Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas Decs up and taking down

(42 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Thu 05-Dec-19 16:02:33

I don’t tend to have a certain date when Putting decs up like most people seem to do. We are quite relaxed in our household and always put up around ten days before Xmas sometimes later, but always take down shock horror before New Year’s Day,

Witzend Fri 06-Dec-19 19:09:05

Usually depends on whether we have any guests before Christmas. Last year the whole lot went up by about the 6th, since we had guests staying a couple of nights.

Usually more like the 16th ish, depending on the diary. Tree always needs dh to manhandle and saw a bit off the bottom, and both of us to settle it in a bucket of wet gravel.

I put a few bits up yesterday but no tree yet, since brother and SiL were coming for lunch, and a small potted tree with lights has been outside the front door since 1st Dec, as usual.

We never take them down until 6th January. TBH I find January, esp. the first half, quite dreary enough anyway, so the longer it's brightened up a bit, the better.

ninathenana Fri 06-Dec-19 20:15:13

All decorations go up about 10 days before and come down 2nd January.

TwiceAsNice Fri 06-Dec-19 20:45:09

Tree and ogre decorations went up on the 1st of Dec or the weekend nearest to it. Love Christmas

TwiceAsNice Fri 06-Dec-19 20:45:35

Other not ogre . Phone does what it likes

M0nica Fri 06-Dec-19 21:04:07

As others are putting up lights and decorations earlier each year, we are moving with the crowd. The artificial tree in our front bay window will go up this weekend.

We went out and bought our real tree for the living room today because if we leave it any later, we find the best trees are sold and only the scrappy ones are left. However it is out in the garden and will be there for at least another week.

We are away to a Christmas Market for four days this week and when we get back I will just gradually put the rest of the decorations up bit by bit over the next few weeks.

When they come down depends entirely on when the family go home, usually New Years day +/- a couple of days. Once they are all back home and I have had 24 hours to recover, I start taking the decorations down.

Harris27 Fri 06-Dec-19 21:25:05

I always put them up second Sunday in December down New Year’s Day.

BlueSapphire Fri 06-Dec-19 21:35:42

Second weekend of December here for tree and decorations, depends upon when DS or DSil can come over and get them down from the loft for me.

They come down twelfth night, as I love them up for as long as possible.

Decorations will be stored in the garage from now on, so I can get at them easily when I am ready.

AllotmentLil Fri 06-Dec-19 22:19:46

Outside lights went up today. Some more on Monday with DGD but the trees only a week before so they stay fresh. Not down again till Twelfth Night.

EllanVannin Fri 06-Dec-19 22:46:36

And I can't be bothered with all the messing as it's soon over.

Maggiemaybe Fri 06-Dec-19 23:42:35

I got the boxes out to sort and put one or two bits up today, but the bulk of the decorations and the tree won’t go up until about a week before Christmas Day. Everything stays up then till 6th January.

Labaik Sat 07-Dec-19 00:16:27

For probably the third year running I won't bother with anything. Which is a shame as I got some of the decoration boxes out yesterday and I've collected some beautiful stuff over the years. We go to my daughters on Christmas Day and people rarely come here so there's no one to see it. This was going to be the year when I really celebrated Christmas but it's all gone a bit wrong. The young dog would probably destroy the tree if I left her with it for a second. Might change my mind...

Calendargirl Sat 07-Dec-19 07:41:25

Put ours up first weekend in December. Biggish artificial tree in sitting room, then two more in the conservatory, both cast offs from work, but still good. When I was working, used to like to see lighted trees in houses in the dark as I drove to and from work, so always put the lights on as soon as I get up in the morning. Plus candle bridges in four windows, like them also.
After Christmas soon want stuff down. Certainly before New Year. Will be down the first weekend after the 25th this year.
?

Greyduster Sat 07-Dec-19 08:37:33

We are away for five days over Christmas so we are not putting up the full panoply of “stuff” this year. The tree is up because the family are coming to lunch tomorrow and I wanted at least a whiff of the season. We will, however, take a small fibre optic tree and some decs with us to the apartment we are in for GS (and Grandad - he loves Christmas, wherever he is!). I am another who wants the decorations down as soon as possible after New Year’s Day.

Happysexagenarian Sat 07-Dec-19 16:43:19

I haven't put any decs up yet. I like to give the house a good clean before I decorate it, so maybe next weekend. In years past it has sometimes even been Christmas Eve before I've got the decorations up!

I prefer to take them down before New Years day. It has always seemed odd to me to start a new year with last year's decorations still up. But in recent years it depends when our AC and GC are visiting, if they can't come until after Christmas, or even the New Year, then I leave the decorations up to prolong the festive spirit.

mamaa Sat 07-Dec-19 17:26:37

Up next weekend, (usually the Sunday that Sports Personality of the Year is on) down on the 2nd-Christmas cards come down earlier in order to get them collected and recycled. One year I took everything down on the 27th as we were going away from 28th til 2nd and I didn't want to come back to 'Christmas' still up in the house.

eazybee Sat 07-Dec-19 17:33:24

Used to go up after 19th, family birthday, now earlier; I am hoping for next weekend for the tree, but introduce other decorations more slowly; they never come down before 12th Night. Hate this habit of putting up decorations in first week of December, even end of November, as the trees and decorations look tatty by Christmas Day.