Gransnet forums

Christmas

So, before we all forget, share your Christmas tips ready for next year!

(57 Posts)
phoenix Wed 26-Dec-18 13:16:51

Happy Boxmas to all!

May I recommend, especially for those who (like us) don't have a dishwasher, buying a few tin foil trays?

Mr P and I used them for the turkey, roast potatoes, parsnips, extra stuffing and pigs in blankets. Much reduced the amount of washing up, and they can all go into the recycling.

And for those with littlies, from past experience when my own were small:

Have 2 identical pillow cases/sacks/stockings, one for them to leave on the end of the bed, the other ready filled in the wardrobe.

If you want to avoid the risk of them waking up at silly o'clock, and being tired and ratty by mid morning, set your alarm for 6am ( or 5, if you can face it!) and do the big switch then.

This gives you time for a cup of tea in peace, and be fully awake to enjoy watching them open their presents.

(I appreciate that everyone does things differently, we had presents from FC at the end of the bed, presents from family under the tree.)

Purpledaffodil Fri 28-Dec-18 21:15:53

Buy a wrapping paper box from Hobbycraft or wherever. I keep birthday wrap on top and rolls of Christmas stuff at the bottom, At this time of year I top up Christmas wrapping in the sales and add the half price Christmas cards I will buy too. And I know where to find them next year?

Nandalot Fri 28-Dec-18 23:18:48

Purpledaffodil, that’s what I have done this year, but got a long under bed storage box for the purpose. It holds even the longest rolls of wrapping paper. I bought it quite cheaply at one of the discount stores.

gmelon Sat 29-Dec-18 08:52:09

I needed to tame the rolls of wrapping paper lurking in one of my wardrobes. Googled and loads of ideas. and I have done precisely none of them
Wrapping paper can be stored in a garment bag which then hangs up.

Other ideas are a back of the door shoe holder with the plastic pockets. Slice through the bottom of the upper pockets and slot rolls in vertically.

Or use the plastic dispensers for used carrier bags. Screwed to the back of a cupboard can fit lots of rolls in.

Purpledaffodil Sat 29-Dec-18 09:27:10

Sounds similar to mine Nandalot. It lives under the bed and the lid keeps out the dust bunnies, which of course don’t exist because I am such a Domestic Goddess?

gmelon Sat 29-Dec-18 09:29:47

My first is a vow not a tip. I shall not be pleased with a purchase of M&S chocolate Yule log and still be trying to find it now.
Tips.
Earlier this year I bought a convection/grill/micro wave oven. It came in very useful when dinner was being cooked. Extra oven space.
I've decided that doing it all at the last minute is no longer exciting. I'm starting on the second of January.
I'm making a list of what was actually eaten and used. Make a note of nibbles that went down well.
I'll avoid being knee deep in mince pies and chocolates.
Over the coming year I will buy non perishable food and some nice gifts.
I will buy there and then if I see the ideal little gift and not "get it nearer the big day". Which translates as "never".

I'm sure that my tips are teaching Gransnetters to suck eggs. I'm learning organisation late in life.
smile

Pittcity Sat 29-Dec-18 09:35:45

I've already got my half price cards and have put them and the reused several times gift bags in the bedroom cupboard.