Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas prep

(284 Posts)
Namsnanny Fri 11-Oct-19 19:58:50

I'm going to keep a kind of diary of some of the things I make and do for Christmas.

If anyone wants to join in they are welcome.

Maybe we can swap ideas. smile

----------------------------------------------------------

First of all I collected up the pruned tendrils from my Wisteria, and wound them around each other to make a wreath.
Still needs a few more strands to plump it out, but when finished I will decorate it.
Not sure whether to go for the trad. Christmas red and green with bits of glitter, or maybe skandi type with natural fir cones cinnamon sticks etc., finished off with a velvet vanilla coloured bow!
I'll have to take a look in the Christmas craft box(es!) to see what is looking the nicest.

Next persuaded my husband to bring down the many boxes of trimmings etc., down for me to check through, and they are now stuffed under the dining table until I get to decorate the house later on.
I cant ask him to trudge them back upstairs, too much stress on the knees!
It gives me the chance to look through and see what is looking a bit jaded and decide if I should buy new.

Found the outside lights and tested some to see if still working. Yes, so arranged them strategically in the back garden.

We had cut back a large tree a couple of weeks ago, which left the view from the window a bit empty, and I didn't like it.
So we dug out a large pot, heaved it (well he heaved I steadied it) onto the sack truck and wheeled it into position.
Then stood the largest pruned branch (about 3ft) into it and filled the pot with earth to hold it in place.

The branch is nicely twisted so I spent a couple of days on and off winding lights around it to emphasise its lovely shape. Fiddly but the effect is very pretty.
Then I filled the top of the pot with some trailing variegated ivy, (being sold off at 50p a pot).

Now I've left the lights off for now, as it is a little bit early!
But I'm looking forward to seeing them everyday from my window over the Christmas period.
It's the one thing that perks me up when the clocks change and windy wet winter seems to stretch out before us.

Namsnanny Wed 27-Nov-19 00:38:04

Just finished my gazillionth Christmas pud hat. This one is for my niece ...3/4 months old!

Namsnanny Wed 27-Nov-19 00:49:54

B9exchange … Which hospice is it?
I'd love to buy some from you, but do you know how we can arrange it?

Namsnanny Wed 27-Nov-19 01:02:43

Witzend ... your chest sounds gorgeous! I love that style.
My daughter loves it too so I renovated a coffee table inlaid with brass detailing as a house warming present.
This photo isn’t it but similar.

Do you keep anything in the chest?

Oh by the way please try to post a photo of it sometime, I’d love to see itgrin

Namsnanny Wed 27-Nov-19 01:15:14

Gonegirl … of course it counts!!

I just wanted to set up a thread for any one doing anything at all for Christmas to post on, not only craft, ( really a photo of the dog with some reindeer antlers on would be great!! grin, or a bag of sprouts bought for Christmas lunch is fine, just about anything)

I love chutney, even though my cooking skills are a bit random (jam doesn't always set etc.,) I just like the thought of home made.

Please don't be intimidated by the very clever people who have shown us all some of their lovely makes.
Just pop in and bring your thoughts and comments and join in!!

Namsnanny Wed 27-Nov-19 01:18:19

Gonegirl …My Christmas cakes are always different.
Every year I strive for consistency, but it's always overcooked or too dry or too wet in the middle so I sit up into the early hours waiting for it to cook through!!
I haven't even made one yet!

Namsnanny Wed 27-Nov-19 01:40:47

Callistemon … ^people who craft are rarely terminally bored!!

and who knows if they're volunteering too,

perhaps you should take the trouble to read the thread properly before criticising hetty.^

Nicely put Callistemon.

I'm not feeling quite so generous,.

Tut Tut hetty you should feel very very, embarrassed.

As your comments are misinformed, unoriginal and meant to cause trouble.

Something a petulant child would say.

Callistemon Wed 27-Nov-19 11:10:36

I must be terminally bored because I am on GN too much at the moment grin when I should be completing some crafts.
However, I've had a bad cold and cough so that's my excuse!

Callistemon Wed 27-Nov-19 11:13:05

I belong to a craft group and we have to take something next month which we've completed.
They are all very talented and I just bumble along in a clumsy way - should I cheat and buy something?
hmm

Gonegirl Wed 27-Nov-19 12:45:07

Callistemon go to the next church Christmas fair you see advertised. They have loads of lovely crafty things you could buy. ?

Gonegirl Wed 27-Nov-19 12:54:11

I did not make this but I bought it from a church Holly Fayre. Gorgeous isn't it. The lady is making me a fir cones silver and red wreath too. The one she had on display was already snapped up unsurprisingly.

Gonegirl Wed 27-Nov-19 12:55:26

NamsnannyI think that's the same with most people's Christmas cakes. We just don't make them often enough to become expert. Once a year just isn't enough, no matter how long we've been doing it.

Gonegirl Wed 27-Nov-19 12:57:09

Hetty you were so helpful on Luckygirl's thread too.

Namsnanny Wed 27-Nov-19 13:43:04

Gonegirl ...I agree both about the hetty and the cake!

Ah well, we all have off days.

Fir cone decoration is very Christmassy.

You will put a photo of the finished wreath up won’t you?
Getting into the spirit now!!smile

Namsnanny Wed 27-Nov-19 13:47:49

Callistemon ... that’s the reason I’ve never joined a craft group (fear of not being good enough!).
The pressure would get to me and i’d Be off ‘sick’ for that meeting!!!
Have you anything you’ve made for family in the past you can borrow to show them?wink

Gonegirl Wed 27-Nov-19 13:49:11

Will do. ?

Got mincemeat to make next. Then start wrapping pressies. Then it'll be marzipan for the cake. On and on it goes. These next few weeks are gonna fly by!

Callistemon Wed 27-Nov-19 16:00:11

Callistemon go to the next church Christmas fair you see advertised. They have loads of lovely crafty things you could buy
Great idea Gonegirl - the only trouble is, in a small community like ours, if I do that and show it off as my own work, someone at the craft afternoon is bound to say "Oh, that's odd, I made that and sent it to the school/church Christmas Fair/Charity shop etc (take your pick) grin

Have you anything you’ve made for family in the past you can borrow to show them? I once made some counted cross stitch Christmas cards which I never went because they went a bit sideways.

Otherwise it's sewing up Mary and Joseph in a hurry or my first attempts at crochet!

Callistemon Wed 27-Nov-19 16:00:41

sent not went

Namsnanny Thu 28-Nov-19 14:40:34

Gonegirl … is the mincemeat with or without suet?
Not that it bothers me, but I've seen a lot of recipes that don't use suet anymore. I suppose they don't last as long but if it is all used up by Boxing Day it doesn't really matter! smile

Callistemon … Good luck with all that sewing up!!
Could you just take in a few of them to save you sewing them all up in a hurry?

Hope you don't have arthritis in fingers sad I have a little in my thumbs and then I give up knitting for a while.

Gonegirl Thu 28-Nov-19 16:20:24

Namsnanny I've got a National Trust recipe that doesn't use suet. I make that one. It keeps fine. Still have a little bit lefty from last year in fact, and will be making mince pies with it when son comes home at the weekend. It's got loads of brandy in it and that must be what makes it keep so well, along with the sugar.

Namsnanny Fri 29-Nov-19 20:32:57

This is my Christmas flower arrangement.
The flowers are fake, but the buds are real. The heat of the hoUse is bringing them on. At this rate they’ll be out and over
Before Dec is upon us!!

Namsnanny Fri 29-Nov-19 22:07:44

I watched Nigella last night making this and that for Christmas.
She had her own mincemeat recipe which seemed to consist of port, brandy, and wine + dried fruit! No fat at all, just sugar and alcohol to preserve it.
Another one without suet.

Should be nice, if a little expensive!

I should imagine back in the middle ages when they actually used minced meat in the mixture, it tasted a bit like a Moroccan tagine. All those spices and fruit together.

Callistemon Fri 29-Nov-19 22:34:49

Jesus complete and in his crib
Mary needs a bottom otherwise all done but her arms look a bit odd
Joseph needs to be finished.
I haven't been very up to the mark this week.

Namsnanny Sat 30-Nov-19 02:08:12

CallistemonMary needs a bottom and her arms look a bit odd!! Sounds like something I would say!

I bet she looks perfectly ok, it's just you are looking for faults.

It's hard finding the energy when you don't feel well isn't it?

As I said earlier I'm a bit of a coward with show and tell.
It's easy on here because a photo doesn't show up the flaws and mistakes!

Witzend Sat 30-Nov-19 07:27:43

I love that little fir cone thing!

I was going to make the Delia mincemeat, like last year, but have realised that I still have quite a lot of shop mincemeat lurking at the back of a kitchen cupboard. So will use that up - maybe with a splash of something from the booze stash to moisten - first batch on Sunday the 1st. Shall take some to very elderly neighbours - they've gone down very well before - to save me and dh from scoffing the lot by Monday night.

I have a mountain of wrapping to do before a far-flung-family meet-up soon. Dining room is littered with bags of presents, huge carrier bag of wrapping paper/tags etc. out of the loft, not to mention cards, lists and address book all over the table. Just as well we only eat there when we have guests!

My 2nd Nativity set, made at least partly to use up some of the vast stash of yarn bought for no. 1, went off to Gdcs' pre-school/reception last week. How long it'll be before the tiny Baby Jesus is buried in playdough, or the donkey's legs get a bad case of rickets, I wouldn't like to say, but heigh ho.

Carillion01 Sat 30-Nov-19 07:44:54

I love this thread.
This might sound a bit strange but our DGD made us a nativity set some years ago. She collected about a dozen very smooth and sort of oval-shaped pebbles and painted each one with the nativity figures...including sheep, donkeys, Angels and wise men. She varnished them, wrapped each one in tissue paper and gave us them in a decorated shoe box. Lovely. This is a treasured, wonderful handmade gift, I'll try to take a photo and post it.
Happy Christmas prepping all ❤️??❤️