Gransnet forums

Christmas

Steaming a Christmas pudding

(56 Posts)
jellybeanjean Fri 23-Nov-18 11:38:30

Morning all,

I made two puddings earlier this month (one for my DD to take home with her and a bigger one for us) but really struggled with the steaming side. I lent my proper steamer to someone and can't remember who, so had to use the expanding basket type ones (for steaming veg) instead, not terribly successfully. Steaming the bigger pud, which I think is 3 pint, was a real struggle. All the steamers I've looked at are just not deep enough. I've got a deep enough saucepan so that's not the issue. What do others do, and is it worth trying Lakeland (thus taking out a small mortgage at the same time?)

absent Sun 25-Nov-18 04:44:29

A pressure cooker – not very fashionable these days – cuts down the time and the sauna effect in the kitchen.

Pour 1.8 litres/3 pints boiling water into the pressure cooker and put the pudding on the trivet. Close the lid but do not fit the weight. Pre-steam for 20 minutes, then position the weight and bring to high pressure. Cook for 2 hours, then remove from the heat. Allow the pressure to reduce at room temperature before removing the weight. Remove the pudding and allow to cool before storing.

To cook before serving, pour 1.8 litres/3pints boiling water into the pressure cooker and put the pudding on the trivet. Close the lid but do not fit the weight. Pre-steam for 20 minutes, then position the weight and bring to high pressure. Cook for 1 hour, then remove from the heat. Allow the pressure to reduce at room temperature before removing the weight.

grammargran Sun 25-Nov-18 08:55:31

jellybeabjean grit your teeth, take out another mortgage and buy that Lakeland steamer, it’ll last forever. Always steam my puddings, eight hours initially then three on Christmas Day. I could be persuaded into a slow cooker though - I’m just following family tradition with the steaming - microwave? Not for me, but live and let live! My steamer is in use everyday as all our veggies are steamed.

Sarahmob Sun 25-Nov-18 08:56:56

The first year my mum had a microwave she decided to use it to prepare her shop bought Xmas pud. Having read the instructions she decided that 2 mins was a misprint and cooked it for 10! Result was an inedible, rubbery bomb that even the birds wouldn’t eat. She’s never lived it down ?

GabriellaG Sun 25-Nov-18 23:03:46

After reading all the posts I realise that I've saved myself lots of time as I loathe Christmas pudding (and cake) and so do my AC so we bypass all that kerfuffle. grin

Witzend Tue 27-Nov-18 08:53:03

Must check whether mine (already made in trad. basins) will fit in the slow cooker. I have a feeling it'll be tight.

If they do, how long do you reheat them for on the day, and on which setting?