Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas prep

(284 Posts)
Namsnanny Fri 11-Oct-19 19:58:50

I'm going to keep a kind of diary of some of the things I make and do for Christmas.

If anyone wants to join in they are welcome.

Maybe we can swap ideas. smile

----------------------------------------------------------

First of all I collected up the pruned tendrils from my Wisteria, and wound them around each other to make a wreath.
Still needs a few more strands to plump it out, but when finished I will decorate it.
Not sure whether to go for the trad. Christmas red and green with bits of glitter, or maybe skandi type with natural fir cones cinnamon sticks etc., finished off with a velvet vanilla coloured bow!
I'll have to take a look in the Christmas craft box(es!) to see what is looking the nicest.

Next persuaded my husband to bring down the many boxes of trimmings etc., down for me to check through, and they are now stuffed under the dining table until I get to decorate the house later on.
I cant ask him to trudge them back upstairs, too much stress on the knees!
It gives me the chance to look through and see what is looking a bit jaded and decide if I should buy new.

Found the outside lights and tested some to see if still working. Yes, so arranged them strategically in the back garden.

We had cut back a large tree a couple of weeks ago, which left the view from the window a bit empty, and I didn't like it.
So we dug out a large pot, heaved it (well he heaved I steadied it) onto the sack truck and wheeled it into position.
Then stood the largest pruned branch (about 3ft) into it and filled the pot with earth to hold it in place.

The branch is nicely twisted so I spent a couple of days on and off winding lights around it to emphasise its lovely shape. Fiddly but the effect is very pretty.
Then I filled the top of the pot with some trailing variegated ivy, (being sold off at 50p a pot).

Now I've left the lights off for now, as it is a little bit early!
But I'm looking forward to seeing them everyday from my window over the Christmas period.
It's the one thing that perks me up when the clocks change and windy wet winter seems to stretch out before us.

JackyB Fri 25-Sep-20 08:54:27

I love the tuna can idea oopsadaisy3. I wish we ate enough tuna fish to make a whole row of them to decorate over the mantelpiece.

As for the outside, I have lots of saved scraps of gift wrap and also some cotton prints with seasonal designs that would look good. Or just tie broad ribbon round them, although that may mean some outlay if you don't have the right width in your sewing basket. You could then tie say 5 of them together with varying lengths of ribbon and hang them like a bunch of grapes.

faye17 Fri 25-Sep-20 10:34:54

Oooh Witzend... that wreath is soooo cute
You are one talented girlie flowers

Witzend Sat 26-Sep-20 15:24:04

6 lbs of mincemeat!
That should keep me and dh in mince pies for a week or two.??

faye17 Wed 30-Sep-20 07:44:37

Nice Witzend!!!!
Christmas 2020 shaping up very well indeed ☺

Parsley3 Wed 30-Sep-20 10:06:27

I love this thread. I make Christmas baubles for the family every year. This year I have tried needle felting kits from Hobbycraft as my poor thumbs make knitting difficult. I am currently working on a wee penguin.

Sarnia Wed 30-Sep-20 10:09:16

M0nica

The Christmas Spreadsheet will be opened up on Tuesday evening, to the sound of Christmas music and Christmas planning will start.

Meanwhile, I do already have a collection of stocking presents and other trifles purchased over the last 10 months, hidden in a drawer.

Christmas decorations and the like come down from the loft the last weekend in November.

Oh well done MOnica. I buy things as and when I see them, then for the life of me can't remember where I hid them!

Witzend Mon 05-Oct-20 17:51:24

Wasn’t looking for any such thing, but found something v good for dh’s stocking today - huge (£10) bag of mixed nuts in Waitrose. (He’s a nut addict).

Namsnanny Thu 22-Oct-20 20:52:30

Witzend I've just caught up with this thread, your mincemeat looks delicious!
You've kick started me so, Ive stewed the apples from our trees, and put it in the freezer.
Ready for the base of the mincemeat (which is suitable for vegans as my kids are now).

And I've made 6 sticky date puddings (Delia Smiths recipe) we like in place of xmas pud.
They are also in the freezer.

Not that we shall be seeing anyone, but it's nice to keep up traditions isnt it?

Love all of your Christmas makes, you've been very busy over lockdown! smile

Hope you enjoy back reading the thread FannyCornforth
I'm going to do that too. So I can get into the Christmas crafting spirit!

Faye17 ... Lovely knitted Mr and Mrs Claus, but completely out shone by your beautiful darling GS smile
So glad your son is doing well too!