Gransnet forums

Christmas

Stuffing!

(36 Posts)
ecci53 Sun 09-Dec-18 15:03:07

Now that I'm old and on lots of medication, I find that my digestive system will no longer tolerate onions or leeks. No more sage and onion stuffing with Christmas dinner for me, sadly. Can anyone suggest a tasty, low fat, delicious alternative?

Izabella Sun 09-Dec-18 16:22:36

How about chestnut stuffing?

Witzend Tue 11-Dec-18 09:47:40

How about just good quality sausagemeat with breadcrumbs plenty of sage, salt and pepper and egg to bind? I buy best-quality, low fat sausages for mine, and just squidge the meat out of the skins.

Deed5y Tue 11-Dec-18 10:39:56

We love parsley, lemon and thyme - the base is breadcrumbs.

mabon1 Tue 11-Dec-18 11:02:36

Why don't you look online? Easy Peasy

nipsmum Tue 11-Dec-18 11:04:59

Nigella Lawson has a nice gingerbread on but my favourite is still chestnut as suggested above.

Willow10 Tue 11-Dec-18 11:21:14

Because she wanted to ask gransnetters mabon - what's wrong with you? confused

Nanny27 Tue 11-Dec-18 11:28:38

I make a nice fruity one. Use breadcrumbs and a little vegetable suet as the base. Then chopped dried apricots or cranberries if you prefer. Prunes are good too. I bind mine with egg but that not necessary if you prefer a lighter stuffing.

Urmstongran Tue 11-Dec-18 11:31:44

Mabon1 that was a very clipped response. You do come over, in most posts, as ascerbic. I honestly don’t know what you get from GN in general as your remarks are mostly so cutting.

Nata Tue 11-Dec-18 11:55:02

ecci53, I like the stuffing made of sausage meat, chestnuts (peel, roughly chop), eggs, sauteed mushrooms, breadcrumbs. Some rice is to your taste, I'm a fan of rice.

Willow10 Tue 11-Dec-18 11:59:14

Well said Urmstongran.

DotMH1901 Tue 11-Dec-18 12:09:42

A friend had the same problem and she used to stuff the cavity of the bird with cut lemons and sage and thyme leaves - the meat tasted lovely and she said she didn't miss the stuffing, just had an extra pig in blanket on her plate instead smile

grandtanteJE65 Tue 11-Dec-18 12:11:23

I use prunes and apples. You peel and core and slice cooking apples, two or three for a duck, six to eight for a goose and about twenty prunes. If they are the stoned variety they should be soft enough just to pop in the bird, but if they are very dry, soak them overnight before stuffing the bird.

I make my own forcemeat stuffing using either pork mince or pork and veal minced and mixed, salt, pepper, one or two eggs and a cupful or two of fine breadcrumbs.

You can use a mixture of beef mince and finely minced ham if you prefer. Minced chicken tends to become rather dry, so add a good tablespoon of lard or margarine to it (or cooking oil, if preferred)

Any forcemeat that is not need to stuff the bird, can be baked in a pie dish in the oven for the last half-hour the bird is roasting.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 11-Dec-18 12:12:04

needed not need. Sorry, saw the mistake as I clicked "post message"

B9exchange Tue 11-Dec-18 12:30:49

Simple chestnut stuffing for me. Now that Waitrose sell frozen, peeled, ready to cook chestnuts life is so much easier!
I just cook the chestnuts in chicken stock, put them in the liquidiser till they are smooth, add breadcrumbs and a good knob of butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper. A forkful of chestnut stuffing dipped in cranberry sauce is divine!

123kitty Tue 11-Dec-18 13:59:11

Ecci, I have always cut an onion in half from top to bottom then removed and tossed the bit in the middle that looks like a growing shoot, hopefully you may be able to eat onions again as this could be the part upsetting you.

MiniMoon Tue 11-Dec-18 15:13:13

Here's a good recipe. Just leave out the onion. If you buy good sausage meat I don't think you need it.

1 tsp butter, heaped
1 small onion, diced
1 eating apples
225 g pork sausage meat
100 g fresh white breadcrumbs
1 sprig thyme, leaves removed
1 pinches grated nutmeg
2 tbsp chopped parsley
0.5 lemons, juice.

Jane43 Tue 11-Dec-18 15:20:13

Thank you for the ideas and recipes. Until this year we have always bought M&S pork and chestnut stuffing but they seem to have discontinued it, in our local store anyway. Now I may have a go at making our own.

winterwhite Tue 11-Dec-18 15:22:28

Scarcely anyone liked stuffing in my family cooking days, nor the unappetisingly named pigs in blankets.
I just stuffed the turkey, both ends, with a mixture of halved oranges and lemons. It never tasted over-citrusy. Prunes sound good, never thought of that. And then I just did chippolatas instead of the p in b.

Witzend Tue 11-Dec-18 15:38:30

Goodness, I can't imagine anyone (except veggies) not liking pigs in blankets! (or bacon-wrapped sausages, as we used to call them). I always make loads - best quality sausages cut into 3 and wrapped in half or a 1/3 of a rasher of best streaky. I then spear 2 on a cocktail stick. There are never any left.

Fennel Tue 11-Dec-18 16:36:17

I make stuffing balls (when I can be bothered.)
Mainly breadcrumbs, white or brown.
Then add chopped onion, grated lemon rind, chopped dried apricots, mixed herbs. Chopped apple too sometimes. Bind together with raw egg.
Form into balls and bake alongside the roast in the last hour or less.

Magrithea Tue 11-Dec-18 17:08:58

I do one with sausagemeat, apples, cranberries and onions but it would probably be just as good without the onions

GabriellaG54 Tue 11-Dec-18 17:40:05

They sound very appetizing Fennel
I'll try that recipe as I'm a veggie but I dislike faux meat mixtures.

Marilii Tue 11-Dec-18 17:40:08

If onions are not digestible, yet you want the flavor of them, why not take two or three whole, peeled onions and place them throughout the stuffing so they will leak their flavor into it but you will be able to find them to lift them out when serving and not accidently eat them. Or you could use onion powder in your stuffing instead.

Fennel Tue 11-Dec-18 19:15:57

Gabriella - mine were intended for a meaty roast.
But you could roast them on their own in some veg. oil