Gransnet forums

Christmas

Most successful presents you've ever given?

(28 Posts)
Witzend Thu 28-Nov-19 11:15:23

Posted since I just remembered one for my mother, who was often difficult to buy for.

I had a very small, black and white snap, taken before her birth in 1918, of her mother and her granny - both of whom she loved very much - and her sister at maybe 2, who she'd never really got on with at all, especially in later years.

Before the days of being to do any such thing at home,, I took the snap to a photographer and asked him to enlarge it as far as feasible.

Having got that, I then cut out her mother and granny separately, discarded her sister!! ? - and put them in a dark blue velvet-covered frame with twin ovals for the photos.

I wasn't there to see her open it, but my father said he'd never seen her so pleased with anything - first time he'd ever said any such thing.
Such success was never quite repeated, alas!

Other was a huge, squashy stuffed elephant a dd of 9 or 10 saw in a shop window and coveted. However it was very expensive and out of the question - until shortly before Christmas, when I saw it reduced by 50%!

It still lives here - Gdcs love it.

Would love to hear of anyone else's.

HurdyGurdy Mon 23-Dec-19 18:54:57

6pm Christmas Eve, my four year old DS1 decided he absolutely HAD to have a Little Tykes Cosy Coupe car. It was "the only thing in the world" he wanted. Needless to say, he hadn't got one.

Cue quick phone call around all the friends I could think of to see if anyone had one they'd be willing to sell, and hallelujah! one did. He was the happiest little boy in the world - and I was the most relieved mummy in the world.

On the year the Nintento Wii was launched, it was absolute gold dust. Pre-ordered well in advance and still supplies seemed sparse. DS2 was desperate for one. His friend had got one for his birthday at the beginning of December, this was all DS2 had been talking about for months, since it's launch was announced.

I had ordered one, but all that had arrived was the nunchuck controller. I was so downhearted, thinking I was going to let him down for the first time ever.

It arrived the day before Christmas Eve, but I had primed DS2 that he may not get it (fortunately it was not a Father Christmas year) which he'd accepted. Come Christmas morning, I could see his face scanning the presents to see what looked the right size, and it wasn't there. He opened the nunchuck controller, and I apologised that he didn't have the Wii, but at least he could take the controller to his friend's house to play on his console. He was so brave, bless him (gosh, I feel horrible just typing this now - but bear with me!) but his bottom lip was definitely wobbling a bit.

Once all the gifts had been opened, I announced "right, that's it. Whilst I'm clearing up the wrapping paper etc, you kids go upstairs and bring me down your washing, and make sure you get the stuff out from under your beds".

It took about 20 seconds before the piercing scream came, accompanied by shouts of yes!! yes!! YESSSSSSSS !!!! when he found the present under his bed.

I think we spent most of Christmas Day playing bowling on the Wii. Best gift ever!! And got the best reaction!

GrannySomerset Mon 23-Dec-19 19:14:20

DS aged not quite 3 asked FC for a trumpet and a policeman’s helmet - nothing else. On Christmas morning no happier child existed and, fifty years later, he still remember the best Christmas stocking ever. Still haven’t told him how hard it was to locate those two items!