Gransnet forums

Christmas

Lodgepole Xmas trees.

(32 Posts)
Gonegirl Sun 08-Dec-19 10:53:42

Anyone had one?

Gonegirl Sun 08-Dec-19 10:57:11

josephnoblett.com/christmas-trees/lodge-pole-pine-christmas-tree/

I've read on a couple of websites that they are one of the most popular Xmas trees in the UK. I'm not sure about that.

I'm going to look at one today. Fancy a change.

grannyactivist Sun 08-Dec-19 11:05:06

I was going to say that we usually have a Norway spruce, but actually in this case there is no 'we', this is entirely the domain of The Wonderful Man. He has always chosen the Christmas tree, but as we discussed with our lodger last night, he has never decorated one. Although to be fair he has sometimes put the lights on it. hmm

MawB Sun 08-Dec-19 11:20:52

Isn’t this advertising Gonegirl?

kittylester Sun 08-Dec-19 11:26:23

We are renting ours this year.

Gonegirl Sun 08-Dec-19 12:43:03

Maw I only put that website to show what a Lodgepole Pine looks like. Not advertising. Our local garden centre has got a few of them and I would get it from there.

Gonegirl Sun 08-Dec-19 12:43:42

Yeah, I've read about renting them kitty. I would be afraid the thing would die on me though. grin

Nannylovesshopping Sun 08-Dec-19 12:50:30

Very interested as to why you would rent a tree?

love0c Sun 08-Dec-19 13:04:19

We used to always get a Norway Spruce as the smell is gorgeous but it does drop its needles eventually even when standing in water. The last few years we have had a Nordman. Superb tree and it does not drop is needles. The last few years we have managed to get one from Homebase at the start of December for £15 and that is for a 7ft tree! They seem to have an offer on each year.

Grammaretto Sun 08-Dec-19 13:21:58

Lodge poles are popular mainly because they are soft and not too prickly.
For the last couple of years I have used my old dead tree as a prop for my sweet peas. I leave it outside until the needles fall off , trim it to shape and "plant" it. I even sent a photo to gardener's question time (to put on their website presumably)

hazel93 Sun 08-Dec-19 13:45:24

We normally do have a Nordmann - lovely tree. This year , probably against my better judgement , it's " Farmer Toms Sussex Fir ", otherwise known as the Canaan Fir.
We shall see !

J52 Sun 08-Dec-19 13:57:31

I have successfully kept my growing tree from last year. I repotted it, fed and watered well.
I brought it in a couple of days ago so that it could acclimatise and I’ve just finished decorating it.

Callistemon Sun 08-Dec-19 14:03:06

Where's that thread about things you never knew?

I'll add Lodge Pole pine trees.

BlueBelle Sun 08-Dec-19 14:13:57

Gosh who could have realised there would a pecking order in Christmas trees ?well I ve got an artificial one not because I like them better but because I can keep it for years (cheaper)
Yes nannylovesshopping that’s a new one on me too

kittylester Sun 08-Dec-19 14:58:06

nannylovesshopping because they collect them after Christmas and grow them on and then they go out for rent next year!

Rather like j52 does only she has greener fingers the we do.

(Though if she comes back, she might like to know my schizophrenias did well this year! )

kittylester Sun 08-Dec-19 15:05:38

And, it is no more expensive than buying one and I really really hated trying to open up a plastic one.

Grammaretto Sun 08-Dec-19 15:24:20

we used to dig up a tree each year and plant them back but now those trees are fully grown fir trees. There are 3 gigantic ones now.
I think you must keep yours in a pot J52

We buy ours from our local community woodland but it's still too early.

M0nica Sun 08-Dec-19 15:45:01

We have one of each. An artificial one in the front bay and a real one for the living room.

We have a seven foot tree from a local Christmas tree farm, that at some point in the past was the biggest Christmas tree growing farm in the country.

On our way home we drove past a newly planted plantation of their trees that might well contain our Christmas tree for 2025.

Gonegirl Sun 08-Dec-19 16:36:51

I wonder if it's somehow better for the environment - re ting a tree. Wouldn't you have to have a large pot to accommodate the roots?

I looked at the Lodgepole, didn't like it and bought a Nordman.

Gonegirl Sun 08-Dec-19 16:37:15

renting

kittylester Sun 08-Dec-19 16:48:53

They deliver it and collect it gonegirl. And I hope they dont tell you off if the pesky thing dies.

We did it because it seems like a more ecologically sound thing to do.

We haven't done it before so I'll report back.

love0c Sun 08-Dec-19 16:51:09

We used to bring our real tree in for one room but the pot got too big and heavy after about 6 years. Now buy two real ones every year. If nobody came at Christmas probably would only buy the one.

Gonegirl Sun 08-Dec-19 18:25:47

I have been googling Xmas tree hire near us. You can have the same tree year after year! They put a metal tag on it when they replant it. They nurture it and trim it so it doesn't get too big for your house.

They are happy trees. You can bond with your tree. ?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 08-Dec-19 18:42:45

This year we are having a Balsam Fir. It smells of oranges.

Last year was a Fraser Fir again smelling of oranges. I can thoroughly recommend the Fraser - it lasted the whole 12 days of Christmas and was as fresh at the end as at the beginning. It is the most popular tree in the USA apparently.

Having a Balsam for a change.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 08-Dec-19 18:43:56

Might look into rental next year, but haven’t seen it advertised here in South East.