Gransnet forums

Christmas

What’s your fav part of Christmas

(125 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sat 14-Dec-19 19:52:35

For me.its the grandchildren opening their presents, the shrieks of joy, playing with them with their toys etc, seeing everyone happy,

endlessstrife Sun 15-Dec-19 17:58:10

I love what it all means, but I worry about all the people who find it so hard, or are just lonely. I don’t like the pressure it puts on people.

Mamma66 Sun 15-Dec-19 19:09:42

Christmas Eve when we have our traditional family tea, fourteen of us or so squished around the dinning room table drinking endless cups of tea, cold meat, pork pie, pickles, bread and butter. When my lovely Mum was still alive she’d play the piano and we’d sing Christmas Carols. Love it so much. I am so fortunate to have a lovely and loving family ❤️

susani2dly Sun 15-Dec-19 20:50:49

Just him and me, never had a big family Christmas, so my best part is when lunch is done and washed up, the Queens Speech is on and we can drift off to sleep in warmth and comfort.

HillyN Sun 15-Dec-19 21:09:21

I love the last Sunday before Christmas when the children perform their Nativity play at church. We always have a real baby to play the part of Jesus. This year my youngest granddaughter will be Jesus and my eldest grandson will be Joseph, so it will be very special. Then in the evening the church is packed for the Carols by Candlelight and I love the singing.
The best part of Christmas Day itself is, and always has been, opening my stocking. tchsmile

Sawsage2 Sun 15-Dec-19 23:07:49

1980-90 Remembering all the Christmas mornings when my two young daughters opened their presents, from a pillow case on the landing, on our bed at 6.30am. Now they're grown with children of their own.

Evie64 Sun 15-Dec-19 23:44:00

I love the overindulgence of the Christmas meal, that feeling of "my God, I'm busting". Does that make me greedy? Yeah, probably.......blush

newnanny Sun 15-Dec-19 23:56:01

My favourite Christmas thing is choosing and decorating the tree. I always choose one at least 8 foot tall and we put it up in conservatory as roof is higher. I actually like cooking dinner for family too and making table look nice with best china.

Fiachna50 Mon 16-Dec-19 00:33:13

I loved Christmas as a child. Now, I just love seeing my grandchild so happy and singing at their first Nativity play. Carols at Kings on Christmas Eve is a lovely service to watch. I do enjoy the day but also like the evening when you can sit and watch TV, read or whatever. I also like listening to the Salvation Army band the week before. Being with family on the day (where possible) is lovely, as is meeting up with friends either before Christmas or in the New Year.I hope all on here have a peaceful Christmas when it arrives.

margie303 Mon 16-Dec-19 04:14:23

I'm a singer in a big choral society. I've been singing in choirs since I was 17. For mw it's always the Christmas music, the beautiful carols with their words of hope, bringing light into these dark times and the soaring descants, imagining singing with the angels. I love it ( you probably guessed that). This year we sang Handels Messiah. What an evening that was.

rosemarigold Mon 16-Dec-19 05:54:53

Yes GreyDuster!

BradfordLass72 Mon 16-Dec-19 06:34:46

MawB I bought mine from the SPCK shop, Bradford in 1967. Here's a better pic - glad it evoked happy memories.

Each year my dil says she loves it. Today I said, 'Well, you'll inherit it one day.'
'Oooh, goodie!' she replied, clearly oblivious to the implications...or maybe not grin

No, Vickyja I don't have a cat nor, as far as I am aware, mice - who only tend to venture indoors during winter anyway.

Neilspurgeon0 Mon 16-Dec-19 08:07:05

Thirteenth night, all over fur another year. I am a firm Bah Humbug type

caramel Mon 16-Dec-19 08:44:25

The build up to Christmas shopping, writing cards, thinking of people you know but haven't seen for a while and those no longer with you seem closer. Most of all forgetting about the awful weather.

Shropshirelass Mon 16-Dec-19 08:59:48

I used to love Christmas, but now the children have grown up and moved away it has changed. It has now lost its magic and for me I am glad when it is over and the mad scramble everywhere has gone. Am I getting old and grumpy? I don't think so, it is too commercial for me.

Bobbysgirl19 Mon 16-Dec-19 09:12:10

I really like Christmas Eve, after the shops have closed and I say to myself if I haven’t bought it now - it’s just tough!

Listening to the Christmas carols on the radio and TV, I always feel that feeling of expectation in the air of things to come.

Talking of funny sayings - At Christmas Day dinner when the last person had put their knife and fork together on their plate,
My Gran always said “Well that’s it over for another year” .

absthame Mon 16-Dec-19 21:31:19

GGKs Christmas nativity plays or whatever their school does. It matters little if one of ours is Mary, Joseph, a King or a sheep the occasional choreographed wave, shouts, smiles and even cries is what Christmas is about .................. CHILDREN and LOVE, it's just great.

Witchypoo Wed 18-Dec-19 08:53:19

When its over. On my own, no friends. Very lonely time. Just another day like today and tomorrow and yesterday

inkcog Wed 18-Dec-19 09:05:25

Witchy please dm me.

computor Thu 19-Dec-19 17:13:25

opening our presents we brought for each other and xmas dinner.

Urmstongran Thu 19-Dec-19 17:51:48

Bobbysgirl snap & snap! See my post up thread!

Bobbysgirl19 Fri 20-Dec-19 18:24:48

Ha ha, had a read Urmstongran, a woman after my own heart!

Grandad1943 Fri 20-Dec-19 19:06:42

I love all of Christmas which begins for me and my wife with the Carol service at a local church overlooking the Bristol Channel on Sunday.

Christmas Eve afternoon we always attend the Christingle service at a local church with the Grandchildren, then on to a pub on the seafront for a Christmas appetiser, then, an early return home followed by a quiet evening with just the two of us

We then have twelve coming to us for Christmas Day lunch, at which I will be Head Chef, ?, but always a lovely occasion with copious amounts of wine drank and ever louder laughter with each course of food I plonk on the table.

That will be followed by my birthday celebration which is to be held at one of my three daughters homes on the Saturday between Christmas and new year, that is when I drink copious amounts of wine and engage in loud laughter.

We then leave on Monday to join a group of life-long friends to spend the New Year in North Devon at a lovely Hotel on Exmoor with roaring log fires, great food and great walks for which we have gone for the last three years.

Really got into the Christmas spirit today thinking about it, and looking forward to it all beginning.

So, a very merry Christmas to all.

ReadyMeals Fri 20-Dec-19 19:13:34

Grandad1943 I swear your post even put ME in the xmas spirit and I usually hate it :D

Bobbysgirl19 Sat 21-Dec-19 10:08:41

Lovely joyous post Grandad, very uplifting.