Gransnet forums

Christmas

Boycott Xmas crackers plastic crap

(46 Posts)
Alexa Wed 02-Oct-19 11:04:12

154,000 rubbish objects will end up in the ocean or landfill.

lemongrove Wed 02-Oct-19 11:57:47

You can, if you like Alexa ....but I will be buying Christmas crackers as usual.Plastic tat...not so much.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 02-Oct-19 12:34:13

It is possible to buy decent Christmas crackers which are not filled with "plastic tat" which is what I shall do.

Oopsminty Wed 02-Oct-19 12:35:53

I was thinking that, GG13.

I've seen this cracker message on FB .

I shall be having crackers.

fizzers Wed 02-Oct-19 12:42:01

oh I'll be buying crackers, but not the ones containing plastic junk

vena11 Wed 02-Oct-19 13:19:42

Cant do without crackers, I will try my best to get plastic free if there is such a thing .

SueDonim Wed 02-Oct-19 13:25:27

We love crackers. I'm not forgoing them.

bonji Wed 02-Oct-19 13:28:02

Make your own! My daughters are now 42 and 45 and since we saw it on Blue Peter many years ago as a family, and now both daughters, have always made them. Presents can be more individual to the person, a name can be put on the cracker so it can be used as a place setting and materials for the actual crackers are up to you but can easily be previously used materials. Cracker snaps easily purchased on the internet and children really enjoy making them perhaps choosing a special present for mummy or daddy.

grapefruitpip Wed 02-Oct-19 13:30:08

Never had them, never will. Go on, have a massive go at me.

Oh never did Halloween, never did party bags.

MawB Wed 02-Oct-19 13:32:45

Paw did our own one year, buying actual presents instead of tat - gold or pearl earrings for the DDs, silk boxers for BIL, silk scarves for SsIL, book tokens for visiting aunts - never again, almost entirely unappreciated sad

HildaW Wed 02-Oct-19 14:51:52

I'd be loathe to go without crackers - some are available that contain a nice chocolate or something a bit more natural. Or you can go done the 'fill your own' route. Must admit I do like a cracker!

HildaW Wed 02-Oct-19 14:55:29

If we want to be 'greener' at Christmas its better to avoid all the shiny wrapping paper which has very thin (and almost invisible) plastic foils within it. I tend to get decent quality brown parcel paper on a roll and stamp it randomly and then use proper (but inexpensive) haberdashery style ribbon to make a bow.

Sara65 Wed 02-Oct-19 14:55:44

I agree about all the plastic junk Alexa, but crackers are part of the festivities, I’ll definitely be going down the fill my own this year though, just another job to add to the long list!

Anja Wed 02-Oct-19 15:11:57

Alexa you make a good point.

Anja Wed 02-Oct-19 15:13:48

Just found these ethical crackers

And even the chocolate is palm oil free ??

PamelaJ1 Wed 02-Oct-19 15:19:50

Anna, brilliant, palm oil and plastic free. Thanks??

Anja Wed 02-Oct-19 15:27:11

Just ordered some myself ....

Anja Wed 02-Oct-19 15:28:55

Alexa thank you for this thread. I’m normally very much on the job when it comes to plastic and we are virtually plastic free in this household.

Witzend Wed 02-Oct-19 15:38:04

We have to have crackers! And to me the awfulness of the tat is half the fun - I only buy cheap ones, so the bits of plastic are tiddly.. Wouldn't want chocolate ones - we have enough of that anyway. Did once buy some with 'quality' gifts - still tat IMO, though maybe not plastic.
I do try to do the less-plastic bit through the year anyway, e.g. glass bottles from the milkman, just for starters.

Sara65 Wed 02-Oct-19 16:00:07

I always have problems with crackers anyway, considering they are mainly for the children, there are very few with child appropriate gifts, I don’t think they would want a screwdriver set, plastic rain hat, or some nail clippers, we’ll nobody does do they? It’s time a bit more imagination went into crackers, and a definite nod to being more environmentally aware.

Calendargirl Wed 02-Oct-19 16:30:14

Never been into crackers, does this make me a grumpy old woman? Always hate sitting with a silly paper hat on during the meal. My family never had crackers, but DH’s always did apparently, even though they were hard up with eight children. I agree about the tat inside, most of it just chucked. The only things I do like are the mini photo frames, just big enough to put pics of the GC’s in when they were small.

PamelaJ1 Wed 02-Oct-19 17:33:46

Sorry Anja, I promise I didn’t type Anna!
I’ve just found that Lakeland do empty crackers - 6 for £12.99.
Yours seem better value.

Chestnut Thu 03-Oct-19 13:11:51

Just found reusable crackers here which look perfect!
www.keepthiscracker.com/

lemongrove Thu 03-Oct-19 13:28:42

Sara65 [ grin] have never found a rain hat in a cracker, but the mini screwdriver set has been mega useful over the years.
Our favourite is the ‘mood’ fish.....everyone wants a go at that.

Auntieflo Thu 03-Oct-19 15:25:25

I'm like Witzend. Crackers just have to be tatty, and groanworthy, that's the fun of them.