Gransnet forums

Christmas

John Lewis Christmas Advert

(168 Posts)
B9exchange Thu 14-Nov-19 08:53:03

This year's is kind of cute although still seems too early for me. But isn't it a re-run of something, I recall the story of a dragon who caused trouble with his flames and was then hired at the bakery when the oven failed, was that a children's story I read to my children, Denis the Dragon?

jannxxx Mon 18-Nov-19 14:52:51

cute so they say but im a john lewis broadband customer and the monthly payment goes up this time every year all to pay for a ruddy commercial

Callistemon Sun 17-Nov-19 21:19:53

Just watching the War of the Worlds

Shall I tell him the ending? grin

lemongrove Sun 17-Nov-19 21:06:23

Haha, tell him that women have better antennae's attuned for knowing what will happen.

Callistemon Sun 17-Nov-19 21:02:32

As DH always says:

"I suppose you wrote this one too, as you always know the ending"
grin

lemongrove Sun 17-Nov-19 20:49:24

In the immortal words of Paul McCartney ( Penny Lane)
‘Though she feels she’s in a play.....she is anyway!
Deja vu ...sounds as if I’ve heard that before somewhere.?

Callistemon Sun 17-Nov-19 20:45:43

grin

But there are only a few themes for books, plays etc (do I remember correctly that there are only about six or seven?)
so the storyline could seem familiar.

I often have a feeling of dejà vu!

lemongrove Sun 17-Nov-19 20:30:09

It’s just you Callistomen ?

......I haven’t seen Frozen so can’t compare ( you could be right) ⛄️❄️

Callistemon Sun 17-Nov-19 20:13:44

It's a different take on the Disney film Frozen surely?

Everything Elsa came near and pointed at froze and turned to ice, everything Edgar comes near melts or catches fire.
The little girl with auburn hair is like Ana - both save the day with love.

Or is it just me who thinks that?

AllTheLs Sun 17-Nov-19 15:59:46

Seen it at last!

It's lovely.... What's not to like?

lemongrove Sun 17-Nov-19 15:53:28

I agree Pagzy ?watched it last night and thought it was really charming.

Pagzy Sun 17-Nov-19 15:20:49

Just seen the JL advert and I was in tears. To me it was about someone who feels excluded from society for reasons outside their control, but one friend understands. She gives the perfect gift to make her friend feel part of society again So moving.

cas58 Sun 17-Nov-19 07:21:01

For what it's worth there are two people of colour. A man and a woman.

Maggiemaybe Sat 16-Nov-19 19:01:40

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/03/07/john-lewis-cuts-bonus-3pc-profits-tumble/amp/

Maggiemaybe Sat 16-Nov-19 18:58:07

Well, I love the advert, and that’s a first for me this year. Maybe if Edgar boosts JL profits, the staff will get a better bonus.

Though to be fair they got a 3% bonus in March and a 5% pay rise last year (I googled it), so they’re not exactly the Bob Cratchitts of the retail world. smile

grapefruitpip Sat 16-Nov-19 18:07:36

My little tale about JL. I had vouchers, my husbands leaving present from work and somehow, I went to spend them and dropped them. The staff were absolutely vile to me.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sat 16-Nov-19 15:38:33

My DH used to work for JL. The staff were supposed to be regarded as 'partners' , not employees and used to be given a bonus each year as their share of the profits they had contributed to the company making. Well, that dropped off sharply a few years back, while management apparently continued to rake off more, at about the same time as these OTT adverts started up. So, I'm guessing the humble workers are missing out on their bonuses to fund this twaddle.

Anniebach Sat 16-Nov-19 10:49:27

Gonegirl ?

Sara65 Sat 16-Nov-19 10:47:49

Agree with Gonegirl

Callistemon Sat 16-Nov-19 10:11:58

the true meaning of Christmas
Well I finished sewing up Baby Jesus, now to do the rest.

SirChenjin Sat 16-Nov-19 10:09:37

“World War 1 advert ( my absolute favourite ever)”

Mine too janipat Such a moving reminder of (for me) the true meaning of Christmas smile

Gonegirl Sat 16-Nov-19 10:07:52

DON'T READ THIS THREAD

Any Christmas spirit you might have had sneaking up on you, will disappear in an instant.

Stay clear.

miserable sods on board

Callistemon Sat 16-Nov-19 10:04:22

which all go into their pockets

JL is run differently than other retail companies in that it is run as a trust, all their employees are partners and receive a bonus out of the profits.
So yes, it will go into their pockets but not just those at the top, also to all those working even harder in the run-up to Christmas.

Grandma2213 Sat 16-Nov-19 02:24:09

I'm only joining in because I'm bored at present. I have seen Christmas adverts though can't say I actually 'watch' them. I certainly have no idea who is paying obscene amounts of money to produce them. By the way, I have never bought anything from John Lewis and am not likely to.
The one I have seen this year shows a poor old man minding his own business walking down the street. The neighbours club together to give him a gift, presented by the obligatory cute little girl. Then they have a noisy party in his house clearly using his electric and probably grinding food, glitter and other unmentionables into his carpet. I have no idea who is paying silly money to produce this but I feel sorry for this poor old fella. I'm sure that's not meant to be the message behind it.

janipat Sat 16-Nov-19 00:42:49

Prefer the Sainsbury's one and at least they donate the profits from any associated merchandising to charity. This year there aren't any, but the World War 1 advert ( my absolute favourite ever) and Mog the Cat ones did. John Lewis make a packet out of associated sales, which all go into their own pockets, no spirit of Christmas giving there. This one is better than last year and the guy on the moon one. They'll never beat Bear and Hare or the Snowman one for me, but I do think the budget is obscene in this present climate.

grannybuy Fri 15-Nov-19 23:59:59

I really liked the one, a few years back, using Paloma Faith's
' Never Tear Us Apart '. I know it wasn't one for kids, but I didn't tire of it.