Gransnet forums

Christmas

Gransnet's virtual Christmas party - everyone's invited

(145 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 06-Dec-18 15:30:19

We've dusted off the baubles, stocked up on bubbly and mince pies, and will be putting up the tree tomorrow. All in preparation for the annual online Gransnet Christmas Party. Although we may have to replenish the tins of chocolates (someone has demolished the lot ?). tchwink

We know that for many reasons, some of you might be spending the festive season on your own, so if that's the case, or if you simply find a spare minute on the day and fancy popping in to celebrate, please do.

There'll be a welcome mulled wine from HQ, some cheesy Christmas jokes, and loads of good wishes from fellow gransnetters. tchsmile

EDIT: We've even got The Gransnet Playlist sorted thanks to your suggestions. So feel free to have this on high volume while you dance around the kitchen.

1974cookie Tue 25-Dec-18 21:09:44

Oh No !
Some thieving sod has pinched one of my new Glass Slippers. Can You Believe It ???
I was having such a lovely time dancing to Motorhead when one of my shoes fell off during a rather frenzied dance routine.
It is so annoying as they cost an ABSOLUTE fortune. Doesn't anyone make quality shoes anymore ?
Okay, they were not the most comfortable shoes in the world but they did sparkle in the disco lights.
I heard someone mention something about a strange man picking it up and muttering something about marrying the person it fitted?
What on earth was that all about.
Weird.
tchsmile

Anniebach Tue 25-Dec-18 21:09:01

paul, you didn’t see a mad Welshman by the bridge, it was me, Fred’s battery went flat at Abergavenny and had to be towed to the bridge

FarNorth Tue 25-Dec-18 20:27:56

Gonna Shake my Moneymaker!! How strong is that chandelier, by the way?

FarNorth Tue 25-Dec-18 20:26:28

Wow! This party's really rocking! No wonder no-one's posted for a while!
I didn't know baubles could be used for that! tchshock

Mapleleaf Tue 25-Dec-18 19:52:07

Calling in to say good evening.
Christmas started really well here, lovely day, visiting the family then home to prepare our meal. We got as far as nearly completing the main course, then DH didn’t feel well so went to bed, so that was the end of the Christmas meal! ( Not really on to eat the pud and then cheese by myself, so spent a good hour washing up and clearing everything away). Just sat down and about to watch “ Call the Midwife”. Will check on DH shortly to see how he’s doing.
Hope your end to the day has been less eventful.

Jane10 Tue 25-Dec-18 16:07:24

Oh where am I?! I just sat down for a wee rest on a pile of grit at the roadside and must have fallen asleep. I seem to have been scooped up into a truck. The truck is going a fair speed and rocking and rolling. I trying to alert cars behind us but people just wave back cheerily before overtaking the truck. I can just make out what the driver's saying to his mate. Something about an 'Argy Bargy cafe'. Maybe that's where we're headed? Hope there's a phone there.

ninathenana Tue 25-Dec-18 16:05:47

Someone better stand guard over the buffet. As I posted on another thread my cooking today left a lot to be desired tchblush so I'll be raiding the grub and drowning my sorrows.

NanKate Tue 25-Dec-18 15:39:03

Will be turning up shortly. I need a little nap now but am sure I will liven up when my dance partner Rufus turns up to do his stuff. ??

I must say cheese and pineapple on a stick is a bit passé but the bubbly and mince pies look inviting.

I’m ready to ‘get on down’. ?

Oldwoman70 Tue 25-Dec-18 14:56:31

Bike has a flat tyre so will be late - 2 gentlemen have offered me a lift but I'm not sure I should accept - are balaclavas a new Christmas accessory?

Paul2706 Tue 25-Dec-18 14:30:48

Someone said turn left at the Severn Bridge now got an angry Welshman waving a leek at me so apologies if I arrive latetchwink

Pittcity Tue 25-Dec-18 12:40:39

DGS has a new drone and DS got a dashcam...just need to find more batteries!

ninathenana Tue 25-Dec-18 12:32:40

If your not here by 5 we'll send out a search party.
If anyone received a drone for Christmas can they bring it to the party. We can have a game of hunt Jane if anyone is still sober.

crazyH Tue 25-Dec-18 11:40:12

I'm not quick witted as everyone, but I definitely am joining in too. Pass me the Prosecco ???

Jane10 Tue 25-Dec-18 11:34:05

I don't know where I am. I must have had more of the Bristol Cream than I thought. I can see hills in the distance but there's just empty moors as far as I can see. I hitched up my skirt and donkey jacket and waved enticingly at a passing car but they must have missed me as they seemed to speed up as they passed. I heard a shout of 'loser' so they must have been playing some sort of I spy car game. Will just trudge on. I'll sing a wee song to cheer myself up.

ninathenana Tue 25-Dec-18 11:22:35

What road are you on Jane ? If you can entertain yourself for an hour I'll do a detour and pick you up.

Jane10 Tue 25-Dec-18 09:14:43

Yoo Hoo! I'm on the virtual bus on my way to the virtual party. The atmosphere is great. The driver's wearing a santa hat and we're all enjoying the music from a young man's phone. He's been chatting to his girlfriend (or we all hope it's his girlfriend!) but now he's turned up the music volume. I can hardly hear what the woman behind me is saying about her DiL but she's obviously no better than she should be. Whatever that means. Unfortunately, the man in the seat across from me seems to be suffering: not sure which is worse the halitosis or the flatulence. Sprout overload last night maybe?
There's a bottle of Bristol Cream being passed round. My turn soon but first I think I'll sing a wee song for everyone. La la la...
Not long till we get there but, wait, what's going on? They can't put me off the bus. Its not fair, it's, it's, byee!

rubysong Tue 25-Dec-18 08:39:17

Happy Christmas to those early arrivers! I'm cooking breakfast. My neighbour came to the door yesterday with a card and some eggs from her hens. I've put them on to boil. Off to church shortly but I'll be back later to do the washing up.

Pittcity Tue 25-Dec-18 08:36:42

I've brought Christmas kitchen roll and loo paper (not sure Holly print was the best idea). There's a big pot of Rennies in Soop's kitchen.

Mapleleaf Tue 25-Dec-18 08:25:10

It's arrived at last. Are we all ready for the party!!?
Merry Christmas ??? tchgrin

Granny23 Tue 25-Dec-18 08:14:09

Just having a breather here before the Merry Band descends, Wishing all at and on Grannsnet

Nollaig Chridheil agus Bliadhna Mhath Ùr...

Samiejb Mon 24-Dec-18 11:04:23

Sounds good to me - see you there

Evie49 Fri 21-Dec-18 19:09:22

Sounds fun. I could give those sparkly Christmas earrings an outing; seriously though it is a really good idea. It is such a shame that public transport over the Christmas period is virtually non existent. That lack of provision makes life hard for people who live alone and who feel isolated.

absent Thu 20-Dec-18 03:45:32

Is that virtual party or virtual Christmas – or both?

SparklyGrandma Thu 20-Dec-18 03:36:11

Thank you GNHQ

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 19-Dec-18 19:14:46

In case anyone missed it on the other thread we've now put together The Gransnet Playlist thanks to your suggestions. So if you're not too full of turkey, feel free to have this on high volume while you dance around the kitchen.