Gransnet forums

Christmas

sister's gift

(37 Posts)
sandye Thu 24-Oct-19 18:54:18

What can I get my sister and her husband? any ideas? I normally spend 20-30 pounds each. They have everything and money enough to buy whatever, I have stuck with PJ's in the past but would like something different. Nether drive so nothing for a car. I'm just at a loss, they don't drink ether.

52bright Thu 31-Oct-19 17:34:39

Think the meal voucher of some kind sounds good. When I am lucky enough to get one [rarely] it always feel like a really special treat to dine/lunch or tea out and not have to pay.

boodymum67 Sat 09-Nov-19 13:50:24

make a hamper up yourself...with extra special foods....or bathroom goodies....or speciality teas...or......

boodymum67 Sat 09-Nov-19 13:51:57

what about making a hamper up....with unusual foods....or bathroom delights...or speciality teas...or.....

GrannyLaine Sat 09-Nov-19 14:02:57

Cinema vouchers? Escape rooms? Theatre tickets? The Bloom and Wild idea is lovely too, I'd second that. Photobooks are always a winner (I use Photobox) but it does take some time.

Grammaretto Sat 09-Nov-19 14:36:41

I was also going to suggest a homemade hamper. If they don't want something they can always regift it!
One very Green friend who doesn't want to buy more "Things" managed to get everyone something from charity shops last year. She didn't find it any easier to get the perfect gift mind, but it cost less and there was no plastic or online involved.
Theatre tickets but they will be costly.
Someone bought us tickets last year and it was great!

Doodledog Sat 09-Nov-19 14:49:41

If people have everything they want and need, plus no shortage of money, I really dont see why they would either want or expect gifts, or why anyone with less money then them would feel compelled to buy for them. It seems almost immoral to me!

Are gifts only meant for those who have less than the giver?

That seems a strange way to look at it to me - almost as though gifts are a form of charity. Yes, Christmas can sometimes be a chance to give something that a loved one needs; but to me it is also a chance to show family and friends that you have thought of them, and know the sort of thing that they would see as a treat.

It doesn't have to be expensive - the perfect bookmark for an avid reader, a quirky set of cookie cutters for a Bakeoff fan, or the modern equivalent of a mixtape (a usb stick with meaningful tracks, or a Spotify playlist) can be very cheap, but show that the recipient is loved, and may mean a lot more than a showy gift that they could have bought themselves.

notanan2 Sat 09-Nov-19 14:53:20

Food hamper

noreen319 Fri 15-Nov-19 15:00:20

I have recently just bought a gift pack for my sister, as I wanted to get her something different. She is vegan, so I thought I should buy her something vegan and eco-friendly. I thought this Eco-Warrior Gift Pack would be a perfect present for her, which I hope she'll love.

Madgran77 Fri 15-Nov-19 16:57:11

Red letter days voucher ...for Afternoon Tea maybe?

FearlessSwiftie Thu 19-Dec-19 06:42:34

Last year I gave my step-sister the photo calendar I`ve created myself with the photo calendar creator software. I`m interested in all this stuff cause I`m good at working with programs, I just like finding some ways to do this and that myself but this calendar maker was super easy, I even got upset haha. So yeah, I decorated it with my sister`s photos from our school years along with some pics of our parents, her boyfriend and me. She had left for college this year and took this calendar with her, it reminds her of home and she says she loves it. Maybe this will work for you as well

travelsafar Thu 19-Dec-19 07:40:59

Have they any hobbies. If your sister knits or sews how about an embroidery kit or some nice knitting yarn, pattern and the needles or crochet hook to complete. I would be thrilled with that. If your BIL has a hobby something relating to that if not a magazine subscription to something he is interested in.