Gransnet forums

Christmas

Advent Calendars for grown ups - any thoughts?

(100 Posts)
crystaltipps Sat 01-Dec-18 08:00:04

I thought these were a bit naff but was bought one with 24 different tea bags last year and loved it. Haven’t got one this year unless one turns up today☹️ I know this has been discussed before but has anyone got an unusual good one? Or are they just another marketing ploy?

MissAdventure Sat 01-Dec-18 23:12:29

True. Anything which makes someone ridiculously pleased is ok in my book.
I'm even feeling slightly envious.. smile

gillybob Sat 01-Dec-18 23:21:18

Just had a laugh listening to Lisa Tarbuck on Radio 2 this evening, someone texted in to say “happy 6th December “ (they had a gin advent calendar) tchgrin

Coconut Sun 02-Dec-18 09:53:24

I bought my 2 granddaughters advent calendars with different nail varnishes in 2 years ago and they loved them. Last year it was various types of makeup and this year its perfume.

Urmstongran Sun 02-Dec-18 09:57:41

I love Lisa Tarbuck on the radio 2 programme on early Saturday evening too gillybob. She is such a natural and often her listeners comments (which make the show - a bit like Terry Wogan’s back in the day) are a delight! It’s like a cosy get together with friends.
As for the topi. ‘Advent Calendars’ I’ve never had one as an adult but yesterday one of my AC rang to say her husband had totally surprised her with a Mac (makeup) one and she was absolutely thrilled to think of all the tiny treats in store! Another person ridiculously pleased MissAdventure and like you say, why not?

teabagwoman Sun 02-Dec-18 09:58:53

I’m a curmudgeon too. I do the opposite. Each day I put something essential in to a box for the Food Bank. January can be a very difficult time for people. That said if you enjoy having one and it brightens your day go for it.

HurdyGurdy Sun 02-Dec-18 09:59:38

Kateykrunch - "Then 40 year old Daughter moaned that I hadn’t bought her one!, when does it stop lol"

I don't think it ever does! I still "have to" get my "children" advent calendars (they're 30, 28 and 26)

Daughter has got a Swizzles scented candles one (smell of things like love hearts and parma violets), middle son has a Lindt chocolate one (he has NO hobbies or interests other than football and I didn't think I'd get a calendar big enough to fit a player in each window lol) and youngest son has a Star Wars Lego one.

I did miss getting them one each one year, thinking they were too old, but the sulks were epic and I went back to getting them grin

olliebeak Sun 02-Dec-18 09:59:40

I was given one on Friday from my DS1 - a Duerr's 'Jam/Marmalade one' - with a small jar of Whisky Marmalade for Christmas Day morning :smile:.

oldbatty Sun 02-Dec-18 10:02:42

Of course we can enjoy things and brighten up our days but does stuff make you happy? would it be good to be mindful about plastic and waste in general.

plentyoftime Sun 02-Dec-18 10:13:26

My daughter got me a gin Advent calendar from Sainsbury’s. 24 different flavoured gins. Just the job!

Kim19 Sun 02-Dec-18 10:17:10

Thought I was indifferent until - surprise, surprise, - the postie delivered me one the other evening. Can't remember when I last had one. 20 plus years? Totally
unexpected. I'm now having a piece of chocolate of various flavours for breakfast and will happily do so until the 24th. Wonderful! My thanks to a dear friend of longstanding and messrs G&B. Neither needed it nor wanted it but am already loving it. Life is full of surprises. Hallelujah!

GabriellaG Sun 02-Dec-18 10:29:03

GrannyGravy13
I'm so glad you didn't tell as I have 2 unopened M&S advent boxes and trying to put off opening one of them till later. I know I won't use the lipsticks so I'll pass those on (if there are any)
Anyway, I hope you enjoy using the first of your treats. smile

mabon1 Sun 02-Dec-18 10:37:52

Never had one, don't want one.

GabriellaG Sun 02-Dec-18 10:41:50

DanniRae
Yes indeed. I would have been 5 in 1950 and got one every year together with a selection box, usually Cadbury's.
I also still have the unopened rectangular tin containing a Cadbury milk chocolate bar (6d) which were given by schools on the occasion of the Queen's coronation at our street party. grin

aggie Sun 02-Dec-18 10:42:20

Mabon I wish you would tell us whats wrong flowers I hate to see anyone so sad xxx

GabriellaG Sun 02-Dec-18 10:42:50

Scrooge...bah humbug grin
What makes you smile?

EthelJ Sun 02-Dec-18 10:44:21

JackieB I love the sound of those advent calendars, can I ask where you got them from? I always but one for my daughter, son in law , son (nice posh chocolate) and the grandkids (Lego this year) but not for myself but if there are any left I I am tempted to get one.

harrigran Sun 02-Dec-18 10:48:01

I bought GD1 a Bodyshop calendar this year, as a teenager I thought she would enjoy a little beauty treat every day. GD2 got a Lego one again. They both have a chocolate one too, a treat for when they get in from school, they have a very long day.

Chewbacca Sun 02-Dec-18 10:51:31

Mabon1 BINGO! ?

David1968 Sun 02-Dec-18 10:53:49

I'm enjoying the online avent calendar from Jacquie Lawson (e-card artist.) It's beautiful and I "send" it annually to DGC & to a close friend. They all love it. This year the calendar is set in Edinburgh. Something "happens " every day and there are additional puzzles and games. You can get a free "taster" of this online - absolutely pukkah and I recommend it. Suitable for anyone over about age four or five. (And I've no connection with this, other than being a very satisfied customer! )

oldbatty Sun 02-Dec-18 11:01:56

I like you Mabon. Never mind angst about the planet and philosophical questions about consumerism, just cut to the chase.

labazs1964 Sun 02-Dec-18 11:06:55

wait a few days and the advents will be reduced means you have to open a few windows first off but that means more treats

MissAdventure Sun 02-Dec-18 11:19:42

In that case I might treat myself to a chocolate one. smile

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sun 02-Dec-18 11:25:55

I am already behind with this but a couple of years ago I made a fabric advent calendar with pockets in which each year I put tiny chocolate treats in for all 4 of us (hubby, son, son's girlfriend and me). I bought a couple of tubs of Lidls small wrapped choccies for the purpose. However I haven't put it up yet as although I know where the calendar is, I've mislaid the sweeties for it!

annsixty Sun 02-Dec-18 11:50:37

Well I have used my "eye filler*, treat no 2 from M&S and I am very pleased to say my 81 year old eyes now only look 79 so I am a very happy bunny.?

Kateykrunch Sun 02-Dec-18 11:54:28

Ann, there were no instructions on the eye filler (unless its on the back of the box and I dont want to spoil my daily surprise), how did you use it? If you keep using it, it may take 2 years at a time, whoop, whoop.