Gransnet forums

Christmas

Socks for Christmas

(42 Posts)
Kateykrunch Tue 18-Dec-18 14:44:51

I passed by Santas Grotto recently and a little boy, when asked what he was hoping for for Christmas replied ‘SOCKS’, I am just off to email my ungrateful son and tell him this tale, made me chuckle and there was roaring laughter from inside the Grotto lol.

NannyC2 Wed 19-Dec-18 14:49:15

Maybe he was thinking of socks stuffed with presents?

tavimama Wed 19-Dec-18 15:10:26

My twins, when they were about 6 years old, asked for sellotape, tippex and blue tack. They are now 14, and still hope to get some of each in their stockings ?

annodomini Wed 19-Dec-18 15:15:27

Believe it or not, odd socks are trendy among the young. I understand that 16-year-old GD has been wearing them for some time and her mum gave me the link to packs of these so that I could get her some for Christmas. Mind you, all you need to do to get odd socks is to open my sock drawer. tchgrin

sluttygran Wed 19-Dec-18 15:21:23

My SiL loves socks. He declares that when he becomes wealthy, he will have a new pair every single day!?
No prizes for guessing what is in his Christmas box!

VIOLETTE Wed 19-Dec-18 15:26:28

HA HA ...with you on that one annodomini ...I now have a pile of odd socks waiting for their other halves to turn up ....if that ever happens ! now I always buy coloured and patterned socks (mostly with cats on !) so they are (if I find two) easy to pair up ! Have to also wonder, clearing my late brother's house earlier this year if he was preparing for Christmas, or had all of them as gifts but there were THREE drawers full of unworn, still coupled together with those awful staples or cotton and price tags......it was a sad job to do, but we did laugh ...wish he were still here so I could ask him what ALL these socks were for .,,,,perhaps he couldn;t resist them in the shops ! grin

GabriellaG54 Wed 19-Dec-18 17:06:01

I was behind a lady at the returns/ collection counter in M&S today, who was ordering a 3pk of men's socks in a larger size than the pack she showed to the assistant. When told they were out of stock, her face was a picture. 'Are you sure?' she asked and looked really panicky.
Over socks??
They were nothing special. (eye roll)

catwoman Wed 19-Dec-18 17:54:58

I bought bamboo pants a couple of years ago. I love them. Really comfortable & feel lovely on.

1974cookie Wed 19-Dec-18 18:36:53

Our beloved Cats always 'buy' my Partner Socks at Christmas, to keep his 'Paws' warm. As they struggle with the paper and sellotape, naturally I have to wrap them up.
He absolutely loves receiving them, and Christmas would not be Christmas without their gift of socks. tchsmile tchsmile.

grannyactivist Wed 19-Dec-18 18:59:25

Ever thought of buying your child/grandchildren a banana for Christmas? www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzry8ATXvX0

Lilyflower Wed 19-Dec-18 19:05:33

All the chaps in my life are getting socks as 'little extras' for Christmas. My DS wouldn't have any if I didn't buy them and he is 29.

Lilyflower Wed 19-Dec-18 19:06:38

"All the chaps in my life are getting socks as 'little extras' for Christmas. My DS wouldn't have any if I didn't buy them and he is 29."

Suffice to say that his DS is utterly disgusted with her DB and his lack of sock buying experience.

roo163 Wed 19-Dec-18 19:42:54

As a small child in the 1950s I always "bought" a stick of shaving soap for my dad. When I was old enough and had pocket money I went and bought him something else. He was devastated at not getting shaving soap as he always ran out at Christmas and had to use something else or be stubbly. grin

moggie57 Wed 19-Dec-18 20:56:29

well i asked my grandchildren what they wanted for christmas and gs said i know what mummy wants .yes says me. gs she wants daddy back for christmas. took me a few minutes to compose myself ,and said yes we would all like that ,but daddy was very ill and god took him to heaven so he wouldnt be in anymore pain. he didnt want to leave you all. although you cant see daddy anymore he lives in your heart. gs daddy died last sept of heart related /multi organ failure....this year and last year we all been very emotional at certain moments. d getting grief counselling and children too. anyway socks are always handy for wearing in bed when your toes are cold.

chrissyh Wed 19-Dec-18 22:56:24

When my DGS was about 3 we took him to see Father Christmas who asked what he wanted for Christmas and my DGS replied spaghetti bolognese. Santa's little elves nearly wet themselves.

Flowerofthewest Wed 19-Dec-18 23:11:24

All my 5 yr old DGD wants is earmuffs

Legs55 Wed 19-Dec-18 23:30:38

When I had to do MiL's Christmas present shopping the men all got M&S socks, my DD too as she used to love getting socks throughout her teens. We ladies always had some M&S smellies. Socks are a great Christmas gift, I rarely wear them but DD bought me a lovely pair a couple of years ago which I wear for Pilates don't want to inflict my horrible feet on the other ladies . My feet are always hot even in the coldest weatherthlconfused.