ago my siblings and I decided we would no longer buy for each other or our nieces and nephews who were nearly all over 18. I now buy for my grandchildren, parents and my aunt who has never been married. I buy tickets for a musical for my parents and aunt (matinee performance, they get the bus to Manchester, have lunch and make a real day of it). My grandchildren I am taking 4 (aged 6-9) to an Indoor Ski Slope (it was a special offer 50mins ski and 1 hour snow fun) another I am taking to the theatre 'Dr Dolittle' and the oldest, almost 15 is getting tickets to see her favourite band (this is a joint Christmas and Birthday present from both her mum and myself as tickets were expensive) I can't wait to see her face as she knows tickets prices are out of reach for her single mum. They get toys, games etc that are played with for a while and then put in a cupboard and forgotten about. They are still at an age where they enjoy spending time with me so I'm making the most of it. I'm not going with the eldest that will be decided nearer the time - mum or friend

Jane43 Fri 16-Nov-18 10:50:23

I used to love buying gifts and wrapping them up but now everybody wants money so I just buy a token present for wrapping and a nice money wallet to put money in for everybody. We stopped buying for our siblings and their children and grandchildren by mutual agreement a few years ago and have no parents to buy for now. DH and I also only buy a few token gifts for each other now. It has simplified Christmas but is just not the same as it used to be.

Nannytopsy Fri 16-Nov-18 10:58:05

Just discovered Playskool heroes transformers. Chunky enough for 5 year old fingers and a rescue bot, so no guns!
I just know DGS will love it,

HootyMcOwlface Fri 16-Nov-18 10:59:08

PECS that thewhiskyclub.co.uk web address doesn’t come up, could you double check it for us please, it sounds great!

jane1956 Fri 16-Nov-18 11:00:15

just used all £100 nectar pointsdouble up at sainsburys till Sunday. Got years playstation and new game for grandson. used £50 points but worth £100. used rest at argos for grandaughter. Also got half price beauty (bath etc) advent calender for daughter in law b'day next week so well pleased

Caro57 Fri 16-Nov-18 11:40:51

I was brought up on the basis of 'it's the thought that counts' - not the monetary value. Regardless of the gift - if it's 'wrappable' may I suggest / plead that we use brown paper as shiny / sparkly wrapping paper is not recyclable - so we can give to the environment as well as our nearest and dearest

GabriellaG Fri 16-Nov-18 12:07:47

Here goes:
For the woman who has everything (does such a female exist?)
1) Magazine subscription, a gift which lasts all year (and often has freebies attached)
2) Spa day for 2 at a 5* hotel.
3) Champagne afternoon tea at a premium hotel, Claridges, The Ritz, The Goring, Browns, Mandarin Oriental...I've been to them all and all treat you like royalty.
4) An M&S beauty advent calendar.
5) Cashmere scarf nicely wrapped in coloured tissue etc.
6) Leather gloves.
7) 'Red Letter Day' gift card. I have done a day clay pigeon shooting, an afternoon with owls (cute and funny) and a solo parachute jump (a great way to get rid of a tiresome friend)
Many options, balloon trip with bubbly, driving a lambo etc.
8) Professional photo shoot.
9) Dinner on the Orient Express or similar.
10) Drinks, dinner and dancing onboard a Thames riverboat.

Melanie123 Fri 16-Nov-18 12:26:40

My step daughter is very difficult to buy for and in addition is going away to study abroad so doesn’t want “things”. I’ve offered to get hair, nails, lashes and other beauty treatments done.
She loves the idea.

Lilyflower Fri 16-Nov-18 13:13:59

I am beyond amused at the idea of a 'Bat Detector' as a present. (Hope no one sees it and thinks of me, useful as I am sure it must be.)

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 16-Nov-18 13:34:07

Some really excellent suggestions, thank you.

Here's a link to Red Letter Days for those who want to follow up on GabriellaG's tip.

Also, over on MN they're also running a thread on Black Friday deals.

sharon103 Fri 16-Nov-18 14:15:20

Argos are doing 3 for 2 on toys.The cheapest item free. Boots are doing the same. Bargains to had on ebay. Joules have a sale on as do Cath Kidston.

missdeke Fri 16-Nov-18 14:36:54

If anyone could come up with something for my mum I would be eternally grateful. she's 98, registered blind and severely arthritic. She lives alone and cooks for herself but has a carer for cleaning. She never goes out and can no longer read or watch tv, her radio is her lifeline. She always gets more flowers than she can cope with, is just starting to use last years gifts of clothes, slippers, smellies etc and I am completely at a loss this year. confused

Maggiemaybe Fri 16-Nov-18 14:46:08

If anyone’s got any Nectar points, they can double them up at any Sainsbury’s superstore and get free stuff in several departments until Sunday. But if anyone was after the Lego Advent calendar in my local store...sorry, I’ve just snaffled the last one. smile

evianers Fri 16-Nov-18 14:58:20

Apropos something a little different, it is our Golden Wedding on 04/01/2019 and our son has asked that we choose an experience, rather than a material gift. We went ballooning over Mont Blanc for DH's 70th. Anyone any really original ideas please? Thank you in advance.

GabriellaG Fri 16-Nov-18 15:31:55

missdeke
Talking books, either free from library or bought online from A- Z.

GabriellaG Fri 16-Nov-18 15:35:16

If one of you still drives, hire a luxe marque car, Astin Martin or similar for the weekend and book a posh overnight stop.