Gransnet forums

Christmas

So, before we all forget, share your Christmas tips ready for next year!

(56 Posts)
phoenix Wed 26-Dec-18 13:16:51

Happy Boxmas to all!

May I recommend, especially for those who (like us) don't have a dishwasher, buying a few tin foil trays?

Mr P and I used them for the turkey, roast potatoes, parsnips, extra stuffing and pigs in blankets. Much reduced the amount of washing up, and they can all go into the recycling.

And for those with littlies, from past experience when my own were small:

Have 2 identical pillow cases/sacks/stockings, one for them to leave on the end of the bed, the other ready filled in the wardrobe.

If you want to avoid the risk of them waking up at silly o'clock, and being tired and ratty by mid morning, set your alarm for 6am ( or 5, if you can face it!) and do the big switch then.

This gives you time for a cup of tea in peace, and be fully awake to enjoy watching them open their presents.

(I appreciate that everyone does things differently, we had presents from FC at the end of the bed, presents from family under the tree.)

kittylester Wed 26-Dec-18 13:38:52

I use foil dishes too phoenix even though we have a dishwasher otherwise the kitchen has relays of dirty pots that never get washed before you add to them.. I find it useful to use them inside proper roasting tins to keep them more stable.

Elegran Wed 26-Dec-18 13:52:38

If yu are going to family for Christmas dinner, and promised to bring items with you, put them behind the front door ready to lift, then you won't get there and realise that the box of crackers is still in the wardrobe.

ninathenana Wed 26-Dec-18 14:11:52

The family will shortly be arriving for buffet meal, I have foil trays for the cold cuts sausage roll etc. and paper plates to eat off.
Elegran great minds. Anything that needs taking with us is always left by the front door at any time of year.

BBbevan Wed 26-Dec-18 14:12:48

Start tomorrow ????????

Cherrytree59 Wed 26-Dec-18 14:21:38

I wrap grandchildrens presents in different coloured wrapping paper (This year one red and t'other blue).
Instantly recognisable to each child (especially helpful with toddlers) and parents.

My DD colour codes her wrapping paper.

This year we also gave our 2 grandsons a couple of board games which I had wrapped one half in red and the other in blue xmas paper, to hopeful reinforce the idea that the games for sharing. ?

phoenix Wed 26-Dec-18 14:22:27

The foil trays are brill! We are thinking of getting a few in for the ordinary Sunday roasts, as the washing up can be quite daunting. (Probably my fault, I do like to do a good variety of veg tchblush )

I agree, kitty, they do need to be within and supported by "proper" oven trays.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 26-Dec-18 14:30:26

Foil trays are a must in the "Gravy" household, at every family gathering involving the oven.

Family get togethers are far too precious to waste time washing up!!!

phoenix Wed 26-Dec-18 14:37:16

Agree wholeheartedly, GrannyGravy !(Although not just for family get togethers..........)

Cherrytree59 Wed 26-Dec-18 14:44:46

Phoenix Thank you and a very Happy Boxmas to youtchsmile

Agree everything lined up in the hall.

This year, I also stuck left over Christmas labels to every item in the fridge that needed to be transported by cool bags to our DD's house.

Dh insists on packing the coolbags and loading the car his way .
So it did mean that at silly 'o' clock Christmas morning we arrived without the dreaded forgotten item as you say Elegran left in the wardrobe or lurking at the back of the fridgetchshock.

cornergran Wed 26-Dec-18 14:53:55

Foil trays are in use all year round here, makes clearing up oh so easy, even with a dishwasher. We have all sizes, sadly it didn’t occur to me to take any with us to yesterday’s chef - we were washing up tchsad.

Niobe Wed 26-Dec-18 15:05:18

Ditto the foil trays and leaving essential items near front door.
If I am having people round I have a notebook where I note how many people I was catering for and how much of each dish I made along with a note of whether it was too little or too much or if something was liked or not. My notebook still includes information about my children's birthday party food and past Christmas dinners. I aim to have a little food left over but not too much.

phoenix Wed 26-Dec-18 15:18:28

Lots of votes for the foil dishes, thank goodness, I worried that some may think I was a money wasting, lazy bissom!

No one, however seems to like my sack switch tip!

Smiley4 Wed 26-Dec-18 15:34:09

Eat at a restaurant. No fuss, and no washing up
I spent too long and got too stressed this year trying to give my difficult family, what they wanted. Eg they all wanted different starters, different deserts, even different meats.
So next year I e decided I’m either going away, or going to a restaurant! ?

Auntieflo Wed 26-Dec-18 15:39:45

Ah Smiley4. If you are hosting and catering, they should be jolly glad they are being spoiled and looked after. Ungrateful lot.

Cherrytree59 Wed 26-Dec-18 15:45:49

Phoenix its an Eggcellent idea tchgrin
We have a similar stocking thingy.
We cant actualy switch stockings as DGS have personal stockings
however as I enjoy the traditional christmas stocking 'business',
I make up two bags of identical stocking goodies, all my daughter has to do is to put a bag into each of the xmas stocking without peeking as she enjoys watching the boys open their stockings on Christmas morning.

Riverwalk Wed 26-Dec-18 15:51:54

I love 'Boxmas' tchsmile

My tip - potatoes, parsnips & carrots parboiled then roasted together in one roasting tin. Parsnips & carrots were topped and tailed but not peeled. All roasted perfectly - carrots much nicer this way. For some unknown reason I used to do parrots separately. Sprouts just steamed.

Cooking for only four so easily do-able.

Menopaws Wed 26-Dec-18 15:54:45

Parrots? Caribbean twist??

phoenix Wed 26-Dec-18 15:57:29

Boxmas is something we have used for years, seems to add something to the day!

Riverwalk Wed 26-Dec-18 16:02:13

tchgrin must have been the parsnips, peeled, parboiled and potatoes that produced the parrots!

phoenix Wed 26-Dec-18 16:06:06

Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without a topped and tailed roasted parrot!

kittylester Wed 26-Dec-18 16:12:07

I use the 'leaving things by the door' trick but is somebody's law says that that tidiest person one knows will turn up and be horrified at the state of the hall.

Juliette Wed 26-Dec-18 16:19:33

If you are cooking ham/gammon in the slow cooker for dinner, make sure your DH doesn’t switch it off after half an hour.
I didn’t notice for hours, it produced the first cross words of Christmas.??

phoenix Wed 26-Dec-18 16:23:37

I think that next year I will buy some mince pies, and some of that extra thick brandy cream, and maybe even a small sad person Christmas pudding, because the "holier than thou, and that's a few less calories" feeling does NOT compensate for the lack of such yummy things! (Mr P eats neither)

Bad Phoenix, this was supposed to be a thread of sensible tips!

Elegran Wed 26-Dec-18 16:25:07

Having a small treat stored away is a sensible tip.