Gransnet forums

Christmas

Stuffing!

(37 Posts)
ecci53 Sun 09-Dec-18 15:03:07

Now that I'm old and on lots of medication, I find that my digestive system will no longer tolerate onions or leeks. No more sage and onion stuffing with Christmas dinner for me, sadly. Can anyone suggest a tasty, low fat, delicious alternative?

hdh74 Tue 11-Dec-18 19:21:08

My Dd and I have multiple (and different) food intolerances, so out stuffing balls are just gluten free sausage meat ( I squeeze it out of gf sausages) mixed with some chives and sage. My DD can't eat onions or leeks but finds chives a good substitute. There is also a powder you can get called asafoetida which if used sparingly gives a nice savoury sort of oniony flavour (but tastes a bit weird if you use too much).

hdh74 Tue 11-Dec-18 19:21:47

Oh and I use low fat gf sausages due to hubby's cholesterol (asda)

ecci53 Tue 11-Dec-18 19:22:40

Thank you all, some lovely ideas here. I'm going to try several. I'll be stuffed!!!!

minxie Tue 11-Dec-18 19:53:07

I can’t offer you an alternative, but I feel for you as sage and onion is the perfect stuffing as far as I’m concerned. Bad luck

Purplepoppies Tue 11-Dec-18 21:34:49

I would suggest cranberry and apple , it goes really well with turkey and ham I think.
I may make my usual sausage meat, sage and onion stuffing too! Lovely! I love it cold too.

Kiwigramz Wed 12-Dec-18 07:56:41

I always make thyme and parsley stuffing.
Fresh breadcrumbs, some grated vegetable diet, diced onion, fresh thyme and parsley. Salt and pepper. Just mix together. Stuff turkey and put remainder in a tin to brown in Oven.

EllanVannin Wed 12-Dec-18 09:02:52

As you get older the digestive system changes and you do find that certain foods don't have the same tolerance as far as the gut is concerned. Of course medication can also play a part too.

My mum used to make parsley and thyme stuffing as well as her own bread sauce. I used to grate the stale bread that had been put to one side.
Sour milk was kept for scones.
You couldn't do either today as brad goes green and " off " milk is rank.

MawBroon Wed 12-Dec-18 09:24:19

No need to worry.
TM and the rest of parliament have ensured the whole country is stuffed
grin

Shizam Wed 12-Dec-18 20:43:02

Interesting ideas here. Have always made Xmas dinner from scratch. Yesterday was in M&S. Have bought the whole thing, stuffing et al. Now feel guilty and may add one of the ideas from here!

moggie57 Thu 13-Dec-18 12:15:48

sweet chestnut stuffing,get chestnuts /boil them /mash em with butter or other spread. and stuff whatever you eating...

moggie57 Thu 13-Dec-18 12:18:58

oh forgot cranberry /and apple .with the chestnuts or without,. flavour maybe a few mint leaves.....i got IBS and like you no savoury or spicy foods.i actually get a box of american "stove top stuffing ",the plain or chicken cornbread stuffing. its yummy....