Gransnet forums

Christmas

Treating Grandchildren differently

(74 Posts)
Pracatan Tue 11-Dec-18 19:11:09

I have a dilemma and don't know how to deal with it, I have an 84 year old Mother and have just realised that she is completely cuttong off my children and grandchildren when it comes to the sending of cards and gifts and Christmas and birthdays. I was under the assumption that she no longer sent gifts and cards to any other grandchildren owing to our large family and her being a widow, but hav just found out that it is my children (grown up) and grandchildren that she does not send to. We had a falling out some years ago, and she blames this for her not sending cards. She does give me a card and present but I don't want accept these gifts form her. I have told her that she is being cruel by her actions as the children have done no wrong, she always used to buy for them. Its not about the gifts and stuff but the fact that she is deliberately excluding them. I am very hurt and upset by it. My girls say to manage the situation as she is getting on in year , and I have a mind to do that but she hurts me by her actions and I cannot tolerate the blatant actions.

jenpax Wed 12-Dec-18 10:29:00

I understand why you are hurt and angry as it’s on others behalf! I don’t know why she behaves this way, but as others have said your daughters appear to be very sensible and I doubt the children notice.
I would just ignore her behaviour, and to be honest keep contact with her to a minimum if it’s making you upset.

Pracatan Wed 12-Dec-18 10:32:36

Thanks All for your comments it’s given food for thought. There are other issues, too many to go into, but I’ve concluded that it’s only me that is hurting. My Daughters Have no expectations of their Grandmother even though she was a positive influence on them for many years and it is this that angers them. I am fortunate to have raised caring wise children

maddyone Wed 12-Dec-18 11:15:54

I agree with Maryeliza, this behaviour is awful and Rey hurtful. Age is not an excuse for nastiness, unless the elderly person is demented. Many of our Gransnetters are over 80 and write comments and join in discussion just the same as our younger Gransnetters who in some cases are only in their 40s and 50s. This grandmother should pull her socks up and behave properly. No grandparent should discriminate against any of their grandchildren.

maddyone Wed 12-Dec-18 11:16:10

Very hurtful.....

nannypiano Wed 12-Dec-18 11:27:26

I'm only in my 70's and finding present buying too much effort and too expensive.So at 80+ it is far too much to expect gifts. Everyone in my family has too much and have everything they want and need. It's usually too much trouble for them to say thank you and the younger members don't even ask after my health even though I have been very ill of late. So enough is enough from now on. Scrooge or not.

moorlikeit Wed 12-Dec-18 11:29:51

It strikes me (and I may be wrong) that your children and grandchildren would be none the wiser if you hadn't told them that they were being unfairly treated. I would have kept quiet so they weren't upset. Then I would have let it go.

inishowen Wed 12-Dec-18 11:33:13

I'm sure the grandchildren couldn't care less. I'm more concerned that you won't accept the card and gift she buys for you. Sounds like you are keeping the bad feeling going.

maddyone Wed 12-Dec-18 11:35:25

Some 80+ people can’t go shopping, my mother is 91 and can’t do Christmas shopping so she gives her grandchildren and great grandchildren money. Not a lot, but gives the gift never the less. My PiL also give money, they are both 91 too.

maddyone Wed 12-Dec-18 11:37:19

The problem here is that the OP feels hurt. It’s hardly surprising, her mother gives gifts/money to some of her grandchildren but not to others. This is not about the OP, it is about an old lady who is behaving in an unkind and bitter way. X

NemosMum Wed 12-Dec-18 11:38:18

Pracatan you are fighting old battles and making yourself miserable. Just shrug your shoulders and let it go!

Sussexborn Wed 12-Dec-18 12:00:18

My stepmother used to tell me they were spending £5 on all of the grandchildren then straight after started telling me she had ordered a fisher price dolls house with added extras for her own granddaughter! We would never have known if she hadn’t told us! I didn’t react as she was extremely manipulative and that was what she wanted but it did make me sad at the time. Just don’t understand why people go out of their way to try and hurt others.

GabriellaG54 Wed 12-Dec-18 12:19:25

It's ONE day out of 365 and frankly, I can't see that working yourself into a snit is going to change things.
Are the presents things that your other relations get, really what they want and love to receive? Personally, I used to hate getting a box of embroidered hankies or a brush and comb set.
Is it worth getting into a stew? Health-wise, no. Enjoy her for who she is as it's far too late to try changing her now.

maddyone Wed 12-Dec-18 12:30:04

You’re right Gabriella, but at the same time OP is hurt. She’s talking about the hurt, not the gifts.

GabriellaG54 Wed 12-Dec-18 12:58:25

Margarita? Play your keyboard and give us a song. grin

GabriellaG54 Wed 12-Dec-18 13:02:03

maddyone
I understand the hurt feelings but we aren't in control of what others choose to do. You can either let it affect you or forget it. Like picking a sore. It will never heal and in the end you scar yourself.

MissAdventure Wed 12-Dec-18 13:05:27

Being hurt doesn't always equate with having to do something about it.
We've all been hurt at different times for just reasons, but well..

lesley4357 Wed 12-Dec-18 13:06:25

My SilL does this with my daughter and grandkids. She buys birthday and Christmas presents for other niece / nephew and their kids, but if mine get anything at all it's invariably late. My daughter used to get very hurt but now dismisses her and her pettiness

Buffybee Wed 12-Dec-18 13:36:00

I can understand you bring upset by this but I would ignore it now Pracatan.
Who know, why your Mother is being so unfair to your children and grandchildren, when the argument was with you.
I buy for my children and grandchildren only, no nieces or nephews but I am scrupulously fair with it.
They all get money for birthdays including my son's Stepdaughter
and presents for Christmas.
Even though I very rarely see the GStepdaughter, she is treated exactly the same, to do any different would upset my lovely Dil.

Bekind Wed 12-Dec-18 13:40:18

Have you asked your mother why she stopped sending cards and gifts? Maybe she has an understandable reason?

EthelJ Wed 12-Dec-18 14:42:45

I think I would be hurt too . But best to just ignore it. From what you have said she may be trying to hurt you if so don't let her , just enjoy your lovely children and grandchildren.

Pracatan Wed 12-Dec-18 15:03:22

nanny piano thank you for your response, I have to say that coming onto Gransnet to air concerns has been a great help to me. My children, grandchildren or me don't want gifts, and I understand the effort that goes into to it, I am a grandmother to 15. My expectation is to not discriminate and give cards and gifts to one without the other. It is not about the giving of anything, but the equal treatment of all children which is lacking in my family.

Pracatan Wed 12-Dec-18 15:07:50

Yes she used to buy gifts and send cards and she does have a relationship with them, they ask why she has stopped. But you are right, I have not mentioned anything to them for this year and I wont cause they don't have to know that. I have gone through my whole life with parents who play one off against another and I now realise that this is what has to stop. I have taken the good advice given here and trying to rise above her actions. The fact that she is spending Christmas day with me and my family is testimony to my lack of animosity towards her.

willa45 Wed 12-Dec-18 15:11:28

Being 84 is no excuse for bad behavior unless there is a mental defect due to Alzheimer or some other type of dementia. She does seem to remember the falling out years earlier which shows her memory hasn't failed.....yet.

If she's punishing her innocent grandchildren over it, who had nothing to do, best approach is to keep protecting them so they don't realize they're being 'shunned'.

Sometimes early onset of dementia changes personality. Whatever happened in the past, it affected you both and she's still hurting . Maybe there's still time to mend...A mother always loves her children and she obviously still loves you, otherwise why all the fuss?

Pracatan Wed 12-Dec-18 15:16:07

Yes this is exactly the problem. My Mother told me what she was buying for my Sisters' children and grandchildren for Christmas, thinking that I would not say anything and that type of behaviour was OK hence me being so hurt by it, its like she rubbing my nose in the fact that she is excluding all of my Family and therefore having a direct impact on me.

Pracatan Wed 12-Dec-18 15:16:57

Do you know what, I might take up the keyboard so I can really be by namesake