Gransnet forums

Christmas

Unwanted present

(62 Posts)
Madgran77 Wed 26-Dec-18 17:28:19

If you were given a present that you didn't want would you send it back to the giver? That has happened to me, informing me that the person doesn't like it. Wondering what others think ...I'm feeling a bit taken aback, as I genuinely thought the item would be a treat for the person I gave it to.

jeanie99 Sat 29-Dec-18 16:39:58

That is so rude, I can't believe anyone would do that.

We don't buy gifts for anyone outside the family and usually have a Christmas list so pick from that.
I always leave a receipt for clothing with the gift just in case it doesn't fit and needs returning for any other reason.

NanaandGrampy Sat 29-Dec-18 17:22:53

I have never been given a gift I didn’t want because they are given with love and you can’t have too much of that !

notanan2 Sat 29-Dec-18 17:26:04

I have never been given a gift I didn’t want because they are given with love and you can’t have too much of that !

I have never been given a gift I didnt appreciate
But I have been given gifts I couldnt "use"
And its wasteful IMO to not use things so I find somewhere where it will be useful to pass it to if I cant make use of them

NanaandGrampy Sat 29-Dec-18 20:28:00

I don’t have a problem regifting either notanan, often makes sense.

Deedaa Sat 29-Dec-18 20:45:53

I think this is the height of rudeness. I've got one or two presents friends have given me that aren't my choice, buy it would never occur to me to hand them back. Some things can be passed on to other people, others I keep because it's nice to think that they wanted to give me something.

Beau Sat 29-Dec-18 21:25:53

My SIL is the worst for putting anything anyone buys for him in a drawer and it never sees the light of day again. I think it's rude as these are nice things which he could use (an expensive bathrobe from DD, a leather toiletries bag from me because he was using a 'free gift' one etc.) Now I don't buy him anything and I told him why - he doesn't mind and understands why we don't bother now.

EthelJ Sun 30-Dec-18 15:53:46

I would never dream of giving someone back a gift they have given me. And Grandma KT I think that is terrible. Your poor father. If someone has gone to the trouble and expense of buying, wrapping and giving a gift the least the recipient can do is accept it with grace.
I am always grateful for whatever I am given,it's just lovely to be thought of.

tinaf1 Sun 30-Dec-18 16:55:19

Agree it is really bad manners and very hurtful, OK so it might not be to your taste or you may not use but just say thanks and when appropriate either regift it or take it to charity shop,
Had to smile one year when my son showed me a gift from his aunt my sister in law turned out to be the vase we had bought her the year before ( at least it was kept in the family?)
I would be very upset if that happened to my dad Grandma KT

BlueSapphire Sun 30-Dec-18 22:50:45

Oh my goodness, I had to tell DH once that I didn't really like a present and it was so difficult. He bought me some ear-rings that looked like little battle-axes/hatchets, and were just not to my taste. Thank goodness he didn't take offence and we went to the shop and changed them for some little stud ear-rings. Mind you, he always used to preface each present giving with "if you don't like them you can change them". Bless him. I miss him.

SueDoku Mon 31-Dec-18 12:25:50

When I first met my now DIL, I was horrified when she did this - then we got to know her (lovely) family better, and found out that because there were six children, and their DF was, sadly, killed when they were young, their custom had been to put together and buy one really nice present for each person. If this didn't fit/wasn't to their taste, they would change it. As they grew up and all started work, the presents obviously became more numerous - but the custom of only accepting exactly what you liked/wanted remained...
It explained such a lot - and I now run everything past DS before buying, and accept anything returned with a smile (donate to charity shop and don't feel compelled to replace the gift). DIL is loved & appreciated very much smile

mcem Mon 31-Dec-18 13:02:08

Depends on the family dynamic I think.
Whenever I buy for DDs or GC I ask them to let me know if it's unsuitable as I'd rather exchange it for something they like. Better that than a show of politeness and the gift lurking in a drawer until they dispose of it.
It works with us but I'd never do it outwith the close family circle!

boodymum67 Sat 09-Nov-19 13:56:55

I think that person is very rude and ungrateful. Next year...don't bother!

Tangerine Sat 09-Nov-19 14:00:12

Your friend was rude.

I usually give a gift receipt with presents I send so the recipient can quietly exchange them if they wish to do this.

I have occasionally given things I can't use to charity or re-gifted them if I think somebody else might like them but I usually like what people buy me.

Callistemon Sat 09-Nov-19 14:36:11

Shh, don't tell, but Mr P bought me a smart phone, I have managed without one for about 2 years, and could have managed without one for longer
I must say that it depends who it is, Urmstongran as Mr C did the same as Mr Phoenix and I wanted to choose my own phone.
I wouldn't do it to anyone else though (and he's not letting me forget it either!).

grandtanteJE65 Sun 10-Nov-19 14:46:42

How shockingly rude! If anyone, except DH, did that to me, I would just cross them off my Christmas shopping list.

I make an exception of my better half because I like giving him presents. Once or twice, when I wasn't sure it was what he would like, I told him before he opened the present that I was a bit doubtful about it, and that it could be exchanged and that I would not be hurt if he did.

Like most wives, I have had quite a few presents from DH that weren't exactly what I wanted, or felt I needed, but I have always tried to hide that from him, as I really do appreciate him going to the trouble to buy me presents.

Other presents that we receive and don't feel we want or like, we either exchange in the shop where they were bought, or give to charity.

Having seen my mother's embarrassment when something she re-gifted was opened in the presence of the person who had given her it (ouch!), I have never practised that form of economy myself.

Oopsminty Sun 10-Nov-19 14:51:29

I'd probably cry if someone gave me back a gift that they didn't like

Sara65 Sun 10-Nov-19 14:56:44

Beyond belief! I can’t believe anyone would do such a thing!

Where is the harm in writing a nice Thankyou note, and popping it down to the charity shop.

What an awful person.

Cherrytree59 Sun 10-Nov-19 15:57:53

Heads up, this thread is almost a year old (2018)smile

Sara65 Sun 10-Nov-19 16:04:06

Oh yes!

Callistemon Sun 10-Nov-19 20:29:27

Thanks Cherrytree
grin

Humbertbear Sun 10-Nov-19 22:01:04

I wouldn’t dream of giving a present back. I always thank the giver no matter how awful the gift maybe. The i kettle we were given for last Xmas is stored on a high shelf in the kitchen and the disgusting glass plate in green and orange (2ft across) was used once when the giver came for dinner and then went to the charity shop. Fortunately, they don’t visit our charity shops.

Apricity Mon 11-Nov-19 00:32:19

Perhaps the thread automatically restarts itself each year just prior to Christmas. ??

noreen319 Fri 15-Nov-19 14:51:07

You could never be rude to a family member about a Christmas present. You may have not wanted that present, however you should be grateful they spent their hard-earned money on a present for you.

pinkquartz Fri 15-Nov-19 14:56:42

I have a friend who kept giving me scented candles for presents. I can't burn them.....sets off severe Asthma.
In the end I had to tell her. I couldn't pretend any longer.
She was ok about it.
Now she gives me lovely choc or books. much more to my taste.

SparklyGrandma Fri 15-Nov-19 15:02:03

Never! I have however had to learn to take negative feedback about presents as a family member is Aspie. They wouldn’t give me a present back, but would be blunt and say ‘I don’t like that brand of chocolates, we prefer......’.

If I am given a present I wouldn’t have chosen myself and it’s given with love, I will display or use it anyway.