Gransnet forums

Christmas

Advent Calendars for grown ups - any thoughts?

(100 Posts)
crystaltipps Sat 01-Dec-18 08:00:04

I thought these were a bit naff but was bought one with 24 different tea bags last year and loved it. Haven’t got one this year unless one turns up today☹️ I know this has been discussed before but has anyone got an unusual good one? Or are they just another marketing ploy?

MissAdventure Sun 02-Dec-18 11:59:57

grin Ann

sandelf Sun 02-Dec-18 12:21:18

I had thought they were harmless fun (my only direct experience is of a little paper one from the 60's - just Christmas story theme - which we brought out year after year). But I just googled and am very shocked at the greed and cost involved. So it's a big thumbs down from me. - How do you afford a gift AT Christmas if you do this too? It's getting a bit out of hand don't you think.

Craftycat Sun 02-Dec-18 12:28:22

Well they certainly gets the thumbs up from me this year.
DH presented me with a Prosecco Advent Calendar!!
Now that is what I call a great gift.
It does mean waiting until the evening to enjoy it but I open it in the morning so it is well chilled - as am I!

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Dec-18 12:46:53

Haven’t used today’s M & S gift.

I feel no guilt whatsoever over my Advent Calendar, I bought it for myself, if it wasn’t for me Christmas wouldn’t happen in our house as Mr GG is not bothered!!! So it’s my treat to me ?????

B9exchange Sun 02-Dec-18 12:49:24

I loved the manger scenes with glitter that I had as a child, taking turns with my brother to find and open the windows, the numbers were always so well hidden! I still buy one of these from the Cathedral for each little family. I know the children get showered with chocolate ones these days, but they do seem to actually use the one I give them too, hoping it will make them think a little about the Christ in Christmas.

annsixty Sun 02-Dec-18 12:50:23

I couldn't read any instructions anyway so I just patted it on under each eye.
I do of course look fabulous ?

DanniRae Sun 02-Dec-18 12:55:49

Good for you GrannyGravy - I had a Boots No7 one last year and thoroughly enjoyed opening the different doors every day tchsmile

Marmight Sun 02-Dec-18 13:27:16

This is mine. I'm saving all 24 bottles until the 25th then having a glorious wine tasting with the family. Ok, I know it's way off the mark, but it's a bit of fun....?

grandtanteJE65 Sun 02-Dec-18 14:16:19

We have a calendar from the local shopkeeper's association, apart from a picture every day there is also a lottery no. so you can win a voucher to one of the local shops. (In theory that is, never won anything yet in the 3 years we have lived here).

On Wednesday we are treating ourselves to a trip to Flensburg to watch St. Nicholas sail into to town bringing presents for all the good little children.

Doubt there will be anything for the grown-ups, but it is lovely watching the little ones' faces.

millymouge Sun 02-Dec-18 14:45:45

My GD bought each of my dogs an advent calendar with the special dog chocolate in them. hmm They love them, but although it is good of her I do rather feel it is just another way of getting you to spend your money.

BonnieBlooming Sun 02-Dec-18 15:27:55

I bought my husband a cheese one from Asda and he bought me the Quality Street one. First year we have done this.

GabriellaG Sun 02-Dec-18 16:10:01

Jacquie is a neighbour and her cards are fabulous. I use them all the time.

GabriellaG Sun 02-Dec-18 16:14:00

GrannyGravy13
I've just opened mine and shall use some before bedtime. grin

David1968 Sun 02-Dec-18 16:41:17

Oh GabriellaG, you are so lucky! Our family & friends just love the Jacquie Lawson e-cards. And her online advent calendar is brilliant! (A wonderful idea which costs little and offers hours of fun - with not a chocolate in sight.)

marionk Sun 02-Dec-18 17:03:18

I think this is the first time my DH has bought me an advent calendar and he has surpassed himself - it’s a gin one! Marry Christmas hic

Elrel Sun 02-Dec-18 17:15:16

teabag - What makes you think people on here aren't also doing the Reverse Advent Calendar for a foodbank too?

teabagwoman Sun 02-Dec-18 17:35:17

Elrel I simply said what I was doing. I’m sorry if I gave the impression that I was being judgemental.

Camelotclub Sun 02-Dec-18 18:28:37

A bit OT but I got my cat an advent calendar from Aldi, and he spat out the 'treats' contained in the 1st December window! Likewise today, played football with them. So much for advent calendars and ingrate cats.

Saetana Sun 02-Dec-18 20:15:30

Me and the husband have chocolate advent calendars this year - Lindt for me and Galaxy for him as he thinks Lindt is too sickly! Every couple of years I get a beauty advent for myself and buy the other half 24 small gifts (£1-3 each) - good job I am a fantastic shopper grin We decided on every other year for the non-chocolate advents as it can be a bit time-consuming, some years we do the 12 days thing in small gifts. I love everything about Christmas and embrace it enthusiastically - and drag my long-suffering husband along with me wink

KEE9697 Sun 02-Dec-18 20:19:55

I think they're great! I bought 17 this year, all presents. They ranged from chocolate biscuits to perfume, from cereal bars to bath bombs, and some inbetween. I gave them as presents to friends and family, so far no complaints..... Except as I have a large family they have to keep them in their rooms as they take up so much space! I really enjoyed researching them and will definitely buy them next year. After all, what man doesn't like a bit of pork scratching now and then!

Greyduster Sun 02-Dec-18 20:48:15

I heard Alexander Armstrong say this morning that there is a pork scratchings Advent calendar. That is completely bizarre!

GreenGran78 Sun 02-Dec-18 23:47:05

Only one problem. My teenager GKs complained that Mum was pinching their chocolate out of the calendars, last year, even though I had bought her one as well. How do you cater for a chocoholic daughter? Do they make advent calendars with mousetraps hidden inside?

ginny Mon 03-Dec-18 07:34:32

Surely it’s up to each person to decide what to spend their money on. We don’t know other people’s circumstances. Maybe they are generous to charities and other people. Maybe those that don’t buy expensive calendars are out at the pub every night spending fortunes on boooze and cigarettes.

oldbatty Mon 03-Dec-18 08:48:23

Of course it is up to the individual how they spend their money. We have a collective responsibility to planet Earth.

I don't think its a choice between a spend fest and being Scrooge.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 03-Dec-18 09:13:30

Very happy with No.3 - thank you M & S.

Oldbatty we recycle everything that we can all year long. Which is how it should be.