Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas jumpers - nice or naff?

(86 Posts)
petitpois Fri 23-Nov-18 15:22:24

Personally, I love mine. BUT I do try and buy second-hand where possible so I'm not creating extra waste. People tend to only wear them a few times so they're usually in excellent condition. Glitzier, sillier and more embarrassing the better - in my opinion. tchgrin

B9exchange Sat 24-Nov-18 16:27:03

I can't bear the ones with words on, but I spotted this one in Asda direct.asda.com/george/women/jumpers-cardigans/blue-sequin-penguin-christmas-jumper/GEM653978,default,pd.html?cgid=D1M1G20C5 and couldn't resist it. I bought my first ever Christmas jumper last year and will alternate with this one, probably for the next 10 years or so. I put it on for the first time today, DH went into raptures (very unusual for him!) and everywhere I have gone I have received compliments, so very happy.

My Grandmother and my mother would have had a fit, but sadly they are no longer here. sad

Gonegirl Sat 24-Nov-18 16:29:15

I have been trawling the internet trying to find a nice Christmas cardi. Why does it have to be all jumpers?

Coolgran65 Sat 24-Nov-18 17:49:27

I have never owned a Christmas jumper and never will. I do wear read to be festive etc but a glittery Christmas jumper stretched across my ginormous booby assets would be a sight to fear.

notanan2 Sat 24-Nov-18 18:45:50

They dont all need to stretch over the boobs cool
You can get christmas jumpers with cut out holes for the boobies

Overthehills Sat 24-Nov-18 19:11:36

My temperature gauge is far too unpredictable for a jumper of any kind! grin
Of course Christmas jumpers are naff but, as the vast majority on here seem to approve of them, I think I shall customise a tee shirt or lighter top. wink

DanniRae Sun 25-Nov-18 08:29:55

Can't wait to wear mine. Do I have to wait until 1st December? confused

seacliff Sun 25-Nov-18 09:18:08

I would like to buy a Christmassy light scarf, to make my existing tops look festive, and a more versatile option. So far no luck.

seacliff Sun 25-Nov-18 09:20:31

B9, I liked that top when I saw it online in asda, good to know it is nice in the flesh. I like the colours too.

justwokeup Sun 25-Nov-18 21:12:45

Naff, tacky, horrible and cheap? Maybe, but they make me smile, as long as they don't have crude slogans. I have a couple of nice Scandinavian ones and some toned down ones, slightly sparkly or snowy. I even have a Fair Isle pattern cardigan with tiny reindeer on. We start wearing them from the first visit in early December to the outdoor Christmas market and they've been rotated for most of December for a few years. Most came from sales or charity shops but I try not to buy the sweat shop ones (not easy). We dress up Christmas Day but they come out again on Boxing Day. I also like Christmas bling in the home - bedding, toilet rolls, towels, as well as decorations! I bought Christmas bedding as I didn't have enough for visitors in the past but still use it years later. tchsmile

Seakay Mon 26-Nov-18 16:52:03

I like the Save the Children Day, but doubt if everyone wearing a jumper has donated. I also think that it would be better to give to money to Save the Children rather than buying a jumper to wear once or twice which then goes to charity or landfill