Gransnet forums

Christmas

Minor kitchen disasters yesterday, anyone?

(31 Posts)
Witzend Wed 26-Dec-18 13:45:58

While taking them out of the oven, I managed to drop a whole, sizzling hot tray of pigs in blankets all over the floor. I hadn't even had much Buck's Fizz, either.
Luckily the kitchen floor was (reasonably) clean, so a dd and I just retrieved them. It was no use pretending it hadn't happened, since my very loud expletive echoed all round the next door dining room, but luckily I have a very non-fussy family.
Anyone else?

Grammaretto Thu 27-Dec-18 17:19:13

Indeed Dolally !!
The mention of crackers reminded me. DD asked what to bring. I said crackers. Nearer the time ie in Tesco en route, she asked do you still need crackers?
I said well there are a couple of stray ones in the attic from previous years. Only then did she realise I meant Christmas crackers not Jacob's cream.
tchsmile

Menopaws Thu 27-Dec-18 17:30:04

A month before Christmas I did a big roast for my son's 30th. As husband carving beautiful leg of lamb I started to get veg out and he said where are the roast potatoes, completely forgot them until that minute, never done it before! Quickly peeled and boiled in tiny pieces two large spuds and mashed them just in time. Thought whole meal looked a bit anemic with onion sauce and cauliflower cheese on table only to realise I had forgotten the peas (which husband had gone our especially for earlier), speed boiled them and just made it work but honestly I couldn't believe my mistakes after cooking roasts for years. There was a hangover involved, that's my excuse!!

Menopaws Thu 27-Dec-18 17:32:55

We have another Christmas on Tuesday for my sons and grandchildren so hope to get it right then but my usual mistake at Christmas was leaving the sliced beautiful ham in the microwave. Oh well!

lemongrove Thu 27-Dec-18 21:37:31

I think we have all left things in the microwave for some meals.
It’s when we are doing a lot of veg, one is bound to get left out, but not the roast spuds!! I knew there would be drink involved Meno tut tut.

goose1964 Fri 28-Dec-18 10:11:49

on christmas eve I made a stollen according to the hairy bikers' recipe, however it more than trebled in size and took well over an hour to cook, when I took it out I managed to get molten marzipan stuck to my finger. Ended up with a second degree burn