Gransnet forums

Christmas

According to Christmas cards our neighbours think I am called...

(30 Posts)
Yehbutnobut Sun 15-Dec-19 14:43:11

...strange variations on my actual name. We moved here over 12 years ago and introduced ourselves over the week to various neighbours.

Of course our close ones know us well but every Christmas we both have to laugh. One neighbour thinks I’m married to Barry another to Ian! And DH clearly is polygamous from the variety of names given to me. This despite the fact I write our names clearly on their cards.

Is it just us?

Callistemon Sun 15-Dec-19 23:18:47

We kept one from last year wishing us a merry Christmas but not naming us.
It was unsigned so we thought we'd solve the mystery this year by checking the writing.
So far no luck.

grannyactivist Sun 15-Dec-19 23:27:10

My name has been incorrectly rendered with an 'e' for as long as I can remember, by my sisters! confused

In an email I often sign my name off, only to receive the reply with my name spelled incorrectly. You can see the different spelling of both names in the same glance!

Fortunately I don't mind at all, I just find it disconcerting that people don't actually notice the name-change.

Callistemon Sun 15-Dec-19 23:28:18

I'm sure I've typed Yeahbutnobut in a post
hmm

Maggiemaybe Sun 15-Dec-19 23:34:11

I have a cousin called Lyn, or Lynn, or maybe Lynne.... The reason I’m confused is that when she still lived at home someone (presumably her mum) would ring the changes in the Christmas card they sent us. Comes to something when your parents don’t know how to spell it!