Gransnet forums

Christmas

Marks & Sparks Christmas Cards

(88 Posts)
Lyndiloo Mon 17-Dec-18 02:57:01

I bought a packet of M & S Christmas cards last week. I was in a bit of a rush, and they were pretty, so I put them in my basket. It wasn't until I began writing in them that I suddenly noticed that nowhere on the card was the word 'Christmas'!

On the front of the card it says, 'Winter wishes', and on the inside, 'Enjoy the festive season'.

What's going on???

Okay, if you're not a Christian, these cards may be right up your street. But if you're not a Christian, why send a card at all?

I'm furious! (Not least because I'm now having to write inside every card, 'Happy Christmas!')

And, while I'm ranting, please, please everybody - stop putting an 'X' where 'Christ' should be! If you really do have to shorten 'Christmas' (lack of time? can't be bothered? disrespect?) how about 'C'mas'? But definitely NOT X!

Juliet27 Mon 17-Dec-18 11:34:01

Readymeals....thanks so much for that comment - really made me laugh.

Peardrop50 Mon 17-Dec-18 11:44:06

I’m happy to send and receive any greeting on a card that is positive and happy. My pet hate is an e-card. Lazy and thoughtless to my mind. I’m sure the eco warriors will tell me it saves on paper and travel but where is the joy?

EthelJ Mon 17-Dec-18 11:47:34

The cards I got from M&S say Christmas in them. However some people who are not Christians or celebrate Christmas. Christian festival still like to send cards and enjoy a festival at this time of year, after all we have had a winter festival at this time of year before the birth of Jesus. I think you were just unlucky in that cards you chose.

123coco Mon 17-Dec-18 11:51:37

What a very silly thing to be ‘furious ‘about!!

123coco Mon 17-Dec-18 11:54:46

Carrying on from previous post. I am furious about our support what is happening in Yemen Now that is something I would use the word ‘furious!’ About and not Christmas cards goodness sake ! If this makes you FURIOUS you must live a very charmed life!

Jaycee5 Mon 17-Dec-18 11:55:45

My Muslim neighbour has gone away for Christmas and handed me a present and a Christmas card before they left. Their grandchildren like Christmas. They don't make a big deal of Christmas but do enjoy it. It is a public holiday in Sri Lanka (where they are from) although only 7% of the Country are Christian.

123coco Mon 17-Dec-18 11:56:29

Now I’ve just re read your post and see you are affronted by Xmas. I suspect you are someone who gets up every day and are going to be offended at something or nothing,

mabon1 Mon 17-Dec-18 11:57:04

Is it so difficult to actually write "Merry Christmas"?

Anja Mon 17-Dec-18 12:06:06

Personally I’m sick to death of those who suggest that because of political correctness the word Christmas is banned.

That’s a total load of tosh put about but the far right extremists. The word Christmas has never been banned. Any school can do a nativity play if they wish.

I live in a multiracial part of the UK. We have Happy Christmas lights strung across out High Street. These replaced Happy Duvali lights earlier and Happg Eid during the summer (though due to light nights they didn’t get switched on until very late!) . Did I miss the Happy ? i wonder?

Get over it!

oldbatty Mon 17-Dec-18 12:07:25

123coco you are brave.

ReadyMeals Mon 17-Dec-18 12:09:28

Anja, at least Eid moves so eventually it will get a turn in winter smile

BlueBelle Mon 17-Dec-18 12:09:34

Well done Anja getson my tits too

Lupatria Mon 17-Dec-18 12:11:01

i like glittery cards and will continue to buy them if i see them.
of course the words merry or happy christmas have to appear somewhere.

Shortlegs Mon 17-Dec-18 12:14:23

"Furious" "ranting" - suspect you might need to get out a bit more?

Anja Mon 17-Dec-18 12:14:38

Readymeals indeed! I do so feel for all those fasting during daylight hours in the summer months.

BB well said

Lupatria glitter is an environmental disaster

MawBroon Mon 17-Dec-18 12:22:29

OK while we are on the subject , why do I only find the packets of leftover cards from last year/the year before /the year before that and so ad infinitum after I have bought enough for this year (plus a few “spare”)?

Orelse Mon 17-Dec-18 12:25:21

Readymeals ... what a great way of staying slim over Christmas...stuff with goodies then eat Brussels sprouts ! Now there's an idea
???

Skweek1 Mon 17-Dec-18 14:04:22

As a Wiccan, I don't care what cards say. It's the thought that count. If you are a Christian, you can always buy a small box of cards with the Christian message for those who share your faith. I can't afford to pay much, and although I've tried doing the crafty bit, they always look really home made and unprofessional. I send cards to family, friends and some neighbours around Yuletide and whatever their faith, they seem to appreciate the thought.

Nonnatimesfour Mon 17-Dec-18 14:10:02

I totally agree with you Lyndiloo. Christmas is Christmas and cards should say something about Christmas. Here's wishing you a Merry Christmas Lyndiloo.

muffinthemoo Mon 17-Dec-18 14:18:43

Just in passing, for those who have mentioned wanting 'alternative' messages in cards:

Etsy UK or Folksy have a really wide range of stuff, mostly handmade, and always a great source for something a little different

grandtanteJE65 Mon 17-Dec-18 15:57:54

IMO we can wish each other Happy Christmas and leave it to each person to read what they want into the greeting.

I only send cards with nativity scenes on them to those who I know share my religious convictions. After all there are plenty of cards with Santa, snow scenes or Christmas trees around.

Madgran77 Mon 17-Dec-18 15:58:18

It doesn't really seem worth expending energy on being furious about this really! But trouble is when we are busy etc it is easy to get very wound up about something; |I do it myself.

Noit sure people think about cards being for Christians to send these days ...or about Christmas being a Christian festival, either!

NannyC2 Mon 17-Dec-18 16:09:08

I would not be happy either, Lindiloo. We know what the problem is without spelling it out.
I like 'Happy Christmas' on cards and quite often I write 'Wishing you all the Blessings of Christmas.'

Charity cards or those to the Church In Need are probably the best ones to get.
Even Prince Charles is now speaking out for the persecuted christians in the Middle East.

I do wish more people would read what is going on in many countries.........for example....

During one of 8 raids on Christian villages on August 28 in Nigeria, herdsmen burned alive a Christian pastor, his wife, and 3 young children in their home. Armed with machetes and AK47 rifles, the raiders also looted and destroyed 95 houses and three churches. Gyang Adamu, one of the pastor's surviving children who was away at the University of Jos at the time, got to know about the attack when he saw a post on Facebook that his village was under attack. When he finally got home, he saw his Dad and younger ones burnt beyond recognition.

Not a Happy Christmas for many people under many different circumstances.

Esspee Mon 17-Dec-18 16:19:36

Solstice celebrations have existed for far, far longer than Christianity. Everyone has their own beliefs and I am happy to embrace all celebrations.

Anja Mon 17-Dec-18 16:29:22

NannyC2 do only persecuted Christians matter? I’m sure you include all those persecuted for their faith, their culture, their sex, their class or whatever, in your thoughts and prayers.